Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 07-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #31
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Default Re: Okafor for Chandler?

Also, if this short term thing doesn't work out, we are now the kind of team that is become more aggressive in the FA/trading market. No player is safe (except Wallace probably) and the FO is never satisfied. As long as we keep making smart decisions, I'm ok with the trades.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #32
Tuvi
Unknown Legend

Well the trade for Chandler gives the bobcats a good defensive 7-0 center. Chandlers health is a big concern but i like that the bobcats are trying to add new pieces and get better, although this may not work out.
Tuvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #33
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Also, if this short term thing doesn't work out, we are now the kind of team that is become more aggressive in the FA/trading market. No player is safe (except Wallace probably) and the FO is never satisfied. As long as we keep making smart decisions, I'm ok with the trades.

Once again Timmeh is right on the mark. (Are you sure you need to go back to school? ) As a small market we're never gonna be able to out-pay or out-bid a large market team. Our best bet is through trades.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #34
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Once again Timmeh is right on the mark. (Are you sure you need to go back to school? ) As a small market we're never gonna be able to out-pay or out-bid a large market team. Our best bet is through trades.
Haha, I wish I didn't have to. However I am enjoying the college life, so life's great right now.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #35
MikeUK
Decent playground baller

I don't hate the trade but Chandler had better be healthy! Mek never really fitted at Center where he was one of very very few players to average a double double but his height seemed to be questioned, or at PF since he had no range. I couldn't see a problem with his height if he performed (and I think he did!) and indeed he was certainly for me in the top 6-12 range of NBA centers. Chandler is there or there abouts too, without the height knock on him, but injury concerns instead and call me crazy, but I'd rather have my starter play every game effectively but give up 2 inches in height than miss him half the season.

We get an equally good center if he is fit and it ends the whole, do we play Okafor at C or PF and who plays with him questions. We now have 2 clear starters since Diaw is about our only option at PF and can move forward. Not pleased, not pissed, just keen to start the season. If he's fit we break even on the trade but if he's not we lost and have to take the hit this year and blow things up next year using his contract as trade bait.

Would have liked to see us unload Nazr even if it was for junk since he's our third string (and neither he or the 2 ahead of him could play a minute of PF in my opinion, whoever said they thought one could is dreaming sorry)!
MikeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #36
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

It all comes down to height and strength. How many points did Okafor give up last year because his man was taller and stronger? For example: Shaq, Dwight Howard, Garnett, Yao, Bynum, Dirk, etc. I know some of those aren't centers, but Mek did play against them, especially if he was playing the 4.

Chandler at 7'1 is as tall, if not taller than most big men. Pair him with whoever - Diaw, Diop or Mohammed - we're good down low against the other team's tallest player. Shots now are not as easy. Rebounds are harder to come by because there's a guy 4-5 inches taller guarding down low.

On paper, this trade looks pretty stupid. But we were also really good on paper last year, but there were a lot of unseen things that made us lose out on the playoffs. A dominant post presence (ie Tyson Chandler) was one of those reasons.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #37
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Could Chandler turn out to be one of those guys who makes the players around him better?
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 PM   #38
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Quote:
Owl, I was kidding. However, I would'nt be surprised. It seems like the same situation. New Orleans wanted a team, Shinn moved out.

New Orleans hasn't been the same since Katrina, Seattle wants a team back, Shinn seems like the shallow-enough human being to do it.

Hornets aren't going anywhere. The Hornets have been profitable in New Orleans since returning from OKC. If Seattle wants a team their city/state politicos has to also want it. They didn't, so their team left. They're just as much a reason that team is gone as Clay Bennett is. The Hornets are fine in New Orleans. And don't forget Shinn has a very wealthy local owner backing him up.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #39
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

I'm sitting here trying to think what Mek's best moment as a Bobcat was and the only thing I can think of is the Lakers game several years ago where he had something like 22 rebounds. Funny thing is I was at that game and didn't realize that stat till I read it in the paper the next day.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #40
BeebCats
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
Could Chandler turn out to be one of those guys who makes the players around him better?

I read in truehoop that Chandler: A) held his man to around -3.2 PER, which just enforces the idea of him being a great defender and B) that when he was on the court, NO's offense was actually better.

So maybe that is the case? Anyway, I'm looking for the season to start. Personally I don't see how we could be any worse, but I do see ways we could be better, so I'm excited.
BeebCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #41
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Also, if he's paired with Diaw and his great passing skills, Chandler's offense may go up a little.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #42
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Did any of us every really expect that the day would come that Okafor would be traded and we'd be okay with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure didn't. (What has happened to the value of our Okafor bobblehead dolls?).
Old 07-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #43
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

What am I going to do with my Okafor jerseys (that I got last year discounted)? I guess I can still wear them, maybe I can tape "Chandler" on the back over Okafor.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #44
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
Did any of us every really expect that the day would come that Okafor would be traded and we'd be okay with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure didn't. (What has happened to the value of our Okafor bobblehead dolls?).

They've increased in value and will continue to do so.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #45
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
What am I going to do with my Okafor jerseys (that I got last year discounted)? I guess I can still wear them, maybe I can tape "Chandler" on the back over Okafor.

You could wear them when you do yardwork. Or shovel snow. Or offer them for sale on the NOH message board. Funny I checked their board and they don't have too much going on. Nothing about the trade being final. Almost nothing. Odd.

(Of course we're missing some folk from our board, too. I can't believe that we've had no comment from Liverpooty regarding the Mek/Chandler trade. Tar Cat is wondering whether to renew her season tickets and we lost Feltonian and Felton in '08 quite some time ago.)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: