Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 07-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
derf
I airball my layups

derf has an OK reputation so far
Default how many years before thabeet can dominate

from the look of summer league marc has nothing to worry about.i thought thabeet would dominate summer league with defense.we need to hire mutombo to work with him.if he turns out to be as good as mutombo i would be happy
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation
Default Re: how many years before thabeet can dominate

I would be happy if he turns out half as good as Mutombo was. He will need a lot of time to be useful for the team, I guess.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 AM   #3
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

I would give one year, maybe two at the most. Before he is a top ten to top five center in the league.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
I would give one year, maybe two at the most. Before he is a top ten to top five center in the league.
That's a bold statement. Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but if he hasn't been able to be efficient in a simple summer league, I frankly doubt he will do it in the NBA in such a short time. But, hey, I would be glad if that happens!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
That's a bold statement. Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but if he hasn't been able to be efficient in a simple summer league, I frankly doubt he will do it in the NBA in such a short time. But, hey, I would be glad if that happens!
I was partially kidding.When I say top ten center in the league, its not as good as it sounds. Can you name ten good centers in the league? Maybe you can but only four to five of them are all star caliber.My point is that his position is really weak currently in the nba so he should be able to become one of the top centers around.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
FIXED
PleezeBelieve Disciple

FIXED is considered somewhat coolFIXED is considered somewhat cool

he might be able to dominate defensively but never offensively
FIXED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I see him struggling at first, he's definitly not going to come in and provide anything that is out standing straight away. He's definitly a work in progress and could take a few years before he shows any sign of being a worthy number 2 pick.

He sure as hell is not worthy of starting over Gasol and if I was Gasol and saw Thabeet starting over me, I'd be pissed.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
I was partially kidding.When I say top ten center in the league, its not as good as it sounds. Can you name ten good centers in the league? Maybe you can but only four to five of them are all star caliber.My point is that his position is really weak currently in the nba so he should be able to become one of the top centers around.

positive way of thinking, haha...
Old 07-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
As you already agreed, that's not saying alot, nowadays.

Really mediocre guys like Andrew Bogut, 35yr old Marcus Camby, and oft-injured Chris Kaman are "top 10 centers" nowadays.

Defensive awareness and rebounding is usually something that translates to any league. But he will definitely need to hit the gym to make the adjustment to the NBA. As soon he hits the gym harder, the quicker he becomes a "top 10 center"... but for him to become an "elite" center, at best, I'd probably say the full 4yr length of his rookie contract.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
As you already agreed, that's not saying alot, nowadays.

Really mediocre guys like Andrew Bogut, 35yr old Marcus Camby, and oft-injured Chris Kaman are "top 10 centers" nowadays.

Defensive awareness and rebounding is usually something that translates to any league. But he will definitely need to hit the gym to make the adjustment to the NBA. As soon he hits the gym harder, the quicker he becomes a "top 10 center"... but for him to become an "elite" center, at best, I'd probably say the full 4yr length of his rookie contract.
All good points. Plus to quote Zach Randolph "Im gonna work him hard in practice and get him tough". He said that he was goona be real rough on him in practice that way he would get used to hard play and get passed that part of the game.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I say two to four. Defense usually carries over straight from college to the NBA immediately but...he's weak and can get pushed around easily until he puts on weight he's not going to be that good. Plus I really doubt he develops an offensive game which will hold him back alot too, until he adds some bulk to his build.
Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
OJMayoDaFuture
I Go Hard In The Paint

OJMayoDaFuture has an OK reputation so far

Two Year And 4 At The Most But I See Him Rebounding Not Scoring
OJMayoDaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
jailer
MillionDollarException

He needs more energy out there. He has the desire but not the passion. We will see how the season plays out.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: