Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Michael Jackson Girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
I listened to ten seconds of the song and then decided to listen to Prince instead.

(Strange Relationship ftw)
Girlfriend is one of the weaker tunes from Off The Wall (not many though.) And out of all the MJ jammers, you pick this one to make a thread about??
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
32jazz
Local High School Star

32jazz has decent reputation32jazz has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Girlfriend is one of the weaker tunes from Off The Wall (not many though.) And out of all the MJ jammers, you pick this one to make a thread about??

Agreed.After the major hits on the record the other tunes are just 'filler' materials' to complete the album it seems in hindsight.

Can't Stop...
Working Day & Night....
Rock With U
Off The Wall
She's Out of My Life

After that the only one that appealed to me was basically a JAZZ tune co-written by who else(Stevie Wonder) :'I Can't Help It'

Michael bought his "Wanna Be Startin Something' Demo to the sessions (Off The Wall) ,but it was inexplicably 'cut' from the LP by Quincy Jones

Quincy Jones also wanted to cut Billie Jean(thought it was weak ) from "Thriller"(LP) ,but Jackson luckily insisted this time on both tunes.

Waiting on feed back from the original MJJ 'PYT' Demo I posted earlier.
32jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32jazz
Agreed.After the major hits on the record the other tunes are just 'filler' materials' to complete the album it seems in hindsight.

Can't Stop...
Working Day & Night....
Rock With U
Off The Wall
She's Out of My Life

After that the only one that appealed to me was basically a JAZZ tune co-written by who else(Stevie Wonder) :'I Can't Help It'

Michael bought his "Wanna Be Startin Something' Demo to the sessions (Off The Wall) ,but it was inexplicably 'cut' from the LP by Quincy Jones

Quincy Jones also wanted to cut Billie Jean(thought it was weak ) from "Thriller"(LP) ,but Jackson luckily insisted this time on both tunes.

Waiting on feed back from the original MJJ 'PYT' Demo I posted earlier.
The only weak cuts from OTW are Girlfrinds and It's the Falling In Love. The other non-singles like Working Day and Night (though they played it like a single) Get on the Floor, I Can't Help It (great) and Burn This Disco Out get play.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #19
Knicks101
We hoopin?

Knicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Working Day and Night is my ****.
Knicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #20
32jazz
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
The only weak cuts from OTW are Girlfrinds and It's the Falling In Love. The other non-singles like Working Day and Night (though they played it like a single) Get on the Floor, I Can't Help It (great) and Burn This Disco Out get play.

'Get On The Floor' is okay ,but "Burn this Disco Out"(personally don't like)/Falling in Love/Girlfriend are the weak links & sound kind of dated. Most of the others are timeless.Can't understand why any of these three tunes beat out MJJ's "Wanna Be Startin Something'

Working Day & Night was my personal favorite(along with Rock With You) as a child.

I assume you are saying 'Working..' was never released here as a 'single'? Too bad.

Still waiting on 'original' PYT Feedback.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #21
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
MJJ at 70 is a horrible thought. He probably would have been a total recluse by them however. I'm just glad he saw the O2 sell out(55 shows) in a couple hours & knew he was still beloved before he died.

Don't like the record Girlfriend ,but I wonder did Terminator/L Kizzle(or whomever) ever know that Michael actually had his own original Demo of PYT(with Greg Phillanges) that was totally reworked by singer James Ingram & Quincy Jones?
The PYT on Thriller was the only song given Co credit(Ingram) to Jones on any MJJ works ,but it was a total rework of a MJJ song.

Just discovered the Michael Jackson(Phillanges)version of PYT :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOf1N3edi54

Almost Jazzy. Have you guys ever heard this original version of PYT? Thoughts? Just search PYT DEMO youtube.
Wow they really re-worked PYT, I like it more uptempo as a pop type track rather than a laid back R&B type track.

The keyboard in PYT during the chorus is what made the song to me, it was the synthetic funk sound along with the "P Y T" chorus that makes it such a great song to dance to. No matter your age.

And I always liked the "Girlfriend' track, it was somewhat a bubble gum track but his voice is what makes the song. It makes you smile.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #22
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
'Get On The Floor' is okay ,but "Burn this Disco Out"(personally don't like)/Falling in Love/Girlfriend are the weak links & sound kind of dated. Most of the others are timeless.Can't understand why any of these three tunes beat out MJJ's "Wanna Be Startin Something'

Working Day & Night was my personal favorite(along with Rock With You) as a child.

I assume you are saying 'Working..' was never released here as a 'single'? Too bad.

Still waiting on 'original' PYT Feedback.
Rock With You is one of my favorite songs also, the video intrigued me as a child. I remember mimicking his dance moves in front of the TV.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #23
koBEDABEST
Banned

koBEDABEST is a pretty well-respected posterkoBEDABEST is a pretty well-respected posterkoBEDABEST is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
cool. only reason why i asked was cuz people are makin such a big deal about it now but you know most people havent given much thought about him as an artist in years(including me). i know his concerts were pretty much sell outs but i think most ppl stopped appreciating him until hes gone.

yo i dun see ur point. its normal for an artists music to regrow in relevance after he dies so wut r u tryna say.
koBEDABEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #24
32jazz
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Rock With You is one of my favorite songs also, the video intrigued me as a child. I remember mimicking his dance moves in front of the TV.

The Rock With You Video intrigued you ? I hope it wasn't the tight sequins Just kidding.

Nothing wrong with that every one who saw him did it at that time man. It was Michael & then everyone else. I remember Prince & Rick James being far seconds.

Dr. Dre even wore tight sequins like that when he was a R&B producer(Pre Hip Hop) & even today Gangsta Rappers bowdown to Mike

There are still a 'few' people who don't realize (they should a bit more now) how big/important/beloved Michael was/is .
Old 07-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #25
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
The Rock With You Video intrigued you ? I hope it wasn't the tight sequins Just kidding.

Nothing wrong with that every one who saw him did it at that time man. It was Michael & then everyone else. I remember Prince & Rick James being far seconds.

Dr. Dre even wore tight sequins like that when he was a R&B producer(Pre Hip Hop) & even today Gangsta Rappers bowdown to Mike

There are still a 'few' people who don't realize (they should a bit more now) how big/important/beloved Michael was/is .
People also dont even realize hes responsible for now one of the more popular songs that has been brought back to peoples memories:

Rockwell's Somebody's Watching Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD21JDMp86c

Nobody remembers any of Rockwell's lyrics, only the chorus thanks to MJ.

I also believe Michael's presence in the 80's caused every artist to step their game up, specifically George Michael who tried to challenge MJ with his album "Faith" back in 87' or 88' but I know it was around the time MJ dropped "Bad".
Old 07-15-2009, 02:53 AM   #26
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Honestly not one of the strongest songs from that album, in my opinion. I still think Off The Wall was his best stuff. Maybe it's partly due to the fact that I'm not a big fan of 80s synths and all, but I like how he was able to just make a melting pot of Soul, Funk, & Pop in that album. And that original P.Y.T. is the shiznit.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: