Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #136
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter
 
LakersDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,114
LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabCasablancas
Teams with post presences like SHaq and Duncan need preimeter shooters as much as anyone. Without them the post player can't operate. Which is also why Dirk couldn't function in the finals.. because he didn't have good enough shooters to spread the floor.
Since when is Dirk a post presence? Would you rather have Tony Parker shoot jumpers or Jason Terry?
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #137
FabCasablancas
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,803
FabCasablancas has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
That's just Dallas choking as a team when the spotlight and pressure was on them, they were an elite shooting team during the regular season, how do you explain that?


Because the Mavs had the MVP.

But in the playoffs the MVP isn't enough and your weaknesses become more exposed. Also.. in the regular season Avery let Dirk and Jet shoot from the perimeter. Look how few threes Avery let Dirk take in the post season.
FabCasablancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #138
H20
I airball my layups
 
H20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19
H20 has no real reputation yet.
Default

Honestly there are to many to choose from.
H20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:40 PM   #139
FabCasablancas
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,803
FabCasablancas has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
Since when is Dirk a post presence? Would you rather have Tony Parker shoot jumpers or Jason Terry?

You are comparing Parker to the only decent shooter on the Mavs.. Dirk IS a tremendous post presence when a smaller player is guarding him. But neither the Mavs nor the Spurs won the championship because they didn't have good enough shooters playing around their stars. Avery doesn't even know how to use the shooters he has though.
FabCasablancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:40 PM   #140
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter
 
LakersDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,114
LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabCasablancas
Because the Mavs had the MVP.

Ok........:rollingeyes:
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #141
Nowitzki41MFFL
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
Ok........:rollingeyes:

The real MVP
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #142
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter
 
LakersDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,114
LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabCasablancas
You are comparing Parker to the only decent shooter on the Mavs.. Dirk IS a tremendous post presence when a smaller player is guarding him. But neither the Mavs nor the Spurs won the championship because they didn't have good enough shooters playing around their stars. Avery doesn't even know how to use the shooters he has though.
Duncan was able to win 3 chips with shooters around him, Ginobili and Bowen have been around for 2 chips, but now they are not good enough all of a sudden?

Let's look at the facts: Strengths: Dirk is a great player, top 5, an elite shooter from all over the floor, an above average rebounder, creates mismatches against every team and is an overall nightmare to defend.

Weaknesses: Doesn't take it to the rim often enough (has improved though) has no post presence on both ends of the floor, plays sub-par D, and rarely posts up against smaller players. Remember when Nash was guarding Dirk in the Phoenix series? He was shooting jumpers over Nash instead of taking it to the hoop or posting him up.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #143
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter
 
LakersDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,114
LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki41MFFL
Need mental help for my Mavs persecution complex

Aight.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #144
FabCasablancas
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,803
FabCasablancas has decent reputation
Default

Duncan was able to win 3 chips with shooters around him, Ginobili and Bowen have been around for 2 chips, but now they are not good enough all of a sudden?

That's exactly right.. they were barely good enough before.. and NOT good enough this time. And neither were the Mavs. Horry is a big reason for that. He is a good shooter when he is motivated. Last season he wasn't.

Weaknesses: Doesn't take it to the rim often enough (has improved though) has no post presence on both ends of the floor, plays sub-par D, and rarely posts up against smaller players.

He doesn't post up "enough" because he doesn't have good enough shooters. Dirk had a playoff game with 9 assists passing out of the post when the Mavs DID have good shooters in 2002-2003.. Raef, Van Exel, Nash, Walt Willaims, and Finley. Now THAT"s a good shooting team.

Remember when Nash was guarding Dirk in the Phoenix series? He was shooting jumpers over Nash instead of taking it to the hoop or posting him up.

That's because Dikr doesn't have enough shooters to keep opposing defenses hnoest when he posts up.. he is a sitting duck on the post. So he has to do what he can without palying into the hands of the opposing defense.. which basically means to keep moving and not let himself be pinned down. If he had shooters he wouldn't have that problem.
FabCasablancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #145
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter
 
LakersDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,114
LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabCasablancas
He doesn't post up "enough" because he doesn't have good enough shooters. Dirk had a playoff game with 9 assists passing out of the post when the Mavs DID have good shooters in 2002-2003.. Raef, Van Exel, Nash, Walt Willaims, and Finley. Now THAT"s a good shooting team.
So Dirk is a great post up player and had all those great shooters around him and yet he wasn't able to even get to the Finals? Hmmm....what went wrong there?
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #146
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 20,392
Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

This is the worst kind of regular thread on ISH.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #147
Nowitzki41MFFL
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
This is the worst kind of regular thread on ISH.

I nominate you for worst poster
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #148
Block_Party
I brick open layups
 
Block_Party's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 27
Block_Party has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
So Dirk is a great post up player and had all those great shooters around him and yet he wasn't able to even get to the Finals? Hmmm....what went wrong there?
You're right.

Wait, you're wrong. They got to the Finals.

If only they would have had Kwame!
Block_Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #149
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter
 
LakersDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,114
LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabCasablancas
Duncan was able to win 3 chips with shooters around him, Ginobili and Bowen have been around for 2 chips, but now they are not good enough all of a sudden?


That's because Dikr doesn't have enough shooters to keep opposing defenses hnoest when he posts up.. he is a sitting duck on the post. So he has to do what he can without palying into the hands of the opposing defense.. which basically means to keep moving and not let himself be pinned down. If he had shooters he wouldn't have that problem.
Again, I don't know where you're getting this from, Terry is top 5 among PGs shooting wise, it's what makes him so dangerous and good. Josh Howard isn't a great shooter, but certainly above average, 41% from three, even if they are all wide open isn't so bad, is it? Stackhouse is a streaky shooter but can still go for 25+ points shooting jumpers on some nights. There isn't even a handful of teams in the league that have better shooters than Dallas, the only obvious one is Phoenix.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:02 PM   #150
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter
 
LakersDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,114
LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block_Party
You're right.

Wait, you're wrong. They got to the Finals.

If only they would have had Kwame!
I was talking about the 2002-2003 season, not this year.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy