Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #16
ShawnieMac06
High School Varsity 6th Man

ShawnieMac06 has an OK reputation so far

I've never watched the Shield, so I won't comment, but I'm really liking this season's Wire. The first season was great, but the second season completely lost me when they got too much away the main storyline (Avon Barksdale), and I didn't watch the third season (didn't get HBO back until recently). This season is getting better by the epsiode, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone eventually gets Marlo Stansfield.

My all-time favorite HBO show was Oz...but the final episodes of that series were complete ****. I was so disappointed in the finale, I can't watch the reruns much anymore. If anybody remembers, they killed off Minister Said and Warden Glynn even before they reached the final episode. Normally if you kill off your main characters, you should at least wait until the final episode.
ShawnieMac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #17
SCdac
NBA sixth man of the year

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

Yeah, I loved Oz. Adebezi (sp?) was def my favorite character... I too was very disappointed with the final season, or so, of Oz. To the point where I pretty much just stopped watching... Was also funny to see Rick Fox in the pen. I think his character was a basketball player too... before he got locked up of course.

The Shield, from what I've heard, is comparable to the Wire (same director/producer?). Never seen it, but I've heard good things. I love the Wire, so maybe I'd like the Shield as well.

Did anybody else watch Mr. Show, with Bob and David? hahaha good stuff. I got the first 2 seasons on DVD.

I was also a huge fan of Carnivale (at least compared to some of my friends, who were just "fans"). For some reason, I really really liked that show. Cool storyline, mysterious, kept you your toes, etc. Nick Stahl isn't too bad either... I was pissed they didn't pick it up for a third season (or anymore seasons for that matter), but oh well. It was cool while it lasted.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:00 PM   #18
the even bigger black guy

the even bigger black guy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Nothing remotely funny with that because the shield is as good as TheWire. YOU may not agree because your OPINION is TheWire. Deal with it. Just another white boy in awe of urban life. It is ok. Hopefully you get the message behind TheWire and not just the pure entertainment aspect it presents.

the shield is nothing but action entertainment. the wire is social commentary. it's an indictment of our educational system, labor unions, political systems, police force, etc.

for you to put the shield on the same level as the wire shows what a moron you are.
the even bigger black guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #19
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
The Shield, from what I've heard, is comparable to the Wire (same director/producer?). Never seen it, but I've heard good things. I love the Wire, so maybe I'd like the Shield as well.

You will but someone will call you a moron as well as the people that told you the shielf was good/comparable to TheWire. So beware.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 PM   #20
the even bigger black guy

the even bigger black guy has decent reputation

the shield isn't a bad show, it just isn't comparable to the wire in any way, shape or form, unless you count both being about police officers.
the even bigger black guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:44 AM   #21
PaulLev
Can barely lace up my sneakers

PaulLev has an OK reputation so far
Default podcast on Season 4 of The Wire - with Idris Elba

I think The Wire's among the top 5 or 10 shows in all of television history - The Sopranos are up there, too, but no show conveys the real world like The Wire.

I put up a new episode of my Light On Light Through the other day - "The Wire Season 4 in 20 with Driis Speaking on Stringer" ... (the "20" is for 20 mins, and Idris talks about his feelings about Stringer Bell and the show in a new rap record)
PaulLev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:53 AM   #22
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

TEXAS BATMAN has decent reputationTEXAS BATMAN has decent reputation

Best series HBO ever did to me was OZ. Before they f#@ked it up with the over the top story lines. Sometimes it was like you were watching a documentary. And 'Besi was the rawest character on television bar none. A one man wrecking crew. When he got killed off I went into shock.

Wire =Great television. Watch it on OnDemand all the time. Every time somebody stops through I get em hooked on it. HBO oughta be sending me certificates for all the service I've sent their way behind this series.
TEXAS BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #23
heavensdevil
Michael Lee

heavensdevil has an OK reputation so far
Default re

When did the wire series begin?... show is sick. check da avatar.
heavensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #24
ShawnieMac06

ShawnieMac06 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensdevil
When did the wire series begin?... show is sick. check da avatar.

It premeired around the summer of 2003. BET will start airing reruns in the few weeks, going back to the first episodes. But being that BET is on basic cable, you know it's going to be heavily edited, for both commericals and content. Each episode is usually about 60 minutes in length (the season finales are 80 minutes long), so unless BET plans on keeping everything in and stretch out the commerical breaks, you're going to see a heavily-edited Wire. I suggest you cop copies of the Wire season sets on DVD or watch every epsiode already airing on HBO and record them.
ShawnieMac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:37 AM   #26
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: OT: The Wire Season 4

lol GOBB posted like he had a tree up his ass back then.
SCREWstonRockets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #27
stardvd555
Can barely lace up my sneakers

stardvd555 has an OK reputation so far

24-Hours-Seasons-1-6-DVD-Boxset
Doctor-Who-Season-1-4-DVD-Boxset
stardvd555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #28
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Sopranos > The Wire overall, but season 4 of the Wire > All Sopranos seasons (except maybe Season 2 and 6B).

The Sopranos had better writing, directing, and acting. It all came together for the wire in season 4 though, that was a masterpiece on it's own.

The Shield? Seriously now, come on.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #29
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
The Sopranos > The Wire overall, but season 4 of the Wire > All Sopranos seasons (except maybe Season 2 and 6B).

The Sopranos had better writing, directing, and acting. It all came together for the wire in season 4 though, that was a masterpiece on it's own.

The Shield? Seriously now, come on.
that's laughable.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #30
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
that's laughable.

Says the guy with the Marlo Stanfield monicker, yeah no bias there . Please illuminate me Mr. Drug Kingpin, why is that 'laughable'?
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: