Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
LBJames2010
Local High School Star

LBJames2010 has an OK reputation so far
Default AP Tests

Are they worth it? I got my scores back today and i was just seeking advice from people who have been through this before.
LBJames2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: AP Tests

Yes worth it!

I pulled in a 4 on the Lit test so I dont have to take crappy english classes.

Think of it as an investment for the future. The tests are WAAAAY cheaper then actually paying for credits once you get to college.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
LBJames2010
Local High School Star

LBJames2010 has an OK reputation so far

Would it look bad if i got a 1 on one of the tests? Cause i got a 1 on U.S History but i got a 4 on Calculus AB.
LBJames2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJames2010
Would it look bad if i got a 1 on one of the tests? Cause i got a 1 on U.S History but i got a 4 on Calculus AB.

AP US History is a tough cookie... I only managed a 3 on that puppy myself, but since its considerd to be one of the hardest AP's (with the exception of AP Bio or Chem or something incredibly tricky like that) then its understandable.

If nothing else, colleges want to see that you put the effort into your school and that you took it serious enough to pay cash in an attempt to better yourself. Plus the fact that you got a 4 in Calc means that you either had a bad testing day or that one subject just isnt your strong point.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

it depends where you go to college. i had a friend go to James Madison University and got a full-semester's worth of credits based on AP tests, so he was a semester done without even stepping foot on a college campus. i went to georgetown and they don't take AP credits, though they do use them to get you out of a requirement if its the same class. i got a 5 on my BC Calc, which meant i didn't have to take Calc in college. the requirement was fufilled, but i was given no credits, so i just had to make up the credits by taking another extra class elsewhere.

before i went to Gtown, i went to boston college for 2 years. they didn't give you any credits for AP classes either. so if you took um, maybe it helps you get into college, but don't expect to get credit (depending on the college).
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I was supposed to take AP US History but moved before to school that didnt have AP classes.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
BMOGEFan
Banned

BMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputation

most colleges won't even give you credit for the AP tests.

its stupid.
BMOGEFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

O.J A 6'4Mamba posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryO.J A 6'4Mamba posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
most colleges won't even give you credit for the AP tests.

its stupid.

What he said alot of top university don't give a d@mn about AP. They will either do one of two this like BU won't give you any at all. Others will be like we will give you a credit towards graduations so you can get 4 free credits, but you still have to take the damn class. Not worth it if you going to a top university. If your going to your average mediocre state school it is so worth it take as many as possible
O.J A 6'4Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

How are you going to get into a top university without taking AP tests?
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Ri3tN
I brick open layups

Ri3tN has an OK reputation so far

To get into top universities, you should take AP. They may not necessarily count them for credits, but it helps to get accepted into the university in the first place. Top universities look for those who try hard. Taking advanced placement classes certainly goes into that category.
Ri3tN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:50 AM   #11
RocketGreatness
Banned

RocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallguy20
AP US History is a tough cookie... I only managed a 3 on that puppy myself, but since its considerd to be one of the hardest AP's (with the exception of AP Bio or Chem or something incredibly tricky like that) then its understandable.

If nothing else, colleges want to see that you put the effort into your school and that you took it serious enough to pay cash in an attempt to better yourself. Plus the fact that you got a 4 in Calc means that you either had a bad testing day or that one subject just isnt your strong point.
Yes, my relative and a close friend said that AP U.S History as we like to call it APUSH is a very tough class. Both of them recommended me to drop the class becasue it's a waste due to how hard the course is in general and how tough the test is. Well, another relative of mine did tell me to take it just for knowledge and work hard on it. I am going to be taking AP Language next year and from what I heard it's not as hard though It's not a piece of cake either. From what I heard the very main purpose of AP Classes is to not take the course in College.

I do believe AP Tests are worth it, especially if you want some in College.
RocketGreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #12
Positive
High School Varsity 12th Man

Positive has decent reputationPositive has decent reputation

I'd definitely recommend taking them. I got a 4 on my AP US History exam, and that got me 6 credits at a pretty well respected school (Penn State). I took a couple other APs but didn't take the test, mostly because it was my senior year and I could have cared less. Definitely take them though, because you never know where you'll end up and chances are they could count for ya.
Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:05 AM   #13
YAWN
NBA All-star

YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i got a couple 4s, but then ended up retaking the classes again in college. so basically i overworked myself, took harder classes, and lowered my high school gpa for essentially nothing. i guess i learned more?
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:07 AM   #14
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

No that isnt bad considering that math is more important that history. If you're doing something math-related, you're probably better off taking it again in uni. I got a 4 on my AP US History exam and got two classes out of the way.

Although if your writing sucks you should definitely work on that. That's important as well.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:15 AM   #15
SmackOrH.A.K
Good High School Starter

SmackOrH.A.K has decent reputationSmackOrH.A.K has decent reputation

University of Texas at Austin accepts AP so I hope to stack up on the credits before college. Also taking free dual credit community college classes.
SmackOrH.A.K is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: