Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #31
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

I'll eliminate Sell/Smith because I couldn't stand all the high fiving and hugging during the match. That's just me, though.

Karo/Diego was a very good fight. As was Nog/Barnett.

GSP/Hughes wasn't really a good fight because it was so one-sided, but it was still highly entertaining.

That leaves Cro Cop/Wandy. That's my favorite because I was hyped up on Cro Cop going into the finals of the OWGP. It was like he just took on all of Pride that night. It was awesome.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #32
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

ember, you can watch alot of fights at dailymotion.com. It's like youtube but hasent been infiltrated by the suits yet (keyword yet). Don't know anywhere to DL events if I did I wouldn't be here right now cause I have alot of catchig up to do since I've only been following MMA for about 9 months.

I loved the high fiving in the Smith/Sell fight. I thought it was great and highly entertaining.

And GSP/Hughes MIGHT be my favorite fight of the year just on account of GSP winning. If there is ever any fighter who has paid their dues and deserved the title it would be GSP. The guy got his shot and got dominated because he was so young and so enamored by the great Matt Hughes, he worked, and worked and got another rematch and learned from his mistakes and wasn't so enamored anymore and totally dominated the great Matt Hughes who doesn't get dominated. It might just be the newness of the bout taking place because I felt the same way about Wandy/Cro Cop II and Franklin/Silva the whole week after they happened.

I really think Josh Barnett should take Shockwave off. He's one of the only guys in all of MMA who has an inkling of a chance of beating Fedor and he'll get his shot after Cro Cop next year but he's fought like six times this year and I'm sure he's gonna wanna fight at the Feb USA show and he's really gonna have to pick either Dec. or Feb. to fight. He's crazy if he picks both.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #33
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Thanks for the info TMacs I'll check it out.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:38 PM   #34
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Ricardo Tubbs has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Is there a good torrent site for MMA?

I can usually find the bigger UFC events on torrent spy, but dammit I want to start watching more of the different leagues.

If you go on youtube, there are tons of Shooto matches, because they're not copyrighted here. Their rules are a bit different and it's really just lighter weights, but it is simply the purest, most grassroots MMA organization there is. Pride Bushido is basically just MegaShooto, because tons of guys there are from Shooto.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p51t6ZKwK2Q
^the most bad ass video by an MMA org ever

You can actually watch all Pride and K-1/Hero's events live and for free if you've got Sopcast.

You gotta watch it at like 3AM, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Oh, and fight of the year: Crocop–Silva. We never see Crocop at his best, and what he did in that fight was something NO other fighter on the planet is capable of. That was a special moment of greatness, like Kobe hitting 81 or someone hitting 4HRs.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:50 PM   #35
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

You think Cro Cop could have beaten Fedor that night?

I'd give it 50/50.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #36
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
You think Cro Cop could have beaten Fedor that night?

I'd give it 50/50.

Cro Cop is a legit threat to beat Fedor any night. He damn near had him when they did fight. Lucky for us Mirko (who is my favorite fighter) won the OWGP because I believe he stated that if he didn't he probably would have retired from fighting.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #37
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Cro Cop is a legit threat to beat Fedor any night. He damn near had him when they did fight. Lucky for us Mirko (who is my favorite fighter) won the OWGP because I believe he stated that if he didn't he probably would have retired from fighting.

Yeah, I remember hearing he was gonna retire if he didn't win the OWGP. And I don't think he was close to winning the first fight. Fedor was pretty much having his way with him and it was STANDING which was amazing. Fedor gameplan was to crowd Cro Cop and always stay close and give him no room to throw the LHK. It's pretty crazy how good that stragey worked.

But the night Mirko won the OWGP I don't think anyone could beat him. Not even Fedor.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #38
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

I think the losses to Hunt and Fedor got Crocop's ass in motion and are what changed his style. Rather than just being the usual counterpunching, LHK-throwing backseat fighter he usually is, he became the aggressive, forward-moving fighter we all wished he was.

He finally realized what he has to do to be at his best, just a shame it took like half a decade to realize it.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #39
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
So what are your guys nominations for fight of the year? I say we nominate five and then pick the best out of those 5.

My top 5 are in no order .

Cro Cop/Wandy II
Karo/Diego
Big Nog/Barnett
Scott Smith/Pete Sell
GSP/Hughes.

I agree with Fatboy on Sell/Smith, too much high-fiving, not even enough crisp striking.

I'd replace that with Kang-Misaki. Great fight, both guys got in trouble standing, and both had serious submission attempts; one of which almost ended the fight. Add in Kang losing his fiance a couple months before, being pretty heavily injured, but still fighting, and you have something special.

Other then that the list looks good.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #40
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

You know, if we're just talking about crazy ass fights, then Sakuraba–Smirnovas has to be in there. You had a fighter pretty much get his ass knocked out, then some shady reffing that never stopped it, and then the guy comes back and subs the other.

It was horrible, but so entertaining.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #41
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Tubbs
You know, if we're just talking about crazy ass fights, then Sakuraba–Smirnovas has to be in there. You had a fighter pretty much get his ass knocked out, then some shady reffing that never stopped it, and then the guy comes back and subs the other.

It was horrible, but so entertaining.

I wish that fight had never happened. It was a cool fight but it's one that gives MMA a bad name. It should have been called. Sakuraba was pretty much out when he went out of the ropes then the ref brings them back in and Smirnovas just keeps pounding away. It was cool that Sakuraba won but thats what refs are for, to call those fights when the fighter goes out.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:53 PM   #42
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

OK I just watched this one, and when the ref pulls them back into the ring and lets Smirnovas just continue beating on him I couldn't help but laugh, how ridiculous, fight should've definetely been stoped, but Sakuraba is probably happy with the way it turned out I guess.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #43
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

If it was any other fighter but Sakuraba I would be okay with it but Sakuraba is pretty close to losing his head. He's been beaten up so bad over the years that he's very close to not leaving the ring alive. I'm dead serious (no pun intended) if there ever was a true MMA death in the right I think Sakuraba would be the guy.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #44
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

I don't know if any of you heard, but Fedor is going to have a fight for the Bodog org and it is rumored that Bodog is in talks to potentially sign Fedor long term. I know if you're Pride you try not to let that happen but Bodog I believe has a lot more money available so it will be interesting to see how that will pan out.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #45
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
I don't know if any of you heard, but Fedor is going to have a fight for the Bodog org and it is rumored that Bodog is in talks to potentially sign Fedor long term. I know if you're Pride you try not to let that happen but Bodog I believe has a lot more money available so it will be interesting to see how that will pan out.

Yeah I heard that also. And that Pride still doesn't have a TV deal in Japan. There's rumors of Cro Cop jumping ship to the UFC(sylvia = murdered). Bad scheisse, Pride's heavyweight division is one of the best things about MMA.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: