Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #31
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

but yes nowadays music does blow.

we had a "modern rock" thread that was lik 350+ posts long.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #32
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

that list is crappy, I mean the ranking of the Beatles albums alone is retarded. No way are both Sgt. Pepper AND Revolver better than Abbey Road. Give me a break.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #33
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

I used to try to play like Oscar in high school. I had a trio and we played all his arrangements. I'll show you a video sometime.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #34
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

wicked, I'd love to see it, I hope you had a good Ed Thigpen fill-in
Old 10-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #35
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Alright this is almost 10 years ago, when I was 17, and an Oscar Peterson wannabe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8otT0r3Zu4
Old 10-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #36
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

60s Beatles
70s Led Zeppelin
80s Queen
90s Radiohead
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #37
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
but yes nowadays music does blow.

Music today doesn't suck. The thing that sucks is Clear Channel, Live Nation, MTV and major labels who by and large don't play or sign many new bands because they make more money playing or recording stuff that is old or that is from old names.

Two of the best albums I've heard all year (I do music reviews and am a music promoter who works with acts from major to B list:) are both The Format and EastonAshe (www.theformat.com, www.eastonashe.net).

Buy those two albums and look at the complete collection from both of those two and you'll see very solid work from lyrics to performance to muscianship (the Format isn't great musically, but EastonAshe is amazing.)

To find music today you need to find an indie label or artist that you like and look for artists he/she likes. For example, I like Jack Johnson and I like almost everything on his Brushfire Records label from Matt Costa to G-Love to ALO.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #38
Mark Cuban
Banned

Mark Cuban has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Alright this is almost 10 years ago, when I was 17, and an Oscar Peterson wannabe:

boring, I only made it through the first 30 seconds
Mark Cuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #39
Mark Cuban
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxSuperStar
Music today doesn't suck. The thing that sucks is Clear Channel, Live Nation, MTV and major labels who by and large don't play or sign many new bands because they make more money playing or recording stuff that is old or that is from old names.

Two of the best albums I've heard all year (I do music reviews and am a music promoter who works with acts from major to B list:) are both The Format and EastonAshe (www.theformat.com, www.eastonashe.net).

Buy those two albums and look at the complete collection from both of those two and you'll see very solid work from lyrics to performance to muscianship (the Format isn't great musically, but EastonAshe is amazing.)

To find music today you need to find an indie label or artist that you like and look for artists he/she likes. For example, I like Jack Johnson and I like almost everything on his Brushfire Records label from Matt Costa to G-Love to ALO.

Music today does suck, and im only 22
Old 10-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #40
mhsbasketball
lol: smh:

mhsbasketball has decent reputation

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
mhsbasketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #41
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cuban
boring, I only made it through the first 30 seconds
Thanks for sharing. I wish I could make the stellar contributions to this board that you are capable of.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #42
Mark Cuban
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I wish I could make the stellar contributions to this board that you are capable of.

No problem
Old 10-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #43
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cuban
Music today does suck, and im only 22

I'm 26, I work in the biz and I routinely see opening acts and unheard of acts blowing away major performers.

If all you do is listen to radio or MTV and go to Best Buy and other major stores who house major labels you will see products that suck, by and large because it is old people putting out new stuff that is ****ty.

You have to pick what genre you like and search. There is always good music out there, it just needs an ear.

And each genre goes through certain stages with ups and downs, just like with the NBA or any other product. Perhaps what you listen to isn't putting out good music, but I truly listen to and see live music 4-6 times per week from jazz to punk and there is good stuff out there.

BTW: My top 3 favorite bands are pre 1975 so I have no bias with new music just because I work in it. Those artists have just established themselves more and were given an open opporunity and still have that opportunity today (I mean how good are some new albums from old people? Not very, but they get the chance cuz they have the name.

Last edited by xxxSuperStar : 10-17-2006 at 06:17 PM.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:19 PM   #44
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Cure
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:26 PM   #45
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Quote:

Well you ain't no Bill Evans, but that was pretty good Adam, I really can see why you said it was an Oscar-immination of sorts. Too bad the quality of the video and audio was poor, I'd have liked to hear the bassist better, it didn't come across very well. Thanks though, I liked it, but leave the ivories to Oscar next time
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: