Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Washington Wizards Forum

Washington Wizards Forum Washington Wizards forum - Washington Wizards message board

Old 02-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Default Why isn't Nick Young starting?

I've only seen a few games of the Wizards, but he seems to be one of the few bright spots on the team.

With him in the starting lineup, the Wizards had the only back to back wins of the season. He needs defensive work, and has to work on better shot selection, but what better way for him to work on his game than get starter minutes in a losing season anyway.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
NOVAwiz
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: Why isn't Nick Young starting?

Tapscott says the young guys have to earn their minutes. In other words he rather start those who are killing the team over the younger talented players.

Why does Stevenson start over Young? Stevenson was brought in for his defense. His defense sucks. I am tired of watching him get killed every night and plus he cant hit a shot to save his life.

Hopefully next year with a new coach Young will get his time to shine.
NOVAwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
GiveItToBurrito

He's a beast, no doubt, but he's a little too one-dimensional to really be a starter. Personally, I think he could be a sixth man of the year candidate down the line, but the Wizards will be better as a team if Crittenton starts (both alongside Arenas and now, although I'd rather have Nick Young in the starting line up this year than McGuire).

But yeah, the dude's ultra-talented, and can be straight up unstoppable sometimes. His whole game is based on using his quickness and crossover to get separation for fadeaways and turnarounds, and he's good enough at them that he's basically incapable of taking a bad shot (if you consider a bad shot any that he doesn't make with regularity). He's also capable of being a decent playmaker when he drives and hands off or dishes. The main drawback to playing him, though, is that despite being a pretty good athelete and fairly long, he's almost incapable of rebounding or playing consistent d. Also, the way the Wizards are set up this year, Jamison and Butler basically have the green light every time down the floor, so it's almost a waste to have a scorer like The Bean Burrito in there with them.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

GITB basically got it all down. Dude is a beast...can score in bunches. Potential, potential, potential. Lots of it. At best, he would be a J.R. smith type of player only a little bit worse.

I don't see him starting this year if everything works out i.e. Gil healthy, chemistry going good etc etc. But he could certainly fill a sixth man void for us. Hopefully Saunders sees the potential in Young just like we do and we'll see more of him this season.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: