Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 06-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far
Default O.J. Mayo: The next great one?

I got bored and decided to look up videos and articles about the grizz. I have to tell you guys this. I think we are very lucky to have Mayo. I watch his game and I see flashes of brilliance. He is so crafty and he has such a smooth shot. He has great speed and ball handeling prowess. He is able to weave his way through traffic and make impossible plays possible. He reminds me so much of Dwayne Wade, except Mayo has a jumper. I really think in a few seasons when people look back on the draft of 08', everyone will say that Mayo is the best player in that draft.

Maybe I am thinking homerish or to optimistic. But I dont usually think like that. I just really think he will be that good. I sit here now in anticipation of the up coming draft. Not to mention how pumped I will be for the summer league. And I am already putting money together for season tickets. I personally can't wait for next season. It's gonna be a pleasure to watch Mayo become one of the great players in the N.B.A.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: O.J. Mayo: The next great one?

Im not trying to hate, but I think hell be a menial star... He will be badass, but I just dont think he will be 'a great one'.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:01 AM   #3
Batman
High School Starter

Batman has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
I got bored and decided to look up videos and articles about the grizz. I have to tell you guys this. I think we are very lucky to have Mayo. I watch his game and I see flashes of brilliance. He is so crafty and he has such a smooth shot. He has great speed and ball handeling prowess. He is able to weave his way through traffic and make impossible plays possible. He reminds me so much of Dwayne Wade, except Mayo has a jumper. I really think in a few seasons when people look back on the draft of 08', everyone will say that Mayo is the best player in that draft.

Maybe I am thinking homerish or to optimistic. But I dont usually think like that. I just really think he will be that good. I sit here now in anticipation of the up coming draft. Not to mention how pumped I will be for the summer league. And I am already putting money together for season tickets. I personally can't wait for next season. It's gonna be a pleasure to watch Mayo become one of the great players in the N.B.A.

He has a chance I will give you that. lilojmayo calls him the 6'4 Mamba ( Kobe) and we all know how liloj's mind works . Mayo needs to have a killer instinct, the skill level is there though. He might be the " next one', but I think Rudy Gay will take too many shots away from Mayo for Mayo to unlock his full potential
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The last month of last season was fantastic to watch. The entire team was clicking and Rudy was taking excellent shots and only shot under 50% a couple of times. So, if he can improve his decision making and not take every shot that comes his way, then I can see Mayo and Gay becoming a solid duo.

Mayo definitly has the potential to become a great player, but honestly, I don't see him being greater than someone like Joe Johnson. Lots of talent and potential, but a poor market and a poor team are not going to help.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
jailer
MillionDollarException

I dont know what it is. I just have this feeling that in a few years he is going to be one of the top five stars in the league. I am just very thankful that he is the corner stone to our furure.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
Rose
nanu nanu

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think he'll be the next great one, he has that Kobe potential he has all the skills and style. And I do believe he has the determination. But I don't know if he and Rudy Gay can co-exist on one team they both want their shots, granted the last 6weeks or so of the season everyone seemed to mesh right in together. So I guess anything's possible. The New coach really changed everything in memphis from the play of Conley to the team, and I believe even the team's attitude. I think after he came in they felt like they could actually be winners, and not just losers.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
Mayo definitly has the potential to become a great player, but honestly, I don't see him being greater than someone like Joe Johnson. Lots of talent and potential, but a poor market and a poor team are not going to help.
Answered my question.

Unless Mayo is an undeniably amazing talent like LeBron, it will be impossible to get national interest in a market like Memphis.

Thats why a guy like Durant was left off the All Star team although he was in the Top 5 in scoring, its just hard to get him out there while in a small market.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
The last month of last season was fantastic to watch. The entire team was clicking and Rudy was taking excellent shots and only shot under 50% a couple of times. So, if he can improve his decision making and not take every shot that comes his way, then I can see Mayo and Gay becoming a solid duo.

Joe Johnson? Really kebab? Mayo's numbers in his rookie season were almost as good as johnson's this past season. And correct me if im wrong, but didnt johnson make the all star team this season?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Joe Johnson? Really kebab? Mayo's numbers in his rookie season were almost as good as johnson's this past season. And correct me if im wrong, but didnt johnson make the all star team this season?
Huh?

Johnson averaged 21.4 PPG 5.8 APG 4.4 RPG 2.4 Turnovers
Mayo averaged 18.5 PPG 3.2 APG 3.8 RPG 2.7 Turnovers

What is bolded is very very important, Johnson not only scored more points but got others involved more efficiently than Mayo did this past season.

And it also has to due with popularity, Johnson is arguably one of the 20 best players in the NBA, however he plays for a nothing team in a nothing basketball market.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 AM   #10
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Huh?

Johnson averaged 21.4 PPG 5.8 APG 4.4 RPG 2.4 Turnovers
Mayo averaged 18.5 PPG 3.2 APG 3.8 RPG 2.7 Turnovers

What is bolded is very very important, Johnson not only scored more points but got others involved more efficiently than Mayo did this past season.

And it also has to due with popularity, Johnson is arguably one of the 20 best players in the NBA, however he plays for a nothing team in a nothing basketball market.
Yes but did you look at all the shooting numbers? Mayo beats him at everything. Mayo's overal fg% is slightly better, he shot 2 1/2% better at three, he shot 5% better from the free throw line. And mayo did it in two less minutes per game.

Mayo's stats in his first year are comparable to johnson's. Mayo scored two points less and two less assists. But mayo was a more efficent scorer and played in all his games( only three more than johnson)
Old 06-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #11
jailer
MillionDollarException

A little something else. Check the rookie season of wade. And mayo beats him in every category except assists. Wade average half an assist more. And wade avg .3 more steals.

And now wadeis arguably one of the top five players in the league when healthy.

Mayo is gonna be a beast guys. Im just declaring now that im on his band wagon fully.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 AM   #12
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I agree, he is going to be a beast, he should be an excellent player. But let's not forget that Johnson is also an excellent player, who is underrated by many. Johnson is one of the better players in the league, but he just doesn't get the recognition, despite making the All-Star team the past 3 years in a row.

Statistically speaking, I think Mayo might be slightly better than Joe Johnson or Michael Redd. That's the kind of ball park I see Mayo being in. Which isn't a bad thing at all. If Mayo can get up to 23/5/6, then I think that's absolutely excellent.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

I had the awesome opportunity to see Mayo go head to head against Kobe for 2 days BEFORE he played his first game at USC, Mayo held his own on offense and defense, he blocked Kobe a few times including twice at the rim and even threw it down on Kobe a few times.....of course Kobe got his, but i'll tell you now......the kid is the REAL DEAL!!!!!!
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
I agree, he is going to be a beast, he should be an excellent player. But let's not forget that Johnson is also an excellent player, who is underrated by many. Johnson is one of the better players in the league, but he just doesn't get the recognition, despite making the All-Star team the past 3 years in a row.

Statistically speaking, I think Mayo might be slightly better than Joe Johnson or Michael Redd. That's the kind of ball park I see Mayo being in. Which isn't a bad thing at all. If Mayo can get up to 23/5/6, then I think that's absolutely excellent.

Yeah I brought johnson on purpose actually. Johnson is a good shooting guard. I was justing pointing out that after one season mayo's stats were anear a three time all star who is regarded as one one of the best two's in the league currently.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I had the awesome opportunity to see Mayo go head to head against Kobe for 2 days BEFORE he played his first game at USC, Mayo held his own on offense and defense, he blocked Kobe a few times including twice at the rim and even threw it down on Kobe a few times.....of course Kobe got his, but i'll tell you now......the kid is the REAL DEAL!!!!!!

He played kobe one on one right out of high school? Thats pretty cool.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: