Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New Orleans Pelicans Forum

New Orleans Pelicans Forum New Orleans Pelicans message board - New Orleans Pelicans Forum

Old 07-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Default Not shopping Chandler?

Bower has recently said that he isn't actively shopping Chandler. I think they've shopped him extensively but teams most likely want to see him post surgery before they'd want to trade for him, which only makes sense in my opinion. It's still early in the summer so anything can still happen. I wouldn't be too surprised though to see Chandler as a Hornet at least until trade deadline.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

Default Re: Not shopping Chandler?

I'm sure teams are a little skeptical but I think the Hornets would love to get rid of his salary. Apparently they are even shopping CP3 now.

Quote:
New Orleans star point guard Chris Paul insisted he was serious when he said there's a chance he soon could be traded. Paul was interviewed Thursday by Pro Basketball News, and asked about his team's financial situation. The Hornets are staring at being well over the luxury tax, and might have to dump some big contracts. "In this league, anything can happen," said Paul, at the summer league to watch his Hornets. "I can be dealt." Paul then was asked that surely he can't be serious he could be traded. "It's possible," he said. "It's possible." -- Pro Basketball News
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Apparently to others they're shopping Paul, but according to them, they aren't.

Quote:
In response Friday, Hornets President Hugh Weber said the possibility of them trading Paul is zero.

"There is no chance of him getting traded,'' Weber said sternly. "I don't know how to say it any stronger, but there is just no deal we would contemplate for Chris. I can't speak for Chris, but I think he was talking about the nature of the business and the fact that the question was asked the way it was.''

Hornets General Manager Jeff Bower said from Las Vegas Friday morning he is investigating many things in regard to free agency and possible trades to improve the roster, but he said trading Paul would not meet any of those objectives.

"I have not nor will I enter any discussions for him,'' Bower said."(Trading Paul) is not going to happen. I think what Chris said just shows his selflessness that he's not different than anyone else on the team.''

http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/200...rd_chri_7.html

This is the first thing that came to my mind as well. There is no where in Paul's quotes where Paul says he WILL be traded. He's basically saying he doesn't think he's above being traded. I would think the majority of the league's players would say the same thing. In interviews Paul never seems to be ABOVE his teammates. He's certainly not going to sit there and say "I'm too big of a player to be traded". He's more humble than that.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

The only way for the Hornets to drop salary is to trade Peja, Chandler, or Paul. Those are the only three with huge contracts. Nobody wants Peja. He is way over paid and still has 2 years left. I think there would be a lot of interest in Chandler if it wasn't for worries about his health. That only leaves one person and that's Paul.

I know what you mean about him trying to be an equal with what he said. Of course I am sure nobody in NO wants to see him go, especially for nothing which is what happens in a trade to drop salary. Still, there is the business side of things where the team has to put themselves in a position to make money too. If they don't have takers for the other two and it's between trading CP3 or lose money I think the people with the financial say would really think about doing it.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Chandler would be the one. Peja has the bigger injury risk so I doubt any team would want to take that risk. And yes, I know there's a business side of things and the Hornets would completely lose their business in New Orleans if they traded Paul. Especially right now. I don't think people here or anywhere outside of New Orleans understand that it's Paul that makes the Hornets their money. He's the one that puts butts in the seats. He's the player whose jersey sits at #3 in sales which also brings the team money. He's the main player that's out there in the community. Right now trading Paul is not an option. The front office just said it in the article I just posted but for some reason people don't want to hear that. They'd rather turn a blind eye to it. I know people would love nothing more than to see him away from New Orleans but it's not happening right now. People seem to have this huge misconception that the Hornets are struggling. If they paid the lux tax this season I'm pretty sure they'd survive. One season of paying the lux tax will not kill the Hornets. The Hornets are NOT in a "dire" situation. I don't quite know where people get this from. They haven't lost money at all. But just because they'd rather avoid paying the lux tax, and shed salary to keep their finances in order, it's assumed that they must be in some kind of trouble. Most teams would rather avoid the lux tax. Why are the Hornets any different? I'm tired telling this same story. Like a guy said on another forum, and I'll quote him...

Quote:
Who has the government issued fax machine that keeps spouting this uninformed party line to the masses? Sheep keep repeating it for some reason?

So no, it's not between "trading Paul or lose money". If they trade Paul, they lose money. I don't understand how in the world people think that trading Paul will help the Hornets save or make money. I just don't understand that. The concensus in New Orleans is that trading Paul would be franchise suicide in New Orleans. Unless Paul demands a trade for whatever reason, he's a Hornet.

Nothing more for me to say on this.

Last edited by Copperhead : 07-17-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree. There are certain players it doesn't matter how much you pay them, they will make you money. Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Paul.... I think he's one of the special players in the league. Nonetheless, anybody can be traded and they could be profitable if they did. I'm sure it's not what a fan of the team wants, and it's really not even what I want because I'm sure he won't end up on my team, but it is an option.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree. There are certain players it doesn't matter how much you pay them, they will make you money. Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Paul.... I think he's one of the special players in the league. Nonetheless, anybody can be traded and they could be profitable if they did. I'm sure it's not what a fan of the team wants, and it's really not even what I want because I'm sure he won't end up on my team, but it is an option.

Yeah, I never said he COULDN'T be traded. Every player CAN be traded. Which is what I believe he was getting at. It's more a matter of if they WILL be traded and right now the Hornets' FO is saying that isn't an option on Paul. People who want him away from New Orleans' only chance is if he somehow becomes disgruntle and requests a trade. Until then though, he's a Hornet.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Copperhead
Local High School Star

From CP's twitter..

Quote:
Jus for the record too...I'M NOT GOIN ANYWHERE!!! No clue what Chris Thomasson was talkin about, but I didn't say any of what he was sayin

Nothing else to really say on this matter now. I'm ready for football season.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
dd24
College superstar

I guess that's that.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Guess Chandler was being shopped after all.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:05 AM   #11
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Yeah, supposedly they weren't 'actively' shopping him but of course if something happen to come along, especially with teams knowing they had tried to trade him in the past, I guess you go for it, especially if it's something you think will help your team. I don't guess I'm too upset with this trade. I just didn't want them to get rid of Chandler for a pack of Ramen noodles.

Last edited by Copperhead : 07-28-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

So what do you guys think about getting Okafor?
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
So what do you guys think about getting Okafor?

I think I feel good about it. Right now at least. He's at least about as equal a defender and rebounder as Chandler. The Hornets' centers are used mostly as defensive anchors and aren't looked to as much for offense. But by Okafor being a better offensive player than Chandler, even if only slightly, can only be a plus for the Hornets.

Here's hoping it works out well.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: