Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #16
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Default Re: Better Career - Ken Griffey Jr or Barry Bonds?

For me personally Griffey has had the better overall career, his name just isn't like to steroids. Plus look at his numbers and look at the 4 or 5 seasons where he missed near 100 games each of those seasons. He's easily have 3000+ hits, 700+ HR and 2000+ RBIs.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
One Love
Gunsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
For me personally Griffey has had the better overall career, his name just isn't like to steroids. Plus look at his numbers and look at the 4 or 5 seasons where he missed near 100 games each of those seasons. He's easily have 3000+ hits, 700+ HR and 2000+ RBIs.

It's a Damn shame, seeing him miss so many games when he could have been the best ever. I will always love Griffey.
One Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #18
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Love
It's a Damn shame, seeing him miss so many games when he could have been the best ever. I will always love Griffey.

The messed up part about it is, after he signed with Cincy his career was suppose to be lengthen and he was suppose to be healthier because he played in Seattle all those years on hard astroturf, then when Griffey signed they revamped Cinergy Field's astroturf and put grass in the year Griffey came, then he get injured like crazy.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #19
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Posting photos of a young Bonds vs an older Bonds is silly. You actually think its impossible for a human being to add weight and muscle? I mean why are people as I type in Ballys fitness gym pumping iron? Must be roid users right? Why is GNC even in business? Must be selling roids right?

These are professional athletes with access to professional trainers, doctors and they have the financial backing to support a diet. See the avg joe needs to shell out alot of money just for the right foods on a consistent basis to help him get bigger. That is costly, to a multi millionaire? Its not. And they can do you even one better. Hire a personal trainer which Bonds did. I heard his workout program in the offseason is no joke. Gary Sheffield spoke to that.

This idea no athlete can get bigger is hilarious. Kobe Bryant got bigger. Why dont you post his high school, rookie year photos vs the last 3-4 seasons. Kobe even had 1 season where he packed on too much muscle which made him slower. He spoke on it as well as Phil Jackson who said it hurts his defense.

I'm not dispting Bonds didnt cheat. But the whole photo before-photo now is weak, thats a fact.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Griffey arguably has more natural talent than anyone who has ever played the game. His prime years from 93-99 were absolutely spectacular, but more importantly, they occurred during the span of his career when they were SUPPOSED to happen.

Bonds put up absolutely eye popping numbers. Some of his OBP and batting average stats surpass those of Griffey, and those numbers speak more of his batting eye and patience at the plate than his increase in mass and muscle size.

One thing about Bonds that goes unmentioned is that he produced these numbers in parks that were hitter graveyards. There are no "cheapies" at AT&T Park, and places like Dodger Stadium and Petco Park (where he played a lot of road games) were difficult as well. OK, yeah, there is little doubt that he did indeed take PED's, but with that one pitch per game that he got a chance to hit, he still made the most of it. And how many of those guys he was going against were also juicing?

In my estimation. Griffey>>>Bonds as far as natural talent goes, but Bonds>>>Griffey in prime (but BARELY). Bonds may have been on stuff, but the man could flat out rake and there have been MANY men in baseball history who took PED'S and didn't see any results on the playing field.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Love

I hope the "what if" isn't Griffey's lasting legacy.

He still has a career that 99.999999 percent of major leaguers could only dream of.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #22
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
I don't think anyone will ever come close to that.

Just like no one will come close to hitting 73Hrs. I wonder why.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #23
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Griffey = Bonds offensively

Bonds > Griffey base stealing
Griffey > Bonds defense

Griffey was on the most naturally athletic players ever and was a spectacle to watch in center field during his prime.

To me, defense and base stealing are hard to choose from. It's a stale-mate.

Of course, I liked Griffey much more, so I take him instantly over Bonds.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #24
sixerfan82
College star

Why is this a question?

It's Bonds, whether he was juiced or not. The question isn't "who's career is better and more pure?" it was "who had the better career"

Guess what, a lot of things aren't as 'pure' as we might want them to be, but you'll still go buy tickets and cheer when these moments happen. And whether you like it or not, bonds is a product of an era with steroids, and at the end of the day after all the facts you prove, he's STILL the all time HR leader.
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #25
One Love
Gunsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
Why is this a question?

It's Bonds, whether he was juiced or not. The question isn't "who's career is better and more pure?" it was "who had the better career"

Guess what, a lot of things aren't as 'pure' as we might want them to be, but you'll still go buy tickets and cheer when these moments happen. And whether you like it or not, bonds is a product of an era with steroids, and at the end of the day after all the facts you prove, he's STILL the all time HR leader.

I guess I can agree with you here, Everyone including myself were pretty much picking favorites. Really, Bonds did have a better career.
One Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Just like no one will come close to hitting 73Hrs. I wonder why.
73 homers? Maybe. but .609 OBP? Not happening.

Nobody active is in the top 50 all time for a single season. Jason Giambi (he just got released) is next at a distant .4769

With advanced scouting, better pitchers, and supposedly an end to the steroid era, just don't see it happening.

Bonds is 1st, 2nd, 7th and 11th on the list

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...c_season.shtml

From that list, you could see that nobody recent besides Bonds is at the top...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #27
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I'm just saying there is a reason why no one will come close.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #28
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Griffey = Bonds offensively
I don't see how that's true.

Even if you discount Bonds' roid-assisted 2nd prime, he was still clearly a better hitter than Griffey. Bonds' "natural prime" in the early 90's was a better stretch than Griffey ever put up.

Then if you count the roid years, it's not even close. Bonds blows away Griffey.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #29
Looptroop
I airball my layups

Ken Griffey.

Ken Griffey, without steroids, has possibly the sweetest swing in baseball. The pure, flowing motion was emulated by kids EVERYWHERE, to not much success. Yes, Bonds hit more HRs, but jaaaacked on steroids. You can just look at Bonds in his time with the Pirates, and compare it Giants era Bonds and see how much his body changed. I'll give Bonds the edge on stolen bases, obviously. Still, dude didn't bother trying to steal on the same level after 1998.

But, baseball isn't all hitting. Bonds has 8 Gold Gloves, but those are jokes. Griffey has 10. Griffey's athleticism and ability to rob homers was/is so much better than Bonds'. Also, everyone knows Bonds had an Alice Arm. Look no further than his inability to even get close to throwing out Sid Bream in the 92 ALCS.

Ultimately, injuries robbed Griffey of years in his prime. Bonds, the social pariah, basically lucked out and avoided the same type of problems Griffey had.
Looptroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #30
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Bonds and this isn't even close. Most homers in a single season and career, shattered records for walks, intentional walks and OBP. He batted .370 and .362 winning sveeral batting titles, a ton of gold gloves and he's the only member of both the 400/400 club and the 500/500 club for steals and homers, as well as being one of only a few in the 40/40 club for a season.

Remember how good he was in the 2002 playoffs? I don't give a fuck what he was on. His batting eye and hitting ability were other-wordly, not just his power.

And for the moron who said innocent until proven guilty, well Bonds hasn't been proven guilty dipshit, otherwise he'd be in jail right now for perjury. Bonds, dealt with a ridiculous amount of harrassment from fans and he didn't look like a deer in headlights like A-Rod did when facing it.

And how is showing a picture of Bonds in 1986 and then 2006 proof of anything? Do you have any idea how much your body can change in that time.

Look, I know that Bonds most likely used steroids and I know that anyone from that era could have used steroids. The fact is that Bonds career ended up being much greater than Griffey's, part of that was due to injuries for sure, but Bonds was a better hitter and baserunner regardless while Griffey was the better defensive player.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: