Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-16-2006, 01:14 AM   #1
IamtheWalrus
Banned

IamtheWalrus has no real reputation yet.
Default OT: How come black people enforce their own stereotypes?

i mean rappers enforce criminal acts, and basketball players are prone to violence.

I thought since 1966, black people were trying to improve themselves and sway away from that stereotype that kept them down for so long
IamtheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

great question, I wonder the same myself. Turn on BET and it's basically modern vaudville only with black actors. Really lots of things black people in general tend to do confuse me, but end of the day I can only worry about myself.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

White people do the same god damn thing, too. We should all just accept each race for what it is and try to get along with each other.

I don't feel bad about stereotyping people because I'm sure they stereotype me as well. Some people just don't admit to stereotyping. It's really human nature, though.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:30 AM   #4
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Wow that's so weird...me and my girlfriend were just having the same conversation. Honestly i don't know the answer either. I really think it's because we don't have enough leadership in the black community anymore. Back in the day there was MLK Jr., Malcom X...if you asked someone who the leader of the black community was they could tell you. But think about it now, who is there? Who is the voice of the community? If you go around and ask young black people who they respect most, you'll get the usual god/jesus bulls*** (right before they rap about killin someone)...but they won't be able to name anyone besides a rapper or athlete. People will imitate who they respect the most, and right now the most successful black people are the ones not worth imitating, but people don't see that.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
EricForman
Good college starter

EricForman has decent reputationEricForman has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
White people do the same god damn thing, too. We should all just accept each race for what it is and try to get along with each other.

I don't feel bad about stereotyping people because I'm sure they stereotype me as well. Some people just don't admit to stereotyping. It's really human nature, though.

Yeah, the thing is stereotypes are there for a reason, they're probably true.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:41 AM   #6
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

With white people, it's less important because obviously they're not in the same position or trying to "rise up" and "overcome" as other races are.

One thing that I think goes far to illustrate the fall of the African American wordly consciousness or interest in things that actually matter, is the fact that B.E.T has taken away the news in favor of great shows like Classic ComicView, Beef!, and more ex-UPN shows. Guys like Tavis Smiley, Tom Joyner, Michael Eric Dyson; intelligent, influential, well-spoken brothas have all had their shows cancelled or pushed back and moved so we can all make sure to stay atop more important issues like the latest 50 Cent beef.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:43 AM   #7
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Knoe Itawl has not been impressing people

A lot of ignorance in this thread. I'm black and I don't perpetuate any stereotypes, nor do any of my black friends or my family. Way to make generalizations based on what some people do. Like, I guess I'll assume that all white people are imperialists hell bent on taking over the world, destroying cultures, etc.

You should be asking another question, which is why do white people enjoy the image of the stereotypical black man so much they are willing to pay millions of dollars a year for these stereotypes? After all, white people buy most rap and they just looooooooove themselves some stereotypical black male. 50cent is a superstar. And not just with blacks. With whites MOSTLY.

I mean, I don't agree with it, but I can understand the black male from the projects looking for a way out using stereotypes as a way to get rich, but rich white kids from the burbs who jerk off listening to tales of black males killing each other makes me wonder who the sickest people are in all of it.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:47 AM   #8
IamtheWalrus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
A lot of ignorance in this thread. I'm black and I don't perpetuate any stereotypes, nor do any of my black friends or my family. Way to make generalizations based on what some people do. Like, I guess I'll assume that all white people are imperialists hell bent on taking over the world, destroying cultures, etc.

You should be asking another question, which is why do white people enjoy the image of the stereotypical black man so much they are willing to pay millions of dollars a year for these stereotypes? After all, white people buy most rap and they just looooooooove themselves some stereotypical black male. 50cent is a superstar. And not just with blacks. With whites MOSTLY.

I mean, I don't agree with it, but I can understand the black male from the projects looking for a way out using stereotypes as a way to get rich, but rich white kids from the burbs who jerk off listening to tales of black males killing each other makes me wonder who the sickest people are in all of it.

you don't perpetuate any stereotypes huh....so you automatically attack white people after hearing someone inquire about black's habits?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:49 AM   #9
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far
Default ...

The mainstream black culture is made is centererd around ignorance and the stuff BET promotes. Its like Chris Rock said there is an internal war in the black community. Instead of trying to spin everything back to white people why not take some responsibility and look at the problems in the black community. The fact is whites on average are doing better than blacks, latinos on average are doing better than blacks, asians on average are doing better than blacks.

So in essense stop trying to spin the discussion back to exceptions and stick to percentages of the whole.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:49 AM   #10
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheWalrus
you don't perpetuate any stereotypes huh....so you automatically attack white people after hearing someone inquire about black's habits?

Go f*ck yourself. I responded to your ignorance by showing you that anyone can ignorantly stereotype people.

By titling your thread "How come black people enforce their own stereoptypes" you are implying that ALL black people do. You made no distinction. You didn't even say how come SOME black people do.

That's plain ignorance and shows your blatant racism in that you don't even distinguish between the fact that there are millions of black people who don't conduct their lives in the ways that stereotypes dictate.

And way to answer the questions I asked. Moron.

Dumb ****.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:51 AM   #11
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Check up on your current criminal statistics buddy. Then you will realize how much bull**** you just spewed. You can ignore all the things your culture does, but some people choose not to. Cultures influence one another inside that culture and that must be something you have failed to comprehend. You don't have to post some bull**** to explain this. Just say that you don't give a **** about your culture and we'll all pat you on the head and tell you it's not okay.
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:53 AM   #12
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatZNasty
With white people, it's less important because obviously they're not in the same position or trying to "rise up" and "overcome" as other races are.

One thing that I think goes far to illustrate the fall of the African American wordly consciousness or interest in things that actually matter, is the fact that B.E.T has taken away the news in favor of great shows like Classic ComicView, Beef!, and more ex-UPN shows. Guys like Tavis Smiley, Tom Joyner, Michael Eric Dyson; intelligent, influential, well-spoken brothas have all had their shows cancelled or pushed back and moved so we can all make sure to stay atop more important issues like the latest 50 Cent beef.

I wouldnt call Michael Eric Dyson intelligent but that's just me. I rarely agree with ANYTHING he says, he seems to take the victim role in every argument about blacks. I tried to read his book on Cosby but it looked like a laundry list of exceptions and exuses.

Im more of a fan of Cornel West but BET wont put him on much because he might start some ish.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:56 AM   #13
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04mzwach
Check up on your current criminal statistics buddy. Then you will realize how much bull**** you just spewed. You can ignore all the things your culture does, but some people choose not to. Cultures influence one another inside that culture and that must be something you have failed to comprehend. You don't have to post some bull**** to explain this. Just say that you don't give a **** about your culture and we'll all pat you on the head and tell you it's not okay.

What the **** is my culture, idiot? I didn't grow up in any project, I never hung out with criminals my family has no criminals in it so what are you talking about "my culture"? That's like saying your culture as a white person is the Aryan Brotherhood and the KKK since some white people are in those organizations. Do you realize how stupid you sound?

And you still never answered why some white people love hearing about black criminals so much they pay millions of dollars a year for 50cent to tell them all about it.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:57 AM   #14
IamtheWalrus
Banned

Quote:
Go f*ck yourself. I responded to your ignorance by showing you that anyone can ignorantly stereotype people.

By titling your thread "How come black people enforce their own stereoptypes" you are implying that ALL black people do. You made no distinction. You didn't even say how come SOME black people do.

That's plain ignorance and shows your blatant racism in that you don't even distinguish between the fact that there are millions of black people who don't conduct their lives in the ways that stereotypes dictate.

And way to answer the questions I asked. Moron.

Dumb ****.

first, i wasn't the one preaching "i don't follow stereotypes"

second, all i see on TV shows that black people reinforce their own stereotypes. I dont see any other race do it.

whites make fun of marriage, i don't see them make TV shows, sing about ruling the world?

I don't see asians on TV talking about studying 24/7 or about small cocks...

but for blacks, thats all you see on TV and on the radio.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:59 AM   #15
IamtheWalrus
Banned

Quote:
What the **** is my culture, idiot? I didn't grow up in any project, I never hung out with criminals my family has no criminals in it so what are you talking about "my culture"? That's like saying your culture as a white person is the Aryan Brotherhood and the KKK since some white people are in those organizations. Do you realize how stupid you sound?

And you still never answered why some white people love hearing about black criminals so much they pay millions of dollars a year for 50cent to tell them all about it.

you know why white people like listening to that crap? Its because white people don't know anything about the ghetto and they these radiostations and tv shows is just an example of white people learning about the ghetto....

its like curious school girls.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: