Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 10-20-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
Targus™
Good college starter

i liked him but raja bell is starting to annoy me with all his dirty play, that was totally unnecessary. the guy just needs to calm down
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #17
Kemosabe
High School Varsity 6th Man

Sometimes Raja Bell gets a little extra competitive and he precipitates himself a bit, however i think he´s almost every time a fair player.
Kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:23 PM   #18
ZonaFlash
I airball my layups

Bell (honorable mention) and KT (4th or 8th) were once rated among the league's top 15 dirtiest players in an SI poll of actual NBA players.

For some reason, there was high correlation between defensive players and dirtiness. If the league permits it, then I accept it and won't cry when Kwame puts his crotch in Boris' face, or when "Stacklehouse" cracks JJ's face and tries to repeat the feat the next year.

As one noted athlete once said, "Hey, if you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying to win."

Therefore, I applaud the Suns dirty players. May we have a few more helpings of "defense," please?

Of course, perhaps my view is obvious from my avatar. If you saw that, give yourself a gold star, a pat on the back and tell your gf to give one from me!

Respectfully,
-ZonaF. =)
ZonaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:00 AM   #19
nash4eva!gosuns
Back!

well i think it is possible to play defense without being overly aggressive but i think what raja tries to do is something to get his team fired up...something to give the suns that spark they need to keep playing with energy...

not a good way to start it but it just happens that he's a really temperamental guy...i mean that look he has it's just pure evil...when he's had enough i guess you can expect some streetball attitude from him cuz that's the way he copes...

it's a shame though...he should really kinda get that under control...he could kick anyone's ass with his game, i highly doubt he has to do it with his body...
nash4eva!gosuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:01 AM   #20
ZonaFlash
I airball my layups

I should start the thread entitled, "Why are suns fans so good-natured, happy and nice all the time??"
Old 10-21-2006, 03:13 AM   #21
ZonaFlash
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash4eva!gosuns
well i think it is possible to play defense without being overly aggressive

Possible, but perhaps unlikely. Bowen is synonymous with both dirt and defense, and he played that card all the way to the Olympic team (as a scrub of course).

Anyway, you are right that someone should pull Bell aside and say what black jesus said to me: "Dude, it's the PRESEASON" - cool it a little!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 03:16 AM   #22
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Bowen is a little different in my view. His is a pretty dirty player at times. To me it seems like the intent to injure is on his mind with some of his antics.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:23 AM   #23
ZonaFlash
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
Bowen is a little different in my view. His is a pretty dirty player at times. To me it seems like the intent to injure is on his mind with some of his antics.

Oh, I agree 100%. He's maliciously dirty. But, while I don't agree with him and don't want that kind of dirt, or Stacklehouse dirt on my team, look at how the league let's him get away with it.

If your team isn't winning and it looks like your defense is pourous, perhaps its because you are playing clean and the other team is allowed to play dirty. That don't sound fair to me.

I'd be all for tighter clamps on dirt, with lots more flagrants called. I'm tired of seeing suns players wiped across the deck, so I have some pleasure in suns players dishing it back out.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #24
nash4eva!gosuns
Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaFlash

I'd be all for tighter clamps on dirt, with lots more flagrants called. I'm tired of seeing suns players wiped across the deck, so I have some pleasure in suns players dishing it back out.

co signed

it's true i mean the laker series was kinda filled with would-be-flagrants...but only one got called...and that one was rajas...

like nashie argued when he said "so it's okay for kwame to do it and then stick his crotch in their face, but not for raja to do it just because we're in LA...?"

is that?
nash4eva!gosuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:34 PM   #25
wally_world
M0derator

stats anyone??? not Amare...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:18 AM   #26
ZonaFlash
I airball my layups

The SI poll!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../07/poll.0207/

Charley Rosen on thugs in the middle:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5...0813162&ATT=73
Old 10-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #27
wally_world
M0derator

haha... Fortson... and WTF... Nocioni???!!! can't tell... never really seen him play... looks decent to me...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #28
ZonaFlash
I airball my layups

I'm really proud we have 2 of them. Too bad BOTH were injured in the series against Dallas. I never thought about it, but that was 3 of 5 starters out.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #29
ZonaFlash
I airball my layups

From Marty Burns SI on the recent Bell Incident -- mad respect from Artest

Ringing the Bell

Say this much for Suns guard Raja Bell -- he's not afraid to pick on someone his own size. The 6-5 Suns guard earned a flagrant foul for body slamming 7-foot Kings center Brad Miller from behind during an exhibition last week. Miller jumped up, ready to go at Bell, but was restrained.

Not surprisingly, the incident left Ron Artest in Tru Warrior mode after the game. "[Bell is] a good defender, a good player," Artest told the Sacramento Bee. "But he does that dirty stuff sometimes. When he does stuff like that, I want to fight him. I can't do that, of course, but it makes me want to meet him off the floor for a nice little fight."

Bell, who declined to respond to Artest's comments, has been known to stir the pot. Against the Lakers in last year's playoffs, he clotheslined Kobe Bryant and threw him to the floor. Bell was suspended for the next game, but it seemed to spark the Suns to three straight wins as they overcame a 3-1 deficit. It also led to one of the best lines of the year.

After Bryant took a verbal shot at Bell by surmising that the Suns guard needed attention because his mother didn't hug him enough as a kid, Bell's mother spotted Bryant in the arena hallway after the Lakers lost by 31 in Game 7 and said to the Lakers star: "Need a hug, Kobe?"

For the record, Artest and Bell will get a chance to go mano a mano when the Kings and Suns meet for the first time in the regular season on Dec. 5 at Phoenix.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #30
ZonaFlash
I airball my layups

This is interesting:

We know Artest is no saint, but the poll also gives an honorable mention to Brad Miller as a dirty player.

"Despite playing in just 23 games (injury, and a strained relationship with coach Bob Hill) Fortson leads the NBA with three ejections; he has seven technicals.... Artest and Brad Miller as well as Phoenix's Raja Bell and Kurt Thomas were the other pairs of teammates who each got at least three votes.... Last year Artest outpolled Fortson 33% to 22%.... Bowen has made five NBA All-Defensive teams."

Therefore, a little banging between several dirty players is like two ships passing in the night - sort of.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: