Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > San Antonio Spurs Forum

San Antonio Spurs Forum San Antonio Spurs message board - San Antonio Spurs forum

Old 10-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
GuardTParker9
Can barely lace up my sneakers

GuardTParker9 has an OK reputation so far
Default Oberto starting at center?

Will Oberto start at center in the season ? He started last game vs the Magic. I don't know much about him . .
GuardTParker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
tbiggums

tbiggums has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardTParker9
Will Oberto start at center in the season ? He started last game vs the Magic. I don't know much about him . .

Hell NO! I like him coming off the Bench! I think we would be better off with Jack "The Butler" did it! Starting a center. At least he can develop and learn!
tbiggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:55 AM   #3
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputationSsKSpurs21 has decent reputation
Default .

according to NBA.com and the reports i have heard from pop, Oberto is listed as the starting center come opening day.

jackie butler hasnt impressed me much from what i have seen. true he has potential but he will be where oberto was last year. From what i saw during the france games was that he is still confused on what to do and where to be.

Francisco elson on the other hand was very impressive. he a solid man to man defender and he can rebound the ball. he is good at giving picks and trying to get himself open. the only thing he is weak at is help defense. he is a bit slow off rotations but i think that will come over time.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
gagnants
I brick open layups

gagnants has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
jackie butler... will be where oberto was last year. From what i saw during the france games was that he is still confused on what to do and where to be.
i think this is the biggest reason obetro will start the season @ 5. oberto knows there system & pop is a guy who plays the guys he trusts on the floor no matter what the skill level they possess. he did the same with parker & manu before he started them; pop made sure they were on the same page as he was.
gagnants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
tbiggums

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnants
i think this is the biggest reason obetro will start the season @ 5. oberto knows there system & pop is a guy who plays the guys he trusts on the floor no matter what the skill level they possess. he did the same with parker & manu before he started them; pop made sure they were on the same page as he was.

I understand the experience and trust logic fellas, but when we played athletic teams or teams with big centers last year. I did not think Oberto made much of an impression with me. I just can't see it! If I had to choose..I guess I would go with Elson. By the way...All of the Spurs Help defense was weak last year...That's why we lost...Sacramento and Dallas went right at the heart of that weakness...I was amazed. Since Pop changed the Spurs style of play. I had never seen teams dice up our defense like that. I don't even play and I was embarrassed to watch it
Old 10-18-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
Voratian
Serious playground baller

Voratian has an OK reputation so far

He's a bit undersized to play center, i'm guessing Duncan will essentially be playing that position without actually playing it (if that makes sense)
Voratian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputationSsKSpurs21 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiggums
I guess I would go with Elson. By the way...All of the Spurs Help defense was weak last year...That's why we lost...Sacramento and Dallas went right at the heart of that weakness...I was amazed. Since Pop changed the Spurs style of play. I had never seen teams dice up our defense like that. I don't even play and I was embarrassed to watch it

very true, bonzi killed us because we had no help defense. i think that is why elson will do well. he is very fast and can run the floor really well. his speed will also help him get over on rotations quicker than nazr and rasho.

Elson was having trouble with the help defense, sure, but i dont expect anyone to fully grasp our complex defensive system in a few practices and be able to understand them fully and implement them in the first preseason game. elson will surprise alot of people once he understands the system a little better and gains some confidence.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:32 AM   #8
Naughty_devil

Naughty_devil has an OK reputation so far

What happen to Corry? He used to start and now Oberto took his place.
Naughty_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
tbiggums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
very true, bonzi killed us because we had no help defense. i think that is why elson will do well. he is very fast and can run the floor really well. his speed will also help him get over on rotations quicker than nazr and rasho.

Elson was having trouble with the help defense, sure, but i dont expect anyone to fully grasp our complex defensive system in a few practices and be able to understand them fully and implement them in the first preseason game. elson will surprise alot of people once he understands the system a little better and gains some confidence.

SsKSpurs21,

I hope that we have improved in this area because if we have not we face the same dilema as last year in the playoffs. Tight games with perimeter type teams such as Dallas. I really think Houston will be a player when all is said and done. But if the Spurs can go back to clogging the lanes and limit teams to perimeter shooting..They will bring that championship back to South Texas...Then they can have some motivation to repeat that back to back challenge before they all get too old:)
Old 11-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
tbiggums

[quote=tbiggums]Hell NO! I like him coming off the Bench! I think we would be better off with Jack "The Butler" did it! Starting a center. At least he can develop and learn!:

My esteemed Spurs followers. I must rescend my opinion and earlier sentiments concerning Fabricio. While he is not the craftiest or most athletic. HE IS A SMART TEAM PLAYER. I went to the Phoenix game last night. And with Phoenix playing a 2-1-2 zone cutting off the inside game. He continually found the holes in that defense to score. This would have never happened with Nazi or Rasho. I was wrong with my initial opinion. The three headed monster of Tim, Fabricio, and Francisco might work! They look to be a championship caliber team 5 games into the season. The scary thing is...They are going to get better! Watch out NBA!

Last edited by tbiggums : 11-10-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
MoPet24
I hit open layups

MoPet24 has an OK reputation so far

He was amazing wednesday night
MoPet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #12
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat cool

Oberto should start, he fits into the game play more...

he can go outside and Duncan can take care of the stuff inside... i don't see Jacky Butler coming out very often...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: