Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster
Arrow New Zealand - anyone an expert on this country? I'm moving there...

Maybe...

I'm tired of the rat race. I'm 24 years old living in Toronto sick of doing the 9-5. I'm making more money than I need but I'm still unhappy. Friends, family, girls... all that I'm fine with... but this daily grind for what seems to be THE REST OF MY LIFE has me going through a pre-mid-life crisis.

So I'm thinking... **** this, I'm outta here. I've been all over Europe and Africa and of course North America and I'm interested in going to somewhere like New Zealand where the girls are hot and the country is beautiful. I'd like to live by a beach, live comfortably and know that what I do for work I actually enjoy and I'm not doing it because it pays better than other jobs... like I'm doing here in Toronto.

I'd like to do something in tourism... open up a hostel or something, run it and just love life... there would be tough times for sure... but working for myself and being involved with travellers and backpackers is something I enjoy doing no matter where I'm at.

What I know:

Beautiful country
roughly 4 million people living there
great climate
tough to get permanent residence if i'm not an expert at some skilled trade

who can tell me more about this country? maybe give me some pro's and con's of the place and your experiences in the country... what you thought about the people and culture as well as quality of life over there.

If anyone can give me some juicy tidbits of information I'd greatly appreciate it.

DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: New Zealand - anyone an expert on this country? I'm moving there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
Maybe...

I'm tired of the rat race. I'm 24 years old living in Toronto sick of doing the 9-5. I'm making more money than I need but I'm still unhappy. Friends, family, girls... all that I'm fine with... but this daily grind for what seems to be THE REST OF MY LIFE has me going through a pre-mid-life crisis.

So I'm thinking... **** this, I'm outta here. I've been all over Europe and Africa and of course North America and I'm interested in going to somewhere like New Zealand where the girls are hot and the country is beautiful. I'd like to live by a beach, live comfortably and know that what I do for work I actually enjoy and I'm not doing it because it pays better than other jobs... like I'm doing here in Toronto.

I'd like to do something in tourism... open up a hostel or something, run it and just love life... there would be tough times for sure... but working for myself and being involved with travellers and backpackers is something I enjoy doing no matter where I'm at.

What I know:

Beautiful country
roughly 4 million people living there
great climate
tough to get permanent residence if i'm not an expert at some skilled trade

who can tell me more about this country? maybe give me some pro's and con's of the place and your experiences in the country... what you thought about the people and culture as well as quality of life over there.

If anyone can give me some juicy tidbits of information I'd greatly appreciate it.

I hope you have a more fleshed out plan than that if you plan on moving their. Scope out the job market there unless you're planning on become a hand for a sheep farm or something. Sounds like you need a vacation or just a simple change of jobs more than packing up and moving far away from familiar surroundings. Outside of just googling I can speak to my gf on the subject. She's Aussie with some friends who are New Zealanders.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

takeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation here

Better off moving next door. Much more of
everything in Australia.
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sick of Toronto? Man, I have been dying to go back. You really dont know what you have.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

takeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation here

Climate will be vastly different to Toronto. It doesn't snow there except if you go to the mountains.
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

if you are gonna do it, do it while you are still young with few responsibilities
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
I hope you have a more fleshed out plan than that if you plan on moving their. Scope out the job market there unless you're planning on become a hand for a sheep farm or something. Sounds like you need a vacation or just a simple change of jobs more than packing up and moving far away from familiar surroundings. Outside of just googling I can speak to my gf on the subject. She's Aussie with some friends who are New Zealanders.

first of all, that's cool you're posting from CV in Iraq. just want you to know that i don't know what your job over there is, but you're the ****ing man for going over there and doing what you're doing, please come home safe.

secondly, yea you kinda busted me. i haven't given this a TON of thought other than i planned on going to NZ this fall before i got my current job in January. i look around my office at my co-workers who are between the ages of 32 and 55 who have been grinding for years and seem to have just accepted it and i think to myself "i'm too young to be miserable. i can go try to do something i think i'd really have a good time doing, and if everything fails i could just come back to this." a change of scenery is a must... toronto is an awesome city but i can't see myself here the rest of my life.
i've been looking for jobs and so far the biggest obstacle seems to be getting the NZ government to allow me to immigrate there and stay legally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
Sick of Toronto? Man, I have been dying to go back. You really dont know what you have.

yea but.. you're in atlanta. buffalo seems great when you live in atlanta.

seriously though i've just done it all in toronto... it's been done. what's left isn't appealing other than my fam and friends who will always be there to visit. world class city though.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

No ozone out there. Good luck!
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeittothehoop
Better off moving next door. Much more of
everything in Australia.

Australia has all of the deadliest animals
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
first of all, that's cool you're posting from CV in Iraq. just want you to know that i don't know what your job over there is, but you're the ****ing man for going over there and doing what you're doing, please come home safe.

secondly, yea you kinda busted me. i haven't given this a TON of thought other than i planned on going to NZ this fall before i got my current job in January. i look around my office at my co-workers who are between the ages of 32 and 55 who have been grinding for years and seem to have just accepted it and i think to myself "i'm too young to be miserable. i can go try to do something i think i'd really have a good time doing, and if everything fails i could just come back to this." a change of scenery is a must... toronto is an awesome city but i can't see myself here the rest of my life.
i've been looking for jobs and so far the biggest obstacle seems to be getting the NZ government to allow me to immigrate there and stay legally.

yea but.. you're in atlanta. buffalo seems great when you live in atlanta.

seriously though i've just done it all in toronto... it's been done. what's left isn't appealing other than my fam and friends who will always be there to visit. world class city though.

Why New Zealand? Is there just something about it? Australia offers you a better chance at getting a job and staying if that is just a particular area of the world you want to go too. Europe is another one. I'd first look at the job market then the immigration requirements and go from there or better yet I'd first go visit and decide after seeing and staying in the area whether it is for you or not.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
Australia has all of the deadliest animals

i've never seen them.

you should plan a trip, fly into australia go around for a month then spend 2 weeks in NZ. i've never been to NZ but everyone says its awesome. personally i'd never leave australia for anywhere.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
i've never seen them.

you should plan a trip, fly into australia go around for a month then spend 2 weeks in NZ. i've never been to NZ but everyone says its awesome. personally i'd never leave australia for anywhere.

Sorry when you have the deadliest Snakes AND Spiders, 2 of the things i hate most, i'm staying far away
Old 07-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
Sorry when you have the deadliest Snakes AND Spiders, 2 of the things i hate most, i'm staying far away

I've spent about 6 months in Australia off and on visiting Perth and Fremantle and haven't ran into any problems. Unless you're going out into the very wilds like anywhere else on earth your chances of running into such problems are slim to none.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
Smokee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
I've spent about 6 months in Australia off and on visiting Perth and Fremantle and haven't ran into any problems. Unless you're going out into the very wilds like anywhere else on earth your chances of running into such problems are slim to none.

Never seen a Funnelweb spider? Snakes? What about sharks?

http://www.list-directory.info/lists...stanimals.html

Last edited by Smokee : 07-14-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #15
GreatGreg
College star

GreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

My uncle stepped on a Stonefish when my family went to Australia for vacation 5 years ago. He said imagine getting a broken bone, and multiply that pain by 15. His toe still bothers him today.
GreatGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: