Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #16
CantStop
Banned

CantStop has decent reputation
Default Re: skipping highschool to go pro overseas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
lmao god forbid this guy leaves high school early and decides to pursue his professional career! damn these annoying kids on ish these days are too ****ing... annoying.

school is not everything. you dont need school to be successful.

great decision, and i hope he succeeds and that we see many more american players skipping senior years and college to play overseas.

Repped.
CantStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:18 AM   #17
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Dude should finish his highschool career before he goes to another country to play ball.

I mean, I can understand if you love ball SO MUCH that you leave Highschool in order to go play.. But is that the reason why he's doing it ? or is it for the money?

Even if he did leave for the love of the game, bro, cant you just wait 1 more year?

Graduate Highschool, Learn your basics of life, be around your group of ppl and age with them.

Idk.. I wouldnt of done it..
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:37 AM   #18
Hammertime
Our Enes is bigger

Hammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi
I mean look at how much Jennings lost because his draft position fell when he went to Europe and didn't do very well. I doubt he gained any useful experience because he spent the entire time there on the bench adjusting to to different rules and playstyle. If he had just gone to college for one year and played great, he could have easily gone top 4 in this years draft. He would have ended up making more money and would have picked up useful skills in college.

Have you seen Jennings play this summer? Jennings sometimes looked like a man among boys out there. You could see the pro experience oozing through his game.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #19
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Most people call it stupid, dumb, retarded or whatever, but i think it's the right move for him. He's NBA bound and why waste your time in school when you can go to the pro's right away? Next year he'll be playing against far inferior competition whereas overseas they're clearly better than high school competition.

And he'll also be taking online classes so he's still getting his ejumacation.
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #20
monkeypox
National High School Star

monkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this board

I don't see a problem with it. No one really freaks out about child actors pulling the same thing even though there are countless examples against it and regardless of how seedy their industry can be. at 17 it's up to his parents to decide if it's the right decision for him and when he's 18 it's up to him what to do. If he doesn't find it beneficial to his carreer to be used to make money for the NCAA, then so be it. Good luck to him.

It didn't seem to be a detriment to Tony Parker or Ricky Rubio to turn pro at a young age overseas. Hockey players go to travelling hockey leagues starting from primary school I hear, and that's much rougher sport than B-ball is. School is not for everyone, and it's not like star atheletes are actually forced to do much learning while there anyways.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #21
Bodhi
Local High School Star

Bodhi has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime
Have you seen Jennings play this summer? Jennings sometimes looked like a man among boys out there. You could see the pro experience oozing through his game.

I completely agree that Jennings is NBA ready and he'll be great, but I don't think that was because of playing in Europe. He had a lot of trouble adjusting to FIBA rules and barely got any playing time. Because of that, his draft position dropped to 10 whereas if he had stayed in the US for 1 year of college, he would have been the first point guard drafted. He was the top high school prospect afterall.

I don't know the numbers, but I really don't think he came out ahead money wise when you consider the rookie contract is better the earlier you are drafted.
Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #22
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

I don't think he's looking at what's after ball.

I think it's something most would-be players need to understand, that there's a life after ball.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #23
WhySoInsecure?
ILL WILL RUNS NYC

WhySoInsecure? is considered somewhat coolWhySoInsecure? is considered somewhat cool

From a basketball standpoint i think it's a great move. He'll get to play against legit competition and won't have to deal with AAU coaches and all that other trash. He'll be around grown men and he will be expected to act like one. He should be NBA ready in 2 years, it would take him around 3-4 years if he stayed in the states.
WhySoInsecure? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #24
quasimoto
Banned

quasimoto is a pretty well-respected posterquasimoto is a pretty well-respected posterquasimoto is a pretty well-respected posterquasimoto is a pretty well-respected poster

You shouldn't just drop out of high school, it's one of the most important stages in your life. Hope he won't regret his decision.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #25
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
There are multiple reports about why he's leaving. Supposedly there is some smoke around his coaches and recruiting. One rumor was that he threatened the coaching staff to get some talent around him (the next tallest guy on the team is like 6'2") or he was going to leave, others say he was getting gifts..overall not a good story around this kid. Leaving to Europe seemed to have quell any and all rumors going on.

As for Jeremy, good luck. I think it was Thorpe who said that he had a friend at the school that said he wasn't serious about school anyway.

He's not the only one either for this year. Latavious Williams is going to play in China and he's an '09 grad.

I guess that explains his 3.5 GPA...he just didnt care?

Depending on the person GREAT MOVE...high school is just a waste of time if your are of any inteligence. Spend that time and do something worthwhile and see the world and some other cultures
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #26
twolvesfan
Banned

twolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputation

Quote:
lmao god forbid this guy leaves high school early and decides to pursue his professional career! damn these annoying kids on ish these days are too ****ing... annoying.

great decision, and i hope he succeeds and that we see many more american players skipping senior years and college to play overseas.
ya it is a great idea. The NBA needs even more dumbasses in the league
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #27
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolvesfan
ya it is a great idea. The NBA needs even more dumbasses in the league

yeah going to college makes you smart? what a retarded proposition...finishing a meaningless year of high school means something?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #28
twolvesfan
Banned

twolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
yeah going to college makes you smart? what a retarded proposition...finishing a meaningless year of high school means something?
yes it does

edit: guess i should be more specific, going to college will make you smarter
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #29
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

this right here.

if you've got the talent and physical attributes to get paid handsomely in athletics you take that offer while it's hot. you don't risk injury because you wanted to take the minimal classes left your senior year in high school. i had so few credits left by that time i only went half days the whole year and my friends that had to stay were teacher's assistants for several hours a day...

it's an easy process for someone like this to finalize their HS diploma too.

him and his parents have made the best decision for furthering his basketball career. the level of competition and coaching will better prepare him than a year of HS could. Where he takes it from here is what matters, but he's doing the right things to be as successful as possible imho.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #30
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolvesfan
yes it does

edit: guess i should be more specific, going to college will make you smarter

you dont get any smarter in college...you usually learn a bunch of trivial knowledge unless you are in a certain few majors. The notion that college is some necessary part of a persons life is a joke.

he can always go back to college(if need be)...he has a decent GPA and will have awesome life experience after this...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: