Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 06-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Sergio to New York is agreed on

Apparently the teams have a deal in place (according to a certain competing website's wire). It doesn't say who the Blazers are getting, but the deal has been in place for 3 weeks. Any ideas who it is for? My guess is that the Knicks pick and Lee are not involved due to other rumors that have circulated recently. The Knicks wouldn't be "shopping" Lee if there was already a deal in place. I just can't see Sergio being the leading piece in a trade for Stephon Curry either.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Moose

Default Re: Sergio to New York is agreed on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Apparently the teams have a deal in place (according to a certain competing website's wire). It doesn't say who the Blazers are getting, but the deal has been in place for 3 weeks. Any ideas who it is for? My guess is that the Knicks pick and Lee are not involved due to other rumors that have circulated recently. The Knicks wouldn't be "shopping" Lee if there was already a deal in place. I just can't see Sergio being the leading piece in a trade for Stephon Curry either.

You mean Stephen, not Stephon. Stephon is a bad word in MSG.

Yeah, I just read that too. I like Rodriguez, he'll play well under Mike D'Antoni's 7 seconds or less offense. We could use another point guard, espically someone like Rodriguez.

Also, we'll have two Rodriguez in NY. Him and A-Rod.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Myth

I'm now wondering if there is a possibility that it is Sergio+24th+2nd rounder for #8. There is also a high possibility that it is for NY's trade exception.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I'm now wondering if there is a possibility that it is Sergio+24th+2nd rounder for #8. There is also a high possibility that it is for NY's trade exception.

I highly doubt they'll be trading the #8 pick for Sergio, the 24th pick and the second round pick. I could see the Knicks possibly trading their trade exception, David Lee and/or Nate Robinson for Sergio Rodriguez, the first round pick and/or the second round pick.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:42 AM   #5
el gringos
Great college starter

Is it really at all realistic to think that david lee or pick #8 is involved in a trade for sergio? Portland imo would have to give much more and take something less than you are thinking- maybe a sergio/nate swap but don't expect a great pick or a lee w/out giving much more
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Renegade
I hit open layups

It amazes me the amount of discussion on this and other websites for an article that is 4 sentences. This, like everything else heard at this time of the year, is a nothing more than a rumor and it doesn't fit into the Pritchard mode or operation (tight lipped and secretive).
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
I highly doubt they'll be trading the #8 pick for Sergio, the 24th pick and the second round pick. I could see the Knicks possibly trading their trade exception, David Lee and/or Nate Robinson for Sergio Rodriguez, the first round pick and/or the second round pick.

This seems the most likely. I have also elsewhere heard something like Sergio + #24 for the trade exception and a future protected 1st round pick. It would save the Blazers money for this year's free agency, while simply delaying when we get our draft pick, so its not just giving up the #24 like it is a toss in. The draft is most likely involved in this deal since they are waiting for the draft to make things official.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

I'd like to see Sergio for Jefferies and a pick.

Jefferies is a good hustle player, defender and tough. His contract isn't great but it comes off the books the same time that the Blazers would be looking to extend Oden which would help things out there. They could use that six million that they get from Jefferies and give it to Greg.

Also, Knick fans are going to be very disappointed in Sergio Rodriguez and he will finally be exposed and all the Blazer fans like me and Myth who have been saying trade this guy for nearly two years will look like brainiacs.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen

Also, Knick fans are going to be very disappointed in Sergio Rodriguez and he will finally be exposed and all the Blazer fans like me and Myth who have been saying trade this guy for nearly two years will look like brainiacs.

That completely depends on their expectations. Many Blazer fans had high expectations for Sergio (heck, some still believe he is the answer for the future). But playing for D'Antoni could be a best case scenerio for Sergio to maximize his abilities. Thats not saying Sergio will be great under D'Antoni, but he certainly can be more effective for them than he was for us. So, if the Knicks don't expect more than a decent backup PG (decent for them, not simply in general) that they can get their small amount of money's worth out of.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Well gauging from what is said from non Blazer fans on this site, it seems like people deem Nate McMillan an idiot for not playing Sergio.

Honestly, I don't see him flourishing in the D'Antoni system. I think he isn't a good enough shooter and doesn't make quick enough decisions with the ball and to get down to it, good decisions with the ball either.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
Honestly, I don't see him flourishing in the D'Antoni system. I think he isn't a good enough shooter and doesn't make quick enough decisions with the ball and to get down to it, good decisions with the ball either.

However, D'Antoni will have Sergio push the ball. Half court offense (like the Blazers play) is where Sergio truly is horrible. I see Sergio flourishing as much as he can, but still I don't see him doing well enough for me to ever look at him and regret giving him away simply for cap reasons.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:47 AM   #12
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

I am pretty happy to that Surge is being traded. He is a decent player but I just dont think he fits very well on the team. I really hope this means the Blazers will give Bayless some burn next season. It feels like a lot of people have forgotten that he exists. His IQ is still a little questionable but I really like his aggressiveness and his defense. I think the first round showed that we need Bayless or someone like him to slow down a guy like Brooks and get some fouls on Yao.

I like Nate Robinson, but I really dont think there is room for him in Portland. I do like the sound of a trade exception, especially if it helps us bring another great player back to Portland. We could really use a veteran SF. I want to see Butler, Posey or Prince in a blazers jersey.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

I can't wait to see Bayless get some consistant minutes. Travis Outlaw and Gerald Wallace, well the majority of NBA players don't play well and look very dumb when they arn't sure whether they will play that night or even if they do play, knowing they have a short hook so that they could be pulled at any whistle so they try and go for the big plays that stand out instead of probably the smarter more risk free plays.

I think that Bayless isn't a very inteligent basketball player but I think he's on par with the other guys who start in the league and his perimeter defense should be enough to get him a steady 20-25 minutes a night and with that consistancy, then maybe his jumper will arrive and we all know the aggresiveness will be there night in and night out.

I truely think he will be more consistant than Sergio was at any point in his Portland career just in his sophmore season and I think we could see Bayless bloom into the starter around the All-Star break.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #14
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

I may be in the minority on this, but I am hoping we keep Sergio. He is definitely still a young talent that is growing. He did beat out Jerryd Bayless last year. His shot improved noticeably, and he did contribute to quiet a few of those 54 wins.

If the Blazers trade him I hope he leaves on good terms. I know the fans really like him, and he is a good guy.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
I may be in the minority on this, but I am hoping we keep Sergio. He is definitely still a young talent that is growing. He did beat out Jerryd Bayless last year. His shot improved noticeably, and he did contribute to quiet a few of those 54 wins.

If the Blazers trade him I hope he leaves on good terms. I know the fans really like him, and he is a good guy.

I've always figured that there was more politics behind that. First, by continuing to play him, it would make sure he retains some trade value. Second, the Blazers knew they weren't unloading either Bayless or Sergio immediately, so one of them really wasn't going to play. The Blazers brass could tell Bayless that it was because he was a rookie and Bayless would be content for the year, but Sergio was a 3rd year so telling him he was benched would put him in a hissy fit and his complaining could lead to chemistry issues. I guess that maybe the team also chose Sergio over Bayless because Sergio was familiar with the plays and the system, but Bayless is now familiar with the system too and it seems that the Blazers are choosing Bayless over Sergio overall.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: