Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 07-28-2009, 01:52 AM   #16
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

acidbasesalt has decent reputationacidbasesalt has decent reputation
Default Re: Okafor for Chandler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obonpaxis
No. Okafor at least has a few post moves. Chandler has none.

Chandler is quicker, but offensively he's only good for put-backs and that's pretty useless if you run a Larry Brown half-court type of game.

The team (as presently constituted) has no potential. Yeah we could scramble for 8th seed this year, but anyone with a brain knows we'll be one and done with this roster.

We're a small-market franchise. Nothing wrong with that, but small market franchises have to draft well and watch their cap room (San Antonio is the model system). We've drafted poorly. No GM who knows the NBA would have taken Adam Morrison over Brandon Roy (or Sean May over Danny Granger for that matter). We've also overpaid mediocre talent. Nazr Mohammed???

Oh well. There's always tomorrow.

So let's hope all players in the rest 29 teams have torn ACL and can't receive surgical repair because the waitlist is too long and teams are cash strapped to pay the cost of surgeries. Yes, congrats the healthcare system.

Anyway I like the idea of shipping out Okafor. I hate seeing Okafor being blocked by other big men so often. . He can't even defend Shaq.

At least the FO realized they have quite a bit of mess to clean up, not to mention they fxxxxxx created this long-term commitment mess.

And all we need to do is making Radmanovic a super mutant capable of playing PF.

Last edited by acidbasesalt : 07-28-2009 at 02:10 AM.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:18 AM   #17
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

Valuewise I think it sucks. BB wise probably not too bad.

* "Just dunk the **** ball"? Check
* "It'd be nice if we had a center who can run the pick and roll"? Check
* Great hands? Check.
* Get out of Mek's last 3 (toxic) years? Check.

If we could possibly swap out Vlad for Posey and get their 1st round pick I'd like this better.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:36 AM   #18
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation here

it's a done deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4359609

seriously, i don't understand. can anybody explain the logic to me? okafor's one of the best rebounders in the game, a great shot blocker, and has some nice post moves. he consistently puts up around 14/11 per game and is a solid defender. he's also one of the best running big men in the game.

this makes no sense to me. we take on more salary for an obviously worse player. and mek's been here since he was a rookie. can somebody explain how this trade is beneficial for the cats in any way?
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #19
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

TarHeelBorn has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno
this makes no sense to me. we take on more salary for an obviously worse player. and mek's been here since he was a rookie. can somebody explain how this trade is beneficial for the cats in any way?
It makes sense b/c the staff (aka Larry Brown) probably determined that Okafor has little to no upside. Now the argument isn't that Chandler does have upside but that in 2 years, it won't matter b/c Chandler won't have 3 years and 40 million left on his contract...

This team has to free up cap space if they want to become relevant. Like someone said, we haven't drafted well and we haven't spent well. Well this is a long term cost cutting move that will give us a lot more options in 2 years.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #20
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Mek's just not big enough. LB has been saying since he got here that we have to get bigger if we want to compete in the East. As much as I like Mek, he's not a legit center. And why is everyone saying he has great post moves? Have I been watching someone else for 5 years?

He's a classy guy but a rather bland, robotic post player with probably the worst hands of any big man in the game. Besides, Chandler's contract expires in 2 years. If he doesn't work out this season he will be valuable trade bait.

I've learned from this past season not to doubt LB's basketball wisdom. I was floored by the J-rich trade and look how that turned out.

Felton, Augustin
Bell, Henderson
Diaw, Brown
Wallace, Vlad
Chandler, Diop, Nazr

Not a bad roster at all imo. And I'm pretty sure we're not done yet.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #21
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I asked my wife what percentage of my rants during Bobcats games were due to some stupid thing Okafor did, and she had to agree it was a large part of the pie. Haven't you seen the guy play? Haven't you seen every big man in the league block his feeble attempts at lay-ups? Haven't you seen him pout like a spoiled teenager when he commits a dumb foul? I mean, I got tired of yelling "DUNK THE EFFING BALL" every time he was near the rim

Pulled off the Observer page.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #22
RoTM
Local High School Star

RoTM has an OK reputation so far

It couldve been worse Crash or Mek for trash. At least we got a basketball player at a need position of comparable talent. To bad that now fans have to worry about long term contract dumping to make the team sellable in 09-10. It might not be NOH moving to Seattle soon
RoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #23
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrome05
i didnt get anything that you just said...
dont worry about it then
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #24
BeebCats
Serious playground baller

BeebCats has an OK reputation so far

I liked okafor, but I'll admit, his shot getting blocked was kind of annoying

I'm ok with this, AS LONG AS Chandler actually plays. I wouldn't think OKC would return him after his physical for no apparent reason, especially when their hole at the time was at center... He did have a lot of time to recover last season though.

As for his offensive production... we didn't rely on Okafor for offense at all. Sometimes, it would look like it, and he'd be like 6-8 from the field in the 1st Q. After that, he'd never touch the ball. So... on offense, our game hasn't changed at all pretty much.

Basically, it all hinges on Chandler's health is what I'm trying to get at.
BeebCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #25
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

Steve Martin's blog FWIW (he is an employee):

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/blog_squad_0910.html

Quote:
Chandlerís health has been in question over the last year and a half, but heíll be ready to go for the Bobcats in 2009-10. A lingering toe injury nullified a trade between the Hornets and the Thunder at the trade deadline this past season. That was compounded by a nagging ankle sprain that sidelined him all but 45 games in 2008-09. Offseason corrective surgeries in both areas leave Chandler 100 percent ready to go at training camp with full flexibility in both areas.

Except for last year and one other season he's played almost all the games. 6 years outta 8 isn't bad. Mek really can't say much better.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #26
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What the hell just happened?

LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #27
TBone
I airball my layups

TBone has decent reputation

Maybe LB sees Chandler as more of a Ben Wallace type player. He rarely ran any offense to him and he did all the dirty work-rebounds, blocks, put backs. It would give others more shot opportunities
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #28
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

We got size. Okafor was a PF we were forcing to play at Center. With Boris Diaw playing so well, its better for us to have 2 legitimate centers in Chandler and Diop rather than having Okafor and Diop.

Now, with this occurrence, we still have no backup power forward. Derrick Brown doesn't count. Vlad Rad is very movable at this point. Nazr isn't as much, but I don't see why we couldn't use him as a backup PF.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #29
BeebCats
Serious playground baller

BeebCats has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
We got size. Okafor was a PF we were forcing to play at Center. With Boris Diaw playing so well, its better for us to have 2 legitimate centers in Chandler and Diop rather than having Okafor and Diop.

Now, with this occurrence, we still have no backup power forward. Derrick Brown doesn't count. Vlad Rad is very movable at this point. Nazr isn't as much, but I don't see why we couldn't use him as a backup PF.

Maybe LB thinks ajinca is ready!

Doubtful... but I can dream, can't I
BeebCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #30
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh

Exactly. We now have some flexibility to go small (Vlad/Brown) or big (Nazr) depending on the matchup. We can also go freakin huge which we've never been able to do before. Is Chandler the final piece to the puzzle? Of course not. But at least LB is getting what he's asking for.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: