Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #16
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

SourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Management HAS to consider...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
No Odom No Dynasty? seriously? Odom is a good player, but he aint THAT good. Even WITH Odom, there is certainly NO guarantee that they win it again.l

odom represents our best mismatch against all of the contenders in the east.

and the fact that there is no guarantee about winning the ship makes me even more sure that buss needs to sign him
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #17
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
but Odom's contract WOULD cost $16m per year, which is a sh!tload for a guy coming off the bench. Lakers may or may not win the ship with Odom.

as for Kobe, they WILL NOT win it without him. Odom, Gasol and Artest are not going to win the championship.

however, Odom's roll may be backfilled by others.
odoms contract would cost 8 million per year, he's not making 16 million, he'll get paid 8 mill, the teams combined salaries are what makes the lakers pay tax... if that's how you look at it i'd be sending bynum off because he starts his new contract this season and he's certainly not worth 24 million...lol
and we know we can win a ring without his help

Last edited by gts : 07-11-2009 at 01:57 AM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #18
SCV42
Buck Foston

SCV42 is popular on this boardSCV42 is popular on this boardSCV42 is popular on this boardSCV42 is popular on this board
Wink Re: Management HAS to consider...

The truth about real-life salary...

You are only worth what someone is willing to pay you. His options are thinning quite quickly.

8.5 should get him. Maybe 9. 10? I don't think he will get it. The Lakers always do the right thing in the long run. They seem to have a knack for making finals appearances from what I have seen over the years. If they don't sign him, a trade could go down midseason or maybe even sooner.

I would love to have him back, but he is a luxury role player that Buss might not want to compound his tax penalty issues with. He was overpaid for most of his career and has played well the last couple years (contract year, also). He finishes game's, however and was tantamount to the Lakers winning the title.

With Lamar, it's so hard to get off the fence and definitively embrace either negotiating perspective for me. I prefer to maintain the status quo but it's not my money.

SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #19
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

hwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
i myself do not look at it as a 16 million dollar per year contract, i think that's a odd way to look at the cap...

i look at the team as a whole as contributing to the lakers being over the luxury tax... lamars possible 8 million dollar per year is not putting the lakers over the cap, they are already there, it's a combination of several larger contracts that give the lakers an 84 million dollar roster.... with that in mind i don't have a problem with paying lamar even 9 million per year, he's more than worth it and has more than proven his value to the team...

kobe is set to sign an extension are we questioning if he is worth 50 million per year?

I like the way you value player, and it's very true, you were patient with a lot of Lakers player, but there are just two problems.

1. Money - Kobe is the ONE that sells ticket, whether we like it or not, people will pay to see KOBE, and him alone. He may not deserve as much money by the time he is old, but he WILL sell tickets.

2. Timing - Odom came off an year where the economy is crap, and everyone was targeting for 2010. Had the cap not been reduced, I do believe more teams would contact Odom. But with how it's gonna look in the future, not a lot of teams can pay Odom. And for a pure business perspective (the part of basketball that sucks), it doesn't make sense for the FO to spend a lot of money.

When you truly think about Jerry doing Lakers as a business instead of just making money, you'll understand that he is great for not spending money compared to big markets like the NYK. He cares. You may not agree, but he truly gets the RIGHT market value off of a lot of players. Ron Ron at 5.6 mil? The winning history had to help. Lakers having a huge fan base by having Kobe (just think about Asia and all those money) Buss knows what he's doing, from a business perspective.

You never want an owner who just spends (Cubna) but an owner who is intelligent. And with that, I introduce you Jerry Buss.
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #20
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwliuLAP
1. Money - Kobe is the ONE that sells ticket, whether we like it or not, people will pay to see KOBE, and him alone. He may not deserve as much money by the time he is old, but he WILL sell tickets.

it was a hypothetical question... lol
and really was not the gist of the post...
that being said i agree with everything you say, it's some of the same things i have said many times myself
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: