Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
2minutedrill32
I airball my layups

2minutedrill32 has an OK reputation so far
Default Need help with installing second hard drive

I just put a second hard drive in my desktop, but I can't seem to access any of the information that is stored on it??? How do I do this??? Only the original hard drives material shows up as of now. Thanks in advance.
2minutedrill32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

i presume you've clicked on my computer and there isnt anything there under hard disk drives, theres obviously local disk (c:), on mine i got the F: drive next to it, my exteranl hardrive
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Does it have any files on it to begin with? Does the BIOS recognize the hard drive?

If it's not being recognized by the BIOS then you may need to adjust the jumpers on the hard drives. You can't have two slave drives or two master drives. (I tend to stick with 'Cable Select', unless I have to use a Master/Slave jumper setup).

However, if that's set up and THERE ARE NO FILES on the drive, then you need to format the drive in Windows.

(I wouldn't recommend formatting unless you're 1) sure you selected the right drive 2) sure it doesn't have any files on it and umm.. 3) sure you know what you're doing.)
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
2minutedrill32
I airball my layups

It's a 40gb internal hard drive...my desktops power source got knocked out so I wanted to install it as a second drive in my other desktop...it has all my college papers and nearly 5,000 songs on it...I called Dell and they guided me through actually hooking it up and my primary drive works fine, but I can't find where I can locate material from that second drive...
Old 10-18-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Does your BIOS recognize the drive? Also, which operating system was the drive being used with before?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
IamtheWalrus
Banned

IamtheWalrus has no real reputation yet.

its obviously the slave and primary jumpers...fix it..play around with it
IamtheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #7
2minutedrill32
I airball my layups

It was running under Windows XP...this one is Windows ME...

How do I know if BIOS recognizes it? Under Setup there is primary and secondary drives info...

For the wide gray strip, the end is plugged into the second hard drive and the plug before the end (before the slices) is plugged into the primary or original drive...no other cables are attached to the second drive other than that wide gray one...
Old 10-19-2006, 01:12 AM   #8
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Windows XP will only format a drive to NTFS format. So, most likely, your drive is NTFS. I do not know if Windows ME will read an NTFS format drive.

Also, um.. there's no other cords? There should be a multi-wired/multi-colored cord that plugs into the back of the hard drive. It's an IDE power connector.

If you're still having trouble, contact me via AIM and I can probably help you out.

Last edited by reppy : 10-19-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:34 AM   #9
eboloid
Flash Gordo

eboloid has an OK reputation so far

Win ME doesn't have NTFS support, so that's probably your problem there.

http://www.diskinternals.com/products/ntfs-reader/ should help you out in getting the data off, not that I've ever tried it.

Or, just install XP or W2k, that's what I would recommend.
eboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: