Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #16
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Default Re: My Summer League-- Lamar Doom's Twilight Tour Into Greatness (photos, stats, video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
Game 2

David...

There's one kid on our team who I have a major problem with. Little guy with a napolean complex who nobody can stand. He has a huge chip on his shoulder and a major sense of entitlement. You can't tell him anything and he thinks he's allen iverson/hot sauce, he bangs on the floor (along with numerous other obnoxious urban affectations) on defense and gets blown by every time. He b*tches nonstop and gripes about not starting and when he gets subbed. I let him play extra long in the 2nd half so i could play the last 5 minutes, I subbed in and played for 2-3 minutes before he tried to sub in for me again. We don't really have a coach to monitor or police this process and I should have just straight up told him "no" but I went to the bench. I got there and realized it was bullsh*t and told him next dead ball I was coming in for him. The next dead ball was another member of my team fouling out so i went in for him instead and the little dip sh*t kept making this gesture like "cut" (waving his hand in front of his neck as if to say "i'm not coming out") and yelling at me, I ended up screaming "i'm not in for you, shut the f*ck up" at him in front of the whole gym (got warned by the ref). I've never lost my cool on a team mate like that before, I've gotten mad about people criticizing my or other's mistakes before but never just screaming at someone to shut the f*ck up. I pride myself on being a supportive team mate but this kid is seriously f*cked up. He has some sort of social disorder and was dealt a sh*tty hand in life so I'm going to try to talk to him before next game to make it civil/peacey weesy, but he is a complete idiot and the entire team would be much happier if he didn't come back.

Here he is (the gold shoes are an extra douchey touch and of course he wanted to be #23):

God I hate this. I got picked up to help out a team and I have a guy with this exact attitude. Actually he treats me like I'm the "David" of the team and complains that I do not pass the ball and take too many shots. I agreed with him 100% I did not pass (after the 1st half to HIM) and took a lot of shots. Team mates don't want to play D, don't want to get open, can't score when open, of course I am going to hog the ball. Team wants to win and they get mad when they lose, okay I take over. Team gets mad I take too many shots, okay you recruited me to carry you guys. I drop 43 pts and we lose by 1 pt, and I don't remember missing a shot in the 2nd half. How the hell can anyone complain that I'm hogging when I'm also the only one playing D and hustling

I FEEL YOUR PAIN
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #17
1manfastbreak
B A Y A R E A , C A

Default Re: My Summer League-- Lamar Doom's Twilight Tour Into Greatness (photos, stats, video)

Quote:

one of his brain busting highlights was stopping to pick up a team mate after a no call while the other team ran a 5 on 3 break.

1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #18
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

Good stuff. This is much more interesting then..." OMGZORZ HAKEEM OLAJUWAN IS THE GOAT!>!>!>!"

That little sh*t head looks like a broke ass version of George St. Pierre.

gotta coupla questions:

1. Do you pay to be in this league?

2. How is the competition?

Keep me posted because i'm interested.
The Big Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:14 AM   #19
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
Good stuff. This is much more interesting then..." OMGZORZ HAKEEM OLAJUWAN IS THE GOAT!>!>!>!"

That little sh*t head looks like a broke ass version of George St. Pierre.

gotta coupla questions:

1. Do you pay to be in this league?

2. How is the competition?

Keep me posted because i'm interested.

yeah, pay to play. 100 bucks a head as a "free agent" or teams are like 600. actually very cheap considering it comes with jerseys, NO ref fees, statisticians, and web content like video (live game and post game interview), stats, and photos. the guy who runs it is all about making it feel like the big time which I don't really need but it's a fun twist.

I don't really know how to grade the competition, i think i last played organized ball in 05 in NYC for the NYUrban pros and they had multiple levels of talent that got pretty special towards the top, this is the league's inaugural season and so it's all one division. There are a handful of guys who played D-1, a lot of guys who are D3 (claim to be anyway, i'm suspicious of some of the guys' resumes), a lot of former high school players and a few streetball/rec league guys. There are a few really special players but for the most part it's guy who can play and know their roles and do a job, so I would say the competition is good but not amazing. Can definitely get pretty ragged/sloppy out there. Fun as f*ck though so far.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:14 AM   #20
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

Quote:
yeah, pay to play. 100 bucks a head as a "free agent" or teams are like 600. actually very cheap considering it comes with jerseys, NO ref fees, statisticians, and web content like video (live game and post game interview), stats, and photos. the guy who runs it is all about making it feel like the big time which I don't really need but it's a fun twist.

I don't really know how to grade the competition, i think i last played organized ball in 05 in NYC for the NYUrban pros and they had multiple levels of talent that got pretty special towards the top, this is the league's inaugural season and so it's all one division. There are a handful of guys who played D-1, a lot of guys who are D3 (claim to be anyway, i'm suspicious of some of the guys' resumes), a lot of former high school players and a few streetball/rec league guys. There are a few really special players but for the most part it's guy who can play and know their roles and do a job, so I would say the competition is good but not amazing. Can definitely get pretty ragged/sloppy out there. Fun as f*ck though so far.

sounds legit.

How long is the season?

I would definitely be apart of that if they had something like that in my area but I doubt it.

and not to sound creepy or anything, but the fact that your girl is a basketball fan and buys you kicks is pretty sweet. where do you find this species? haha

Last edited by The Big Skinny : 07-21-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:25 AM   #21
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

What do your practices consist of?

does your whole team meet somewhere to practice or go over gameplans and strategys?
Brujesino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #22
qrich
King Heno

That gym looks damn familiar....
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:50 AM   #23
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Quote:
sounds legit.

How long is the season?

8-10 weeks +playoffs and i think there's an all star game

Quote:

I would definitely be apart of that if they had something like that in my area but I doubt it.

what city are you in?

Quote:

and not to sound creepy or anything, but the fact that your girl is a basketball fan and buys you kicks is pretty sweet. where do you find this species? haha

she wasn't a diehard fan until we met but she grew up here (LA) and rooted for the Lakers like normal local people do, i am nba obsessive and turned her into a watch-every-game fan. She gets into it, f*cking loves Kobe, she talks about him like the kids in the NBA forum, doesn't understand when he doesn't score 35+ points that he's human. She scored us courtside seats (two 2500$ tickets) when the bulls were in town (Check at the 35 second mark you will see kobe JUMP OVER ME. i'm in the grey shirt and she's next to me, Tyrus Thomas jumped us too earlier in the game and broke the seat next to me, the floor staff kept saying how much action our seats were getting) through her work (she works on a popular tv show, somebody offered the creator of the show the tickets and we got them) and then bought us good seats when the blazers were in town for xmas. she's a bad girl, i got very lucky. We were both working these sketches that were filmed for the Spike TV Guy's Choice awards and we hit it off, working with Mr. T, Tracy Morgan, and Lee Majors will help love blossom. LA girls get a bad rap but there are some dandies out here.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #24
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
What do your practices consist of?

does your whole team meet somewhere to practice or go over gameplans and strategys?

my team has not had a practice and i'm not sure we will. we were the team that was all put together by the league from a pool of individuals (and a couple buddy pairings). There was a little talk about trying to get together this week but we didn't decide on anything, it's tough cause people have different life/work commitments and live all over the city. I like practicing and really think it's beneficial so I hope we sort it out. We had about 30 minutes before this week's game to "practice" and talk about sh*t which was mostly about defense and how to most effectively use a zone -- we ended up running a 2-3 and it was surprisingly good because their team was hell bent on getting to the rim and our best three defenders usually covered the low/middle. The other team had an absurd amount of open mid range and perimeter jump shots they passed up, I would have been in heaven against us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
That gym looks damn familiar....

you ever play in Venice/Santa Monica? should get the inside hoops team going for next season.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #25
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

still no game footage but they have this woman there every week who's probably a journalism graduate or something who does interviews and takes photos and just kind of checks in with the teams

Video: Interviews with 2 players on the team that beat us

sort of ridiculous and unnecessary but definitely kind of a cool idea for a men's league, if she interviews me i promise to be more of a showman than these guys.

Last edited by Lamar Doom : 07-21-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #26
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Default Re: My Summer League-- Lamar Doom's Twilight Tour Into Greatness (photos, stats, vide

OK, finally got some pics, unfortunately, I couldn't get any pics from the league, but I did get a couple of pics of my jersey and also a team photo.

My jersey (you can sort of see my reflection in the pic (my arm), because the jersey is framed):

The team photo (again sorry about the reflection, this is a photo of a photo):

It almost looks like I shouldn't be in the picture, everyone else is close together and then I'm stuck on the end. You can also, sort of, see the blue sock in the bottom corner. Those are the ski socks I wore for games, awesome socks. They always turned heads. Since that pic, I have bulked up a bit, although, I wasn't in bad shape then and my hair is a bit longer now. Overall it's a bad quality pic, mainly because it's a photo of a photo.

BTW, #12 is a d'bag. Everyone on the team shouted at him atleast once during every single game due to his lack of understanding. Hell, in one game (the game I mentioned in my first post about me having the flu), we only had 7 players show up and I had the flu, he didn't even play. So we only played with 6 guys and I was pretty much dead.

#8 suffered from a compound fracture (lower leg, snapped both the tibia and fibula) in the last training session of the season (probably 2 days after that pic was taken) and missed the final game of the season. That was a shame, but we still managed to win.

Anyway, I'm going to start going to training again (this Friday night, 7.30 - 9.30) to get myself back in to the flow of things (I sometimes take too much of a break from basketball over the summer) for a tournament coming up in August (8th and 9th), so I've only got just over two weeks to get ready for it.

I'll definitly try and get plenty of pics from the tournament though.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #27
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

Quote:
she wasn't a diehard fan until we met but she grew up here (LA) and rooted for the Lakers like normal local people do, i am nba obsessive and turned her into a watch-every-game fan. She gets into it, f*cking loves Kobe, she talks about him like the kids in the NBA forum, doesn't understand when he doesn't score 35+ points that he's human. She scored us courtside seats (two 2500$ tickets) when the bulls were in town ([url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UMcpVw0A60"Check at the 35 second mark[/URL] you will see kobe JUMP OVER ME. i'm in the grey shirt and she's next to me, Tyrus Thomas jumped us too earlier in the game and broke the seat next to me, the floor staff kept saying how much action our seats were getting) through her work (she works on a popular tv show, somebody offered the creator of the show the tickets and we got them) and then bought us good seats when the blazers were in town for xmas. she's a bad girl, i got very lucky. We were both working these sketches that were filmed for the Spike TV Guy's Choice awards and we hit it off, working with Mr. T, Tracy Morgan, and Lee Majors will help love blossom. LA girls get a bad rap but there are some dandies out here.
I think I saw you. You were wearing the gray shirt right?
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #28
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

Quote:
8-10 weeks +playoffs and i think there's an all star game

what city are you in?

she wasn't a diehard fan until we met but she grew up here (LA) and rooted for the Lakers like normal local people do, i am nba obsessive and turned her into a watch-every-game fan. She gets into it, f*cking loves Kobe, she talks about him like the kids in the NBA forum, doesn't understand when he doesn't score 35+ points that he's human. She scored us courtside seats (two 2500$ tickets) when the bulls were in town (Check at the 35 second mark you will see kobe JUMP OVER ME. i'm in the grey shirt and she's next to me, Tyrus Thomas jumped us too earlier in the game and broke the seat next to me, the floor staff kept saying how much action our seats were getting) through her work (she works on a popular tv show, somebody offered the creator of the show the tickets and we got them) and then bought us good seats when the blazers were in town for xmas. she's a bad girl, i got very lucky. We were both working these sketches that were filmed for the Spike TV Guy's Choice awards and we hit it off, working with Mr. T, Tracy Morgan, and Lee Majors will help love blossom. LA girls get a bad rap but there are some dandies out here.

I live in Arlington, Va....bout 5 a minute drive from Washington D.C.

Those seats are pretty sick. I saw a Wizards game probably in the same place but 5 rows up when wizards faced Orlando years ago when T-Mac was in his prime...pretty cool i guess.

What do you exactly do? are you a graphics guy or like a film guy?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #29
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
BTW, #12 is a d'bag. Everyone on the team shouted at him atleast once during every single game due to his lack of understanding. Hell, in one game (the game I mentioned in my first post about me having the flu), we only had 7 players show up and I had the flu, he didn't even play. So we only played with 6 guys and I was pretty much dead.

#8 suffered from a compound fracture (lower leg, snapped both the tibia and fibula) in the last training session of the season (probably 2 days after that pic was taken) and missed the final game of the season. That was a shame, but we still managed to win.

Brutal. Compouond fractures scare the sh*t out of me.

#12 is CLEARLY a douche bag. A chav, a biff, a scally. (me trying to be cool with the english kid, do ya'll still say "chav"?). Seriously you can tell by his body language that he's hate-able.

How tall are you? (i can figure out metric if you don't know feet+inches)

you all look very english.

Good stuff. Obviously the league is over, do you still play? You do soccer as well or are you the weird british kid who plays american sports?

Quote:
I live in Arlington, Va....bout 5 a minute drive from Washington D.C.

Those seats are pretty sick. I saw a Wizards game probably in the same place but 5 rows up when wizards faced Orlando years ago when T-Mac was in his prime...pretty cool i guess.

What do you exactly do? are you a graphics guy or like a film guy?

i work in tv/film.

my old man played junior high, high school, and college ball with don "nellie" nelson and we got to go down and stay at his place a few years back when he was coaching the mavs, went to a couple games including T-mac in his prime with Orlando as well. definitely cool.

there's no way DC doesn't have some good men's leagues, Here's One. There's a few in Burke and Annandale VA on craigslist. a google search of basketball league or men's basketball league with your zip code will find some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
I think I saw you. You were wearing the gray shirt right?

yeah. kobe sort of splits two people, i'm the one on the right, the younger guy in the grey shirt. I sort of duck and cover and pick up the beer that spilled

Last edited by Lamar Doom : 07-21-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:32 AM   #30
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Default Re: My Summer League-- Lamar Doom's Twilight Tour Into Greatness (photos, stats, vide

Quote:
Brutal. Compouond fractures scare the sh*t out of me.

#12 is CLEARLY a douche bag. A chav, a biff, a scally. (me trying to be cool with the english kid, do ya'll still say "chav"?). Seriously you can tell by his body language that he's hate-able.

How tall are you? (i can figure out metric if you don't know feet+inches)

you all look very english.

Good stuff. Obviously the league is over, do you still play? You do soccer as well or are you the weird british kid who plays american sports?
You don't hear 'chav' being used much, but people still hate that kind.

I'm about 6'3-6'4. Second tallest on the team. #15 is about 6'5, but is really stiff and rather slow. I'm much more athletic, but he is much stronger.

I'm going back to training this Friday, to get back into my rhythm for a tourament coming up soon. It's just a small summer tournament for a small charity foundation. It should be fun.

But I haven't played since the end of the season, that was about mid march. So, it's been a while since I've played properly. I did play at college during that time, but the competition was piss poor and did't really help me learn anything. It was just a run around for fun kind of thing.

I only play basketball. I did play football (soccer) when I was younger, but I got bored of it and switched sports. I do enjoy watching a lot of sports though, but I only play basketball.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: