Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
lilyi
RIP Pete Maravich #44

Default Wilt Chamberlain- The Most Dominant Player Ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpRg7c9Yx1o

Wilton Norman "Wilt" Chamberlain (August 21, 1936 October 12, 1999), nicknamed Wilt the Stilt, The Big Dipper, and Chairman of the Boards, was an American professional NBA basketball player for the Philadelphia/San Francisco Warriors, the Philadelphia 76ers and the Los Angeles Lakers; and also played for the Harlem Globetrotters. The 7 foot 1 inch Chamberlain, who weighed 250 lb as a rookie[1] before bulking up to 275 lb and eventually over 300 lb with the Lakers,[2] played the center position and is widely considered one of the greatest and most dominant players in the history of the NBA.
lilyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain- The Most Dominant Player Ever

Wilt was the most dominant player in the 1960's, but Shaq and Jordan are 2 of the most dominant players in NBA History.

Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Wilt was the most dominant player in the 1960's, but Shaq and Jordan are 2 of the most dominant players in NBA History.

I do not understand. Did Shaq and Jordan travel through time to battle all decades of players while Wilt merely dealt with those in the 1960's?
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
Mr Know It All
Local High School Star

Quote:

Uh, you are aware that the 1960s are apart of NBA history right? I guess you could say Jordan is the most dominant player of the 1990s and Wilt is the most dominant player in NBA history.

It's gonna be funny when 40 years from now people will be calling Jordan a scrub who played in a weak era. People like you will wonder why on earth they would say such things.
Mr Know It All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
gigantes
   

check out charley rosen's anecdotes from playing against and watching wilt-- they are eye-opening.

wilt has got to be the strongest guy per body mass in NBA history and one of the most interesting characters- very intelligent, if extremely hard headed.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

I respect Wilt as a great basketball player, but only an idiot would believe that he would score 100 points and grab 100 rebounds in the Modern Era.

I ranked Shaq and Jordan ahead of Wilt Chamberlain because they have more than 4 NBA Championship Rings.

Jordan dominated his opponents in the 1990's, and set several NBA Records during his prime.

Shaq was a monster when he played for the Magic/Lakers, and he had one of the most dominant stats lines in NBA Finals History.

And the NBA Coaches implemented the Hack a Shaq to stop him from scoring because Shaq like Wilt was also a very poor Free Throw Shooter.

Last edited by Lebron23 : 07-08-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I respect Wilt as a great basketball player, but only an idiot would believe that he would score 100 points and grab 100 rebounds in the Modern Era.

I ranked Shaq and Jordan ahead of Wilt Chamberlain because they have more than 4 NBA Championship Rings.

Jordan dominated his opponents in the 1990's, and set several NBA Records during his prime.

Shaq was a monster when he played for the Magic/Lakers, and he had one of the most dominant stats lines in NBA Finals History.

And the NBA Coaches implemented the Hack a Shaq to stop him from scoring because Shaq like Wilt was also a very poor Free Throw Shooter.

I agree, but while I rank Jordan and Shaq ahead of Wilt I rank Kareem ahead of Shaq. Kareem is the 2nd greatest player in NBA history, in my opinion.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
NBASTATMAN
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I do not understand. Did Shaq and Jordan travel through time to battle all decades of players while Wilt merely dealt with those in the 1960's?
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...er_career.html
NBASTATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN
Right, I am wondering why Wilt Chamberlain is declared only great in the 1960's but Shaquille O'Neal and Michael Jordan are declared great throughout all of history?
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
magnax1
Banned

I dont think Shaq deserves to be named in the same Level as Jordan or Wilt. He was good, but he was constantly on some of the most talented teams with the most talented players like, wade, kobe penny, nash.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
I dont think Shaq deserves to be named in the same Level as Jordan or Wilt. He was good, but he was constantly on some of the most talented teams with the most talented players like, wade, kobe penny, nash.

Shaq has won twice as many rings as Wilt in an era with 4 times as many teams. Statistically if you adjust the pace and shot attempts then Shaq's as good if not better than Wilt there as well. And while it's documented that Wilt played for stats for the first half of his career, Shaq never did that. Shaq was selfish a few times off the court, but never on it. He was easily as unstoppable and he stepped up more in the playoffs as well.

Shaq is defintley ahead of Wilt in my opinion.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
Roundball_Rock
NBA rookie of the year

You cannot be the most dominant player when you won only 2 championships in 14 seasons. Jordan is the most dominant player ever. 6 straight rings in 6 full seasons, 8 conference finals in arguably the most competitive era of basketball!
Roundball_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
jlitt
Decent playground baller

To compare dominance you can't compare a player's stats to a player of a different generation. However you can compare a player stats to other player's of that same generation.

For instance wilt vs. jordan wont work

But

Wilt vs. Russell will work as well as Jordan vs. Karl malone.

Now lets compare

The year Wilt avg 50 a game the next closest avg was 31. That is a large discrepancy.

when he avg 44 a game the next closest was 34 a game

another large discrepancy

The year jordan avg 37 the next highest avg was 29 a discrepency by 8 ppg the largest of his career. the next highest was when he scored 35 and the next highest was 30

wilt....avg more than 19 and 10 than his n earest compeitor......jordan's highest are 8 and 5..... that is dominance.
jlitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
momo
Value Ape.

"The Most Dominant Player Ever" is a name Shaq came up with him self
so he could have a title without having to answer comparison questions... so we might as well call Wilt the big Cactus
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #15
WiltTheStilt
Not airballing my layups anymore

Not the most dominant ever, but definitely up there.
WiltTheStilt is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: