Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Milwaukee Bucks Forum

Milwaukee Bucks Forum Milwaukee Bucks forum - Milwaukee Bucks message board

Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #16
wal0645
Can barely lace up my sneakers

wal0645 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Coach Skilles Gives Jennings The Starting Nod

Jasper; I feel your frustrations with this team as I have followed them for many years (actually from the beginning and when they were consistently good in the 80's). Now I may be wrong, but this is what I see. Milwaukee is a small market team and Kohl will not have a payroll where the luxury tax is activated. There are a few teams like the Knicks, Lakers, Cavs, maybe Boston that don't care about this tax because they will still make dough. Even the Spurs taking Jefferson's contract along with Duncan, Parker, Ginobli, Mason, etc; they got to be over the limit. I believe RJ was let go because chances are we couldn't have resigned him in 2010. CV/Sessions would have sent us over the limit, which is why I believe we took Jennings. Redd is making superstar money, but he is no superstar as evidenced that the team hasn't done much since he signed that deal. Guys like Gadz and Bell are useless, yet make decent money. We paid Damon Jones 4M to sit on the bench. Then there's Bogut and although we dished out a bunch to keep him, I think that was a good move provided he can stay healthy. But that's only part of the story. The jury is still out on this year's draft, but basically we don't know **** about evaluating talent as evidenced by Alexander, TJ Ford, Haslip, and other sorry ass 1st rounders that haven't produced.
wal0645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #17
wal0645

There were a few more things I wanted to add; the Spurs added McDryess and Jefferson to their already huge payroll so you know they are over the cap and don't care because they want to win a championship now and will pay what it takes to get there. I just think the Bucks are a poorly run organization from the top-down, and have been since Kohl took ownership. To me the poor drafting is the biggest issue and when you think about it in the past 20 years I can only name four players where we hit the jackpot; Big-Dog, Ray, Redd, and I'll add Bogut since he is decent, buy fragile. As you know Dog and Bogut were #1 overall picks, so it's Ray and Redd where we did really well. So there you go, really only two guys in the past 20 years discounting the overall #1 who should be a good player most would agree. How can you build a quality team with that kind of drafting record?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #18
Ian
Ahh, buck it.

Ian has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal0645
How can you build a quality team with that kind of drafting record?

1. Hope to god that Mbah a Moute, Jennings, and Meeks are the real deal.

2. Hope that Bogut stays healthy.

3. Hope Redd stays healthy and plays well OR hope we can trade him (and others) for a star.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #19
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal0645
There were a few more things I wanted to add; the Spurs added McDryess and Jefferson to their already huge payroll so you know they are over the cap and don't care because they want to win a championship now and will pay what it takes to get there. I just think the Bucks are a poorly run organization from the top-down, and have been since Kohl took ownership. To me the poor drafting is the biggest issue and when you think about it in the past 20 years I can only name four players where we hit the jackpot; Big-Dog, Ray, Redd, and I'll add Bogut since he is decent, buy fragile. As you know Dog and Bogut were #1 overall picks, so it's Ray and Redd where we did really well. So there you go, really only two guys in the past 20 years discounting the overall #1 who should be a good player most would agree. How can you build a quality team with that kind of drafting record?
I agree with you 100% .
One fact tho that as you point stated , and the above post iritirated about , that Sessions and Charlie V. would put us over the cap I believe is wrong , because Jeffersons trade would of cleared the way for these two players to come on board.
What put us in the pickle from the get - was Gadz & Bell ... they are collecting VERY GOOD money for practice squad type players.

As you appear to be - I am sick and tired of the Bucks constantly retooling , when as a small market team needs to do as in the Nellie - era ...
retain players and establish a plan that makes a team competitive.
Right now all I see is short term deals , low paying , allowing a sale of the team.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #20
wal0645

I would not have resigned CV anyway because he is not a legit PF like a Boozer/Milsap kind of player. I just don't like his game when it comes to being an inside presence and helping Bogut. Sessions is different and I do like his game, although he is shaky on the defense and can't shoot outside, thus spending 25M is a little risky. If we hadn't drafted Jennings I would probably like to see Sessions resigned. Things are different now and although we really don't know how good Jennings will be; I have a feeling he will become a very good PG and become a more total package than Sessions will be. I also like Meeks who could be the answer at SG down the rode.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: