Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-16-2006, 03:32 AM   #31
jaydacris
Rose

i agree with knoe itawl here, not only do you generalize an entire race of people, but you also assume that since some people perpetuate 'gangsta' stereotypes it applies to that race as a whole?

Quote:
you just don't understand amercian culture to have a full comprehension on how the media reinforces black stereotypes.

once again certain peoples (some rappers) dont represent "all black people". you're pretty stupid if you think that the people acting like idiots on tv represents the identity of a race. i think your understanding is at a real low level, if you are using certain people shown in the media as evidence to represent an entire race of people.

using your logic, i guess my muslim friend is a dirty terrorist, and one of my black friends is a gang banger who does drugs everyday. its all so clear now

Last edited by jaydacris : 10-16-2006 at 03:35 AM.
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:32 AM   #32
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
more like way to the play the victim. Maybe the black community should stop blaming society and rise their unemployment stats, standardized test scores, poverty rate etc. Maybe they can stop having kids out of wedlock. or stop having unprotected sex. Any culture thats degrades education and glorifies violence in general is in trouble.

Or wait they dont have to change because everything thats wrong is the White MAn's fault.

Im sick of having to deal with sterotypes. I get into a great law school....first thing i hear from my so called friends..... i guess affirmative action is at work. Im sick of stuff like that and until the community gets its act together i feel i will be bombarded with similar criticisms for the my whole career.

Wow, you're dumber than I thought. This idiot doesn't give a f*ck about learning about the problems in black culture, all he wanted to do was create a race baiting thread. You think this moron wants an intellectual discussion on stereotypes? F*ck outta here.

And if you're in law school and you see no problem with this guy titling a thread "How come black people" (not SOME, not a FEW, etc.) but implying we're all the same, and we're all 50cent wannabes then you're on his level of intelligence.

This isn't about whether some black people enforce stereotypes, it's about an ignorant dumb ass creating a racist, baiting topic to get out his views on black people.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:35 AM   #33
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheWalrus
i'm through with you...

you just don't understand amercian culture to have a full comprehension on how the media reinforces black stereotypes.

No, I just called you out on your bullshyt and how much of ignorant, racist moron you are.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:53 AM   #34
gigantes
A piece of fluff

the problem is compounded by the fact that american culture has been obsessed with ghetto culture for some years now... as a form of being cool and as a form of entertainment. and it goes hand-in-hand with the general 'celebration of ignorance' in american culture... not just in mimicking black culture but in having this strange obsession with looking stupid, saying something stupid, or preferably doing something stupid that leads to a physical accident, preferably one that involves a confrontation, preferably with weapons.

it seems to me that america's latest fad doesn't help blacks because it raises jackasses into positions of prominence and influence and pays scant attention to blacks who are more accomplished or have the true interests of their peoples at stake. why isn't maurice ashley, the first black man to become a chess grandmaster, an icon in the black community?

i was watching a show about cosmic string theory recently and i thought one of the scientists they had on was particularly brilliant. unlike a lot of the other scientists interviewed on the show, he was a gifted communicator and had a way of explaining very complex concepts in terms that anyone could understand. and this guy was black (sorry i can't remember his name right now). why isn't a genius like this celebrated in our country instead of the army of a-holes incessantly rapping about murdering people and treating women like hoes?

because our culture celebrates ignorance.

and black kids in this city... most of them don't want to know. most of them don't seem to give a damn about their history or any other history, or members of their peoples who have made a positive difference. they don't look to authority and experience- they look to pack mentality, whatever people around their own age have to say.

not that this is unique to black kids... the same thing happens to tonnes of white kids i see. but inner city black kids are operating from the bigger disadvantage IMO.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #35
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

bravo knoe and gigantes..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #36
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP

will someone explain this to me...........why did i just see a preview for the BLACK movie awards??? i have seen a lot of black people win movie awards and emmys and oscars, why do they need another award show just for them?? you want racial equality, but yet seem to get a pass on labeling something by a race. there is no way whites would EVER get away with boldly titling something WHITE movie awards...that would be a mockery! White people are always viewed as the racists in these arguments, but i have met just as many if not more black people that show hatred toward white than vice versa. i know, i know.......we owe you something because years and years ago you were slaves.....sorry you had to go through that.....oh wait a second, you didnt! as i wasnt there as a slavemaster....nobody (minus a few extreme morons KKK) was involved in these horrible deeds, so nobody owes anybody anything!!!!!!! so just drop the victim card.
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #37
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
will someone explain this to me...........why did i just see a preview for the BLACK movie awards??? i have seen a lot of black people win movie awards and emmys and oscars, why do they need another award show just for them?? you want racial equality, but yet seem to get a pass on labeling something by a race. there is no way whites would EVER get away with boldly titling something WHITE movie awards

Blacks only started having their own pageants and things of that nature because mainstram (read white) wouldnt allow black women to be involved in their pageants..Blacks could barely watch any programming with black people on it for many years, because mainstream (read white) thought whites wouldnt watch TV with black actors or stars....blacks started creating their own stuff...

thats why...

Quote:
..that would be a mockery! White people are always viewed as the racists in these arguments, but i have met just as many if not more black people that show hatred toward white than vice versa. i know, i know.......we owe you something because years and years ago you were slaves.....sorry you had to go through that.....oh wait a second, you didnt! as i wasnt there as a slavemaster....nobody (minus a few extreme morons KKK) was involved in these horrible deeds, so nobody owes anybody anything!!!!!!! so just drop the victim card.

whites have this thing where they get really upset when other groups have something that doesnt revolve around white people...

Why is the 'black awards' a bad thing? I see the spanish music awards with J-lo and Marc anthony, I see Telemundo, I see the AZN asian television network.. Is all this stuff bad too? or is it only Bet or TV1 that are a problem for whites?

Quote:
you want racial equality, but yet seem to get a pass on labeling something by a race.

What does this mean?

Black folks cant be equal and have a black television show? Do all races have to get rid of their own personal pride in their heritage in order to be accepted by whites?

Why is there such a need in the mainstream (read white) to have everyone be 'colorblind' and pretend that everyone is the same? Every one being the same is not the same thing as everyone being equal...All people want equality, We dont all need to drop parts of our identity to appease another group.

I personally like the different cultures of the world and I like watching TV1 and telmundo, and AZN network...No need for people to hide their culture in order for me to feel comfortable

It makes me laugh to see certain people get soo upset over the fact that blacks have their own shows and their own pageants etc..

why?

because inequality is what created those shows and its kind of ironic that certain now are upset over those shows but dont realize how those shows came into being....and like I said equality is different from 'being the same'...equality doesnt hinge on one group dropping the word 'black' or 'latino' or whatever their ethnicity may be....equality is the right of all men
Old 10-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #38
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

funny thread.

Knoe and Walrus slappin c0cks
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #39
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP

ok, you make some very good points. its not that i want people to drop parts of their culture, it just seems like society is obligated to hold minorities on a pedistol for past transgressions. i dont want something to be centered around whites, but it just dont seem right. what would you say if there was a movie awards just for white people? would you be upset? that would be racist. i know that there are alot of things that COULD be consider as being all white, but if a black person or any other minority lets say came out with a country hit, they would be welcome to the awards show.....but could a white actor win a black movie award? i think not! its not like black people never win any of these other awards....some of the GREATEST actors of all-time are black.....denzel washington, cuba gooding jr, morgan freeman just to name a few. they have won plenty of the mainstream awards, there is just no need for it IMHO
Old 10-16-2006, 12:26 PM   #40
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

I don't think Black people enforce their own stereotypes, it's more a product of the media. Most white people live in white suburban areas and when they turn on MTV and BET, they see rappers talking about gangbanging and killing, and assume all blacks do the same. Then they look at the statistics of black crime and make a corelation between the two.

However, they tend to fail to look at the economic situation and make a corelation between crime and poverty. I bet if you look at white people with lower incomes, you would find lower SAT scores, higher criminal rates, and etc. But some people are blind to this notion and would rather just blame their culture, while disregarding their social problems.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #41
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
what would you say if there was a movie awards just for white people? would you be upset? that would be racist.
Ever watch the Emmy's, Tony's, Grammy's, etc? Like dude said, it's ironic the same people who are the reason Blacks, Latinos, Asians, and other races have to venture out and start their own special interest groups and programs, get so threatened and upset that they exist.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #42
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP

here are some from 2002

Comedian Bernie Mac's tough love humor brought him a coveted Emmy Award nomination for his first-year Fox TV comedy series "The Bernie Mac Show."

Mac plays a married Los Angeles man struggling to deal with his sister's kids who have suddenly moved in on his well-ordered life.

Other Black nominees included Dule Hill, best supporting actor in a drama series for "The West Wing"; Angela Bassett as best actress in a miniseries or movie for The Rosa Parks Story; Don Cheadle, best supporting actor in a miniseries or movie for Things Behind the Sun; Charles S. Dutton, best guest actor in a drama series for "The Practice"; Wayne Braclay for best performance in a variety or music program for "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" Director Paris Barclay was given a best director nod for an episode of "The West Wing."
Old 10-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #43
tontoz
NBA sixth man of the year

The problem with the thread starter is that he made no distinction between black public figures and blacks in general.

If you want to say that blacks in entertainment/sports tend to perpetuate stereotypes then you can certainly make the case for that.

But if you are saying blacks in the general public reinforce stereotypes i have a hard time buying that. Being white i have probably known more blacks than most white people here through bball or work. I just don't see it.

And I can be guilty of making judments about people based on first impressions just like anyone else. I worked with this one guy who is a brother of a former pro football player with the Falcons and the way he acted seemed to play into the stereotypes. He was loud and talked very street, and he certainly didn't mind people overhearing his randy conversations. I knew him for awhile before I actually knew what he did for a living.

Turns out he was the accounting manager and i was stunned. He seemed as far away as you can imagine from what you would visualize an accountant to be, at least at first. But as I got to know him and talked to him about business it seemed almost like he was two different people. He was a serious tightwad who, even though he made good money, insisted on driving a ratty old car because he thought cars were bad investments. He was also the "cop" of the company, someone that other execs tried to hide their dirty laundry from because he couldn't stand wasting money and wouldn't hesitate to confront them.

You have to be careful when you make generalizations about people.

Last edited by tontoz : 10-16-2006 at 01:10 PM.
tontoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #44
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

eauclaire, you are failing to take into account history....

Should all the black pageants and spanish awards shows now go away because society has softened its stance on its racist habits?

No...they make money and they are very proud of what they have created...

I dont know about black movie awards...but white rappers and activists are seen on black TV...

I just watched 'tony Brown's journal' (a show about black community issues) on PBS the other day, and there was a white guy along with a black guy given their findings on research they have done on black males...these guys are experts and the white guy was given all the respect that the black guy was afforded.....You see whites on bet, if they are relevant to whatever the subject matter is...White jazz artists, white rap artists, etc...

my point is that race would be a positive thing if it werent the basis of america's history of discrimination... race itself can be a great thing... I am personally amazed about what I learn about other races and cultures simply by watching some of their programming and socializing with different ethnic groups...

I never understood why there is such a problem with shows that feature blacks or other groups.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:00 PM   #45
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP

your post was too good and convincing to degrade with an argument. i didnt really think of it lke that. my argument is over. god bless
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: