Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Q.E.C
нυєy

Q.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation here
Default Rockets use Disabled Player Exception on Ariza [Fox 26 News]

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spo...ckets_ariza_yao

Rockets Use Disabled Player Exception on Ariza
Yao Says He Still Has Big Decision to Make
Published : Wednesday, 08 Jul 2009, 2:51 PM CDT

HOUSTON - The Houston Rockets used the NBA Disabled Player Exception to sign free agent forward Trevor Ariza, according to general manager Daryl Morey.

The NBA granted the Disabled Player Exception based on the fact that Yao Ming is not expected to play next season because of his broken left foot.

"As a course of business to give us maximum flexibility, we applied for an injury exception for Yao and it was granted by the league," Morey said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports on Wednesday. "That will allow us to use the Mid-Level Exception to improve the Rockets roster going forward."

By granting the Disabled Player Exception, the NBA is agreeing with the Rockets that it is unlikely that Yao will play during the 2009-2010 season. However, it does not rule out Yao's return. Also, in the unlikely event that Yao does play next season, the Rockets would not be penalized.

The value of the NBA Disabled Player Exception is identical to the Mid-Level Exception. They both begin at approximately $5.8 million per year.

The Rockets chose to use the Disabled Player Exception on Ariza because the NBA only allows it to be used on one player. The Mid-Level Exception can be broken up and used on one or more players.

While Yao is not expected to play next season, he has yet to determine how he will treat his injury going forward.

"I am still considering what course of action is best," Yao said in a statement to FOX 26 Sports issued through his agent John Huizinga.

"Once a decision has been made, I will let people know and I will proceed with the same high level of optimism and dedication that I have had in the past. I look forward to returning to play as soon as my recovery allows."

This means we still have our MLE and we can pick up someone else. Nice move Morey!!
Q.E.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
JusBlaze
I brick open layups

JusBlaze has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Rockets use Disabled Player Exception on Ariza [Fox 26 News]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.E.C
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spo...ckets_ariza_yao

Rockets Use Disabled Player Exception on Ariza
Yao Says He Still Has Big Decision to Make
Published : Wednesday, 08 Jul 2009, 2:51 PM CDT

HOUSTON - The Houston Rockets used the NBA Disabled Player Exception to sign free agent forward Trevor Ariza, according to general manager Daryl Morey.

The NBA granted the Disabled Player Exception based on the fact that Yao Ming is not expected to play next season because of his broken left foot.

"As a course of business to give us maximum flexibility, we applied for an injury exception for Yao and it was granted by the league," Morey said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports on Wednesday. "That will allow us to use the Mid-Level Exception to improve the Rockets roster going forward."

By granting the Disabled Player Exception, the NBA is agreeing with the Rockets that it is unlikely that Yao will play during the 2009-2010 season. However, it does not rule out Yao's return. Also, in the unlikely event that Yao does play next season, the Rockets would not be penalized.

The value of the NBA Disabled Player Exception is identical to the Mid-Level Exception. They both begin at approximately $5.8 million per year.

The Rockets chose to use the Disabled Player Exception on Ariza because the NBA only allows it to be used on one player. The Mid-Level Exception can be broken up and used on one or more players.

While Yao is not expected to play next season, he has yet to determine how he will treat his injury going forward.

"I am still considering what course of action is best," Yao said in a statement to FOX 26 Sports issued through his agent John Huizinga.

"Once a decision has been made, I will let people know and I will proceed with the same high level of optimism and dedication that I have had in the past. I look forward to returning to play as soon as my recovery allows."

This means we still have our MLE and we can pick up someone else. Nice move Morey!!

Smart move by Morey. Came out of left field and everything. Can't wait to see what he does next. Whether it happens tomorrow or next year. I believe he knows exactly what he must do for this team to compete.

I just hope he factors in injured players going forward into his famed "moneyball" calculations i.e. if they are injury prone, leave them alone.

However, great move.
JusBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned

KINGofTHEcourt has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Rockets use Disabled Player Exception on Ariza [Fox 26 News]

Quote:
However, great move.

a BETTER move would be for the rockets to stop hatin' and get money
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #4