Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Default Other teams activity

Pistons: Two big signings. Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva. Link below.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

Default Re: Other teams activity

It seems like Gordon and Villanueva will receive no better offers than those from the Pistons.

Now Richard Hamilton is available and we might have a chance to trade Bell plus one of our bench farters i.e. Mohammed or Diop for Hamilton. Detroit wants another big man so one of Diop or Mohammed should work.

The only con to Hamilton is that he may depreciate, aging faster than we expect.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbasesalt
.....The only con to Hamilton is that he may depreciate, aging faster than we expect.

AI is no spring chicken, either, but if AI and Hamilton can give us two years and get us deep into the playoffs then by the time they're ready to retire the Cats may be able to attract other big-name vets. Your thoughts?
Old 07-02-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
AI is no spring chicken, either, but if AI and Hamilton can give us two years and get us deep into the playoffs then by the time they're ready to retire the Cats may be able to attract other big-name vets. Your thoughts?

I think we shouldn't re-sign Felton and sign AI and play him as a starting PG. Combine Hamilton & AI plus the other 3 starters formulates a sure playoff team, with experience & leadership, more importantly, clutch force. The drawback is Hamilton's contract, but since we have enough garbage already, so let's worry about present. Let the front office take care of future when it comes.

I seriouly think this is the best chance of improving this team this offseason. It's too unlikely to have a better veteran than Hamilton who are tradable.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
MikeUK
Decent playground baller

Kinda what I was thinking keeping Raja over Felton because we have Augustin. I do wonder now we have Henderson and I keep forgetting that fact, that we may keep Felton and trade Bell instead but I don't like it. If I was making the choices I'd prefer A.I. at the PG spot so we had a big, athletic, cover defender alongside him or D.J. rather than 3 small combo type guys for the two positions 40 minutes a game this year (Henderson playing those few remaining). I think we'd be killed by the big guards in the league (especially east / south east) if A.I. Felts or D.J. are guarding the likes of Joe Johnson or Vince Carter 40 minutes per.

If the Felton deal is reasonable then I say fine, but it means we deffinatly don't take Iverson and keep everyone else as we don't need 5 good guards, so like you say I think it's a choice between the two so we don't loose our top defender.

Sure people will hate loosing Felton 'for nothing in return' but if you think of it as a trade of Felton for Iverson (who we get for nothing), people would say slight upgrade, if short term, but will bring big attention to the team which might mean in a year or so we stop being so tight a$$ed, plus I think if he's coming to a non contender, he'll take on a leadership role and fill our massive problem in scoring (last in league) which would be another attraction for him to come here as we'll let him play his kind of ball.
MikeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Since we made the qualifying offer there is no "let him walk" now unless another team offers him a contract we don't want to match. There are only a few outcomes possible:

1) He signs a contract with us
2) He finds another deal which he prefers
a: We match
b: We don't; THEN he walks
c: We do a sign and trade
3) He plays out the year on his QO and become a UFA.

I don't want to lose Raja. He was the main reason we became one of the top defensive teams in the NBA last season. Sure he got hurt some, but when he played we were one of the top 5 teams in defense.

Larry Brown favors that over scoring all day long.

Supposedly the Pistons offered CV a 7 million/5 year deal and Ben Gordon an 11 million/5 year deal.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

I would rather have Hamilton over AI. But here's the snag. I tried the ESPN trade machine and even though Diop/Mohammed for Hamilton would work, we still have Bell and an even bigger need for a post presence. Sure, we could sign May and Howard for the vet mins, but is that really helping?
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I would rather have Hamilton over AI. But here's the snag. I tried the ESPN trade machine and even though Diop/Mohammed for Hamilton would work, we still have Bell and an even bigger need for a post presence. Sure, we could sign May and Howard for the vet mins, but is that really helping?

Diop or Mohammed + Bell for Hamilton should be a fair deal. It'll be difficult to pursuade Detroit to take Mohammed back but it's worth a try.
They'd love to have Bell supplementing Gordon's lackluster defense.

I believe what the Bobcats truly lacking is the determination to win. As you mentioned or someone mentioned in the past, Okafor doesn't seem to play the games with passion. If the Bobcats become a playoff-guaranteed team, it will solve a lot of the problems, or say, diminishes many problems.
Actually Mohammed isn't that bad but with minimal playing time and not treated well, he has little motivation to play hard.

People perform better when they are comfortable.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
TBone
I airball my layups

The Bobcats should make the playoffs this year with their current lineup. It will help greatly that your starting 5 will have another year in Larry's system. Personally, I think the Cats will either be the 7th or 8th seed.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
catsandheels
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone
The Bobcats should make the playoffs this year with their current lineup. It will help greatly that your starting 5 will have another year in Larry's system. Personally, I think the Cats will either be the 7th or 8th seed.

they might have a good lineup but most of the teams in our conference are stacked now so we have to atleast land a decent fa or make a trade and hope for a little luck but even if we dont we still may make the playoffs
catsandheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

I think that all we have to do is squeak into the playoffs--even if it's only 8th seed--and folks will take us seriously. I also think that LB is waiting to see how our team gels during training camp before he'll make a move to do a trade or sign an FA.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #12
TBone
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsandheels
they might have a good lineup but most of the teams in our conference are stacked now so we have to atleast land a decent fa or make a trade and hope for a little luck but even if we dont we still may make the playoffs

True, but you also have to realize Detroit, Washington, and Philadelphia all have new coaches and new systems to learn. If you think about, barring any major injuries, the playoffs could look like this:

In no particular order: Orlando, Cleveland, Boston, Atlanta, Miami and the last 3 spots up for grabs. Charlotte has just as good a chance as anyone.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #13
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone
True, but you also have to realize Detroit, Washington, and Philadelphia all have new coaches and new systems to learn. If you think about, barring any major injuries, the playoffs could look like this:

In no particular order: Orlando, Cleveland, Boston, Atlanta, Miami and the last 3 spots up for grabs. Charlotte has just as good a chance as anyone.

I like your optimism TBone. Our starters just need to be healthy down the stretch, especially Raja as Henderson will more than likely be hitting the rookie wall by then.
rufuspaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #14
TBone
I airball my layups

Thanks! I've been a NBA fan for a long time. I like Larry Brown, even though he tends to get that "its time for me to leave" itch alot. He's an excellent teacher of the game (play the right way) because when all is said and done, basketball is still a team sport. The Cats have a good young core of talent and they were playing well towards the end of last season before the injuries.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #15
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Bulls bought out Tim Thomas' contract. Is there any playoff teams that have room to sign him or do we have a chance to get him for cheap?
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: