Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #241
Suprageex
Are You Lucky, Punk?
 
Suprageex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In the trunk
Posts: 410
Default Re: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

It's Official; The Return Of The Candyman
Quote:
Odom sees multiple titles for Lakers


Posted Aug 1 2009 9:25AM

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- Even when Lamar Odom wasn't talking to the Lakers, even when Dwyane Wade was blowing up his phone during the longest July of Odom's basketball life, the Los Angeles forward couldn't honestly imagine going anywhere else.

Just a few weeks after winning his first NBA title, the Lakers' most sought-after free agent wasn't about to lose the thrill by starting over. After agreeing to a four-year contract to stay with the Lakers, he's expecting to feel it again -- and perhaps again and again and again.

"I guess basketball-wise, I feel complete," Odom said during a formal signing ceremony Friday at the Lakers' training complex. "I want to feel it again."

"It's kind of an overwhelming feeling," he added. "I get goose bumps when I think about it, and as long as I continue to play professional basketball, I want to always feel that. The way I feel during the summer, I always want to feel that. If we can win six, seven, eight, nine, 10 championships in a row, I want to experience that."

With Odom's return, the Lakers will hit training camp in two months with their 15th championship team largely intact. Swingman Trevor Ariza is the only big departure, and he was replaced by Ron Artest, a friend and competitor to Odom since both were precocious preteens playing ball in various New York City leagues.

Even while Odom wasn't under contract with the Lakers in early July, he was recruiting Artest to sign with Los Angeles for most of the same reasons Odom eventually agreed to return.

"I spoke to Ron two days before he signed, and I told him how important I think it is for him to come here," Odom said. "Because I know how hard he works, he needs to experience basketball at its best, at the highest level, and he needs to become a Laker. Two days after that, he signed."

After a cooling-off period between the team and Odom's representation ended last weekend, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak apparently ended up signing Odom for an offer worth slightly less than his initial offer. After spending months cautioning fans to understand the realities of the NBA salary cap and luxury tax, Kupchak and owner Jerry Buss mostly managed to keep a good thing together.

"Three or four months ago, I didn't think it could be possible that we could basically bring this team back in whole," Kupchak said. "Lamar had a wonderful season that ended on the best possible note you could have, and Lamar had a lot of options. ... Here it is, July 31, and we have brought back everybody that we wanted to bring back."

Odom called the negotiations "a tedious time," but he didn't lack for attention from Miami, Portland and Dallas. He acknowledged that the Heat, particularly Wade and president Pat Riley, "were aggressive."

"Their offer was gracious, but this is where I want to play basketball," Odom said.

Odom's worth to the Lakers has always been obvious, but his willingness to embrace a reserve role during their title run made him even more valuable. He was Los Angeles' third-leading postseason scorer with 12.3 points -- hitting more than 51 percent of his 3-point shots -- and 9.1 rebounds despite starting just five games.

Although Odom said he could have enjoyed returning to Miami, he just couldn't see a reason to leave Los Angeles, his home for nine of his 10 NBA seasons with either the Clippers or their better-pedigreed roommates at Staples Center.

"I didn't want my kids to have to change schools -- just the little things," Odom said. "I'm comfortable here. I've been here since I was 19 years old. I'm proud to be playing for what I think is the most popular brand in sports."

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...0731_odom.nba/


Last edited by Suprageex : 08-02-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Suprageex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #242
TruthKGRay3412
HANNN
 
TruthKGRay3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahhhhstonnnn,MA
Posts: 6,981
Default Re: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

Mr.Basketball you should know better than to argue with Laker fans..I respect you trying to stick up for the C's and you make some legitimate points,but it gets you no where with some of the thick headed non rational Laker fans..they pounce on you like a pack of wolves and you're out numbered every time.Even if you are right,they will never admit it and if you're wrong you wouldnt even know it because they always try to make you out to be wrong in every thread. This forum lacks more Celtic fans,its practically the same 3 people who try to defend the squad..compared to the 50+ Laker fans.

I think the Lakers team is the better team going into the season,simply because they're the defending Champs,so you got to give respect where its due..when May,April and June roll around we'll see who is #1.

People seem to forget that a healthy Celtics team romped through the NBA for a Championship the 1st year,then the next season started off 26-2..before KG started to experience pain in his knee and some of the bench players got injured.With a healthy KG is there a rematch in the NBA Finals? Most likely.Do we run over the Lakers like we did in 08?Probably not,but we would still come out on top IMO.
TruthKGRay3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #243
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
DKLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,093
Default Re: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthKGRay3412
Mr.Basketball you should know better than to argue with Laker fans..I respect you trying to stick up for the C's and you make some legitimate points,but it gets you no where with some of the thick headed non rational Laker fans..they pounce on you like a pack of wolves and you're out numbered every time.Even if you are right,they will never admit it and if you're wrong you wouldnt even know it because they always try to make you out to be wrong in every thread. This forum lacks more Celtic fans,its practically the same 3 people who try to defend the squad..compared to the 50+ Laker fans.

I think the Lakers team is the better team going into the season,simply because they're the defending Champs,so you got to give respect where its due..when May,April and June roll around we'll see who is #1.

People seem to forget that a healthy Celtics team romped through the NBA for a Championship the 1st year,then the next season started off 26-2..before KG started to experience pain in his knee and some of the bench players got injured.With a healthy KG is there a rematch in the NBA Finals? Most likely.Do we run over the Lakers like we did in 08?Probably not,but we would still come out on top IMO.

You forgot to say that since then the Celtics have gotten younger and can expect to be healthier right
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #244
TruthKGRay3412
HANNN
 
TruthKGRay3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahhhhstonnnn,MA
Posts: 6,981
Default Re: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

TruthKGRay3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #245
Story Up
LAwilwintheirlsthomegm
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St. Kitts
Posts: 2,304
Default Re: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthKGRay3412
Mr.Basketball you should know better than to argue with Laker fans..I respect you trying to stick up for the C's and you make some legitimate points,but it gets you no where with some of the thick headed non rational Laker fans..they pounce on you like a pack of wolves and you're out numbered every time.Even if you are right,they will never admit it and if you're wrong you wouldnt even know it because they always try to make you out to be wrong in every thread. This forum lacks more Celtic fans,its practically the same 3 people who try to defend the squad..compared to the 50+ Laker fans.

I think the Lakers team is the better team going into the season,simply because they're the defending Champs,so you got to give respect where its due..when May,April and June roll around we'll see who is #1.

People seem to forget that a healthy Celtics team romped through the NBA for a Championship the 1st year,then the next season started off 26-2..before KG started to experience pain in his knee and some of the bench players got injured.With a healthy KG is there a rematch in the NBA Finals? Most likely.Do we run over the Lakers like we did in 08?Probably not,but we would still come out on top IMO.

You just lost all credibility right there; his arguments just sounded like a frustrated kindergarten kid not getting his way.
Story Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #246
heyhey06
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 17
Default Re: Breaking News: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game
Haters are FURIOUS.

Lakers title lock.


No such thing.
heyhey06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #247
CantStop
Banned
 
CantStop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,120
Default Re: Breaking News: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

LOL @ legitimate points when his main argument is

Rondo >>>>> Fisher

Kobe > Ray

Pierce >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ron

and so on...
CantStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #248
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter
 
LA.MJ&KB#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,042
Default Re: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthKGRay3412
Yes you are Stupid TruthKGRay..
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #249
TruthKGRay3412
HANNN
 
TruthKGRay3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahhhhstonnnn,MA
Posts: 6,981
Default Re: Breaking News: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop
LOL @ legitimate points when his main argument is

Rondo >>>>> Fisher

Kobe > Ray

Pierce >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ron

and so on...

That was stupid..these made some sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
The Celtics absolutely destroyed the Lakers when we won the championship and now with championship experience, continuous improvement of Rondo and Perk, plus added depth the Lakers really can't compete. If you ask me the Lakers should have kept Ariza. I'm laughing at you idiots because just last season Artest was a team killer but now all of sudden he's your savior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
The Celtics are bringing back all five of their championship starters plus they added depth to their bench. We needed a scorer off the bench and we got two of them. You guys got to integrate that bone-head Artest into your system who's going to start jacking up threes like he's Jason Kapono. We have more depth and Rondo and Perk have consistently gotten better and better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
It won't be as hard integrating Sheed as it will with Artest and no one is taking Morrison's contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA.MJ&KB#1
Yes you are Stupid TruthKGRay..

Steelers fan,most likely from Pittsburgh who is band wagoning the Lakers and worshiping Kobe's Pen15..dont speak.
TruthKGRay3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #250
Story Up
LAwilwintheirlsthomegm
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St. Kitts
Posts: 2,304
Default Re: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
Well, as a Lakers fan, all I can say is, it all remains to be seen.


I suppose we can only ultimately hope to see a rematch in the 2010 finals with Boston/LA going at it. The champs of the last two years, going head to head once again. Would be cool.


Regular season meants JACK SH*T as we all saw, with the Orlando and LA series....seeing as how Orlando served up the Lakers during the regular season only to be smashed on in the finals.

Orlando won two very close games by shooting lights out in the 4th quarter. Boston had two massive winning streaks going when they lost both games to LA. That means very little? These are the two teams that played in the NBA finals; and a lot of trash talking was said between both clubs.

I'm positive they both had those two games circled before the season even started. I love how Boston fans love to talk about the Garnett injury, but simply ignore the fact they beat us in the finals without two of our starters from last season.



Quote:
The Celtics absolutely destroyed the Lakers when we won the championship and now with championship experience, continuous improvement of Rondo and Perk, plus added depth the Lakers really can't compete.

Boston beat LA in 6 games, only one of those games they won by double digits. LA were missing two key starters in that series, I'm amazed at how much whinnying we get from Boston fans about the Garnett injury but yet they completely ignore the fact that LA weren't fully healthy when they lost to Boston. That series could have easily went the distance too; if LA haven't blown that 20 point lead in game 4. That 36 point win in game 6 was vicious, but that was one game. Every other game came right to the wire, maybe some of you need to re-watch that series.

And how does Boston have more depth? Didn't the Lakers have one of the most productive benches in the league last season?


And no one said Artest was our savior, but as talented as Ron is; he's still only our 3rd or possibly 5th best player on the team. That tells you a lot about how talented this Laker team is.

The big factor to me is that not only are the Lakers MUCH more balanced offensively then Boston, they actually have a guy who can guard Pierce now in Artest.

We'll see how things unfold next season. I don't mind you guys being optimistic about your team or believing that Boston is a better team, but don't be hypcorites and call Laker fans stupid for doing the same things you're doing. Which is underestimating the competition.
Story Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #251
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!
 
SourGrapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,154
Default Re: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story Up
Orlando won two very close games by shooting lights out in the 4th quarter. Boston had two massive winning streaks going when they lost both games to LA. That means very little? These are the two teams that played in the NBA finals; and a lot of trash talking was said between both clubs.

I'm positive they both had those two games circled before the season even started. I love how Boston fans love to talk about the Garnett injury, but simply ignore the fact they beat us in the finals without two of our starters from last season.





Boston beat LA in 6 games, only one of those games they won by double digits. LA were missing two key starters in that series, I'm amazed at how much whinnying we get from Boston fans about the Garnett injury but yet they completely ignore the fact that LA weren't fully healthy when they lost to Boston. That series could have easily went the distance too; if LA haven't blown that 20 point lead in game 4. That 36 point win in game 6 was vicious, but that was one game. Every other game came right to the wire, maybe some of you need to re-watch that series.

And how does Boston have more depth? Didn't the Lakers have one of the most productive benches in the league last season?


And no one said Artest was our savior, but as talented as Ron is; he's still only our 3rd or possibly 5th best player on the team. That tells you a lot about how talented this Laker team is.

The big factor to me is that not only are the Lakers MUCH more balanced offensively then Boston, they actually have a guy who can guard Pierce now in Artest.

We'll see how things unfold next season. I don't mind you guys being optimistic about your team or believing that Boston is a better team, but don't be hypcorites and call Laker fans stupid for doing the same things you're doing. Which is underestimating the competition.


i'm really looking forward to la-boston and la-cleveland next year
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #252
Bodhi
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,706
Default Re: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

It's amazing to me how people think that Boston dominated the 2008 finals because game 6 was a blowout. The series went to 6 games and 5 of those games were close.
Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #253
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,792
Default Re: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi
It's amazing to me how people think that Boston dominated the 2008 finals because game 6 was a blowout. The series went to 6 games and 5 of those games were close.

How quickly people forget.
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #254
triangleoffense
Good college starter
 
triangleoffense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,002
Default Re: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

damn right the boston la series was close. LA blew a 22 point lead in one of their home games and if it wasn't for the oscar-worthy performance from PP in game 1 the lakeshow would have won/taken boston to 7. Also, if anyone thinks that Sheed will have a bigger impact in Boston than Artest in LA then they need to seriously take off the homer-googles. Artest and Kobe are friends and Ron ron and the candyman have also been boys since back in the day. Plus the toughness that a 2time DPOY and one of the baddiest 3 guards to ever play the game is inmeasurable. Also artest isn't even 30 yet, Sheed is like 34 or something. Come on :/
triangleoffense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 AM   #255
tamaraw08
National High School Star
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,374
Default Re: Lamar Odom to return to the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangleoffense
damn right the boston la series was close. LA blew a 22 point lead in one of their home games and if it wasn't for the oscar-worthy performance from PP in game 1 the lakeshow would have won/taken boston to 7. Also, if anyone thinks that Sheed will have a bigger impact in Boston than Artest in LA then they need to seriously take off the homer-googles. Artest and Kobe are friends and Ron ron and the candyman have also been boys since back in the day. Plus the toughness that a 2time DPOY and one of the baddiest 3 guards to ever play the game is inmeasurable. Also artest isn't even 30 yet, Sheed is like 34 or something. Come on :/
Good points, but there are other intriguing questions like whether KG would really come out healthy and get back his old playing form, then how much better Bynum will be next season, then if Allen can really shoot consistently, same with PP esp now that Ron Ron will defend him. Then even more questions about how much better the supporting cast will be, Rondo will be there, but then Shannon Brown will have more time to learn the system with a full training camp etc etc.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy