Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-08-2009, 05:23 AM   #16
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

lukeridnour08 has decent reputation
Default Re: Hip hop heads

No offense but the stuff on your myspace is weak as fukc.

Just sounds sound so generic and simple.
Just some constructive criticism.

The stuff on my myspace is on the same level and I don't take it seriously at all I just fukc around on fruity loops
lukeridnour08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

this would've been right up your alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK13G9Evemw
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #18
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The best tool is myspace. Rappers dont lurk msgboard forums for the dope beat. If there are artists you want to hear your material? You can simple find them on myspace (thier official page) and have them check out your work. Then see what they say.

allhiphop.com isnt a bad site to hit up.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #19
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeridnour08
No offense but the stuff on your myspace is weak as fukc.

Just sounds sound so generic and simple.
Just some constructive criticism.

The stuff on my myspace is on the same level and I don't take it seriously at all I just fukc around on fruity loops

No offense taken, but that isn't constructive criticism and most of it isn't simple nor generic.

@ Playtetris, thanks for the suggestion.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #20
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Actually, your "electro1" clip is pretty nice. It's actually really nice. I'm one of the biggest Electro guys on this board [maybe the biggest? idk] and that sounds to me like something a lot of the DJ's I listen to would spin.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #21
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Actually, your "electro1" clip is pretty nice. It's actually really nice. I'm one of the biggest Electro guys on this board [maybe the biggest? idk] and that sounds to me like something a lot of the DJ's I listen to would spin.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I'm really a noob at electronica music. Always been a fan, but just really started to produce it. I have more of it, some good and some bad.

I'm not the best by a large stretch, but I also know that its not bad for a producer that isn't mainly an electronica producer.

Something that people need to keep in mind, is the gamut of genres and styles that I produce. I'm not the best hip hop producer, but I'm good at it. I'm not the Trent Reznor in regards to the Classical music, but I aint too far away from him (see Ghosts as an example), I'm not the best "ambient" producer, but I'm not to shabby, I'm far from the best electronica producer (possibly the most complex if you don't use loops) but considering that most of it isn't loops, I'm not bad.

Again.... these aren't my best, but they aren't my worst beats. Just a small sample of everything in between.

And thanks once again for the comments.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #22
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've been trying to do my own thing with Fruity Loops, but It's really annoying and I'm still trying to figure out how to work with different time signatures than the old 4/4 beat that I'm sick of.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #23
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
I've been trying to do my own thing with Fruity Loops, but It's really annoying and I'm still trying to figure out how to work with different time signatures than the old 4/4 beat that I'm sick of.

Well, its hard to work with anything other than 4/4 because almost all modern music is at that signature. There's slight variations and signature changes from time to time (most notably some of Radiohead's work.... specially Pyramid Song) but only for a few bars. Although I think Radiohead's "15 Steps" is in 5/4 time signature.

As far as Fruity Loops is concerned, I found it limiting to a degree. I couldn't really get use to its interface, it seemed to slow me down, although it provided more options with the additions of VST plugins. But that used so much cpu that it wasn't worth it most of the time. But to be fair, its been years since I used it and I know its been vastly improved. Anyway...... I'll just stick to Reason, I've tried other apps but I always seem to just go back to Reason due to its sound library and user interface.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:08 AM   #24
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

playtetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

options --> project general settiings

fl is aight. nice and simple, easy to use in conjunction w/ midi hardware
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #25
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

thanks! i drummed for a long time and it was really pissing me off only working with 4/4
Old 08-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here

andgar923 , I like the compression and EQ on your beats, what is your process? Any tips?

And I think what the guy was trying to say by generic and simple is that the beats lack this swag that popular songs have. But anyone that says, "you suck, my sh~t is better!" obviously is lame.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #27
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
andgar923 , I like the compression and EQ on your beats, what is your process? Any tips?

And I think what the guy was trying to say by generic and simple is that the beats lack this swag that popular songs have. But anyone that says, "you suck, my sh~t is better!" obviously is lame.

Compression? EQ?

You're asking the wrong cat brotha.

I use no such things.... honestly.

I loathe compression and as far as EQ I don't do to much, if at all.

IMO its all about the source or quality of the samples that you use. I guess the slight mixing that I do try to do is, have frequencies that don't clash. I try to keep the high frequencies at a lower level because they tend to overpower the overall track.

My setup is simple, I use Reason 4 exclusively. I don't rewire it to nothing. If you're familiar with Reason then I keep the Equalizer from the Mastering Suite even. I then add the Maximizer to the main mixer on the first send, I use that to beef up my kicks and bring up any sound. I add a Hall reverb on the second send and a delay on the 3rd, then I just tweak it accordingly.

A small trick that I like to use......

Adding a slight delay to your drums adds a nice swing feel to them, whether it be the hi hats, kicks, or snare. A slight delay adds a light velocity feel to your patterns (I play mine 98% of the time).

The main reason I resented the "generic" and "simple" comment is because they're anything but for the most part.

I can see where that might apply on a few beats, but for the most part they aren't.

I play most of the stuff heard there, and I use many different layers and chord progressions. I will admit my drums might not be the strongest, but I hate creating drum patterns, specially spending 15 minutes going through sounds selecting the correct one.

My hip hop beats tend to have a more ambient sound, which isn't generic. And since I rarely sample, and play most of my music (as opposed to somebody that admits to use FL) I resented that comment, since by default its not as "simple" as clicking on some buttons.

As far as "swag" I don't know what you mean, but I really don't like to model my music to the garbage on the radio. Its too easy and boring, not saying I'm the greatest and you might be correct.... my music might be lacking something, after all..... these are for the most part unfinished un mixed beats without vocals backing them up. But I'm trying different styles and genres and incorporating them with one another. So I can see where that might create a lack of "swag".... I think.

Either way...... that's just a small.. small... small.. sample of what I have. Like I mentioned earlier, not my best stuff, but not my worst stuff.... just something I threw together randomly. And I honestly think that "some" of it is better than most garbage out in the radio.

Peace
Old 08-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #28
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Compression? EQ?

You're asking the wrong cat brotha.

I use no such things.... honestly.

I loathe compression and as far as EQ I don't do to much, if at all.

IMO its all about the source or quality of the samples that you use. I guess the slight mixing that I do try to do is, have frequencies that don't clash. I try to keep the high frequencies at a lower level because they tend to overpower the overall track.

My setup is simple, I use Reason 4 exclusively. I don't rewire it to nothing. If you're familiar with Reason then I keep the Equalizer from the Mastering Suite even. I then add the Maximizer to the main mixer on the first send, I use that to beef up my kicks and bring up any sound. I add a Hall reverb on the second send and a delay on the 3rd, then I just tweak it accordingly.

A small trick that I like to use......

Adding a slight delay to your drums adds a nice swing feel to them, whether it be the hi hats, kicks, or snare. A slight delay adds a light velocity feel to your patterns (I play mine 98% of the time).

The main reason I resented the "generic" and "simple" comment is because they're anything but for the most part.

I can see where that might apply on a few beats, but for the most part they aren't.

I play most of the stuff heard there, and I use many different layers and chord progressions. I will admit my drums might not be the strongest, but I hate creating drum patterns, specially spending 15 minutes going through sounds selecting the correct one.

My hip hop beats tend to have a more ambient sound, which isn't generic. And since I rarely sample, and play most of my music (as opposed to somebody that admits to use FL) I resented that comment, since by default its not as "simple" as clicking on some buttons.

As far as "swag" I don't know what you mean, but I really don't like to model my music to the garbage on the radio. Its too easy and boring, not saying I'm the greatest and you might be correct.... my music might be lacking something, after all..... these are for the most part unfinished un mixed beats without vocals backing them up. But I'm trying different styles and genres and incorporating them with one another. So I can see where that might create a lack of "swag".... I think.

Either way...... that's just a small.. small... small.. sample of what I have. Like I mentioned earlier, not my best stuff, but not my worst stuff.... just something I threw together randomly. And I honestly think that "some" of it is better than most garbage out in the radio.

Peace

Thanks.

I Like the tips on the drums, thats nice. What kind of delay, like an instant one(a few ms)?

As far as the swag goes. The term swag gets thrown around a lot nowadays but I see very few people that truly understand it. Swag has existed for eons and its not really a thing you can quantify but rather something you feel. Its the same as charisma, when you do creative stuff you infuse it with your swag, you put your own personal feel into the creation. Ie... a sick drummer riding a groove with the perfect swing, mozart playin a piano, hendrix on guitar, jordan on the drive etc..... So what I'm saying is, I dont really know what it is, I can just feel it.

I can tell youre musically inclined and I like the ambient feel you got, if you got anymore I'd like to listen to it.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #29
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
Thanks.

I Like the tips on the drums, thats nice. What kind of delay, like an instant one(a few ms)?

As far as the swag goes. The term swag gets thrown around a lot nowadays but I see very few people that truly understand it. Swag has existed for eons and its not really a thing you can quantify but rather something you feel. Its the same as charisma, when you do creative stuff you infuse it with your swag, you put your own personal feel into the creation. Ie... a sick drummer riding a groove with the perfect swing, mozart playin a piano, hendrix on guitar, jordan on the drive etc..... So what I'm saying is, I dont really know what it is, I can just feel it.

I can tell youre musically inclined and I like the ambient feel you got, if you got anymore I'd like to listen to it.

I know what swag is, I just wasn't sure how that applied to the music. My only guess was the drums I guess.

As far as the delay, I don't really have any specific advice, other than whatever feels good to you.

I usually just have it set on the preset delay that comes with Reason, I just add a little bit depending on how much I think its needed, its usually about 4-6 on the knob. It gives it that slight shuffle or groove, so instead of the beat going....

Boom- bap

It goes.....

Boom-boom-boo-bap

Just a slight alteration depending on how you want your groove to go.

And thanks for the comment, here's a perfect example of my ambient style:

untitled 4.mp3 - 3.24MB

Well... maybe not the best example, but its a fusion of hip hop, prog rock-esque synths and ambient pads.

I have tons more that are slightly different, with some having a harder edge to them (this one is very soft and melodic), others have a prog rock feel (I'm a huge Floyd fan) with hard hitting boom bap drums.

And I also have non-drum, more instrumental based music better geared to the ambient crowd with a soundtrack feel to them (at times I do include drums) such as this:

saddrama.mp3 - 1.94MB

peace and enjoy!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: