Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Default Following Raymond Felton's negotiations

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/bob...ry/834891.html

Agent: Felton meeting with Charlotte Bobcats didn't go well
By Rick Bonnell
rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Wednesday, Jul. 15, 2009
Charlotte Bobcats point guard Raymond Felton, an impending restricted free agent, has said he wants to stay with the Bobcats and he loves playing for coach Larry Brown.
So much for positive vibes.

Following a meeting in Las Vegas Tuesday night with Charlotte Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins, point guard Raymond Felton’s agent says the two sides are "pretty far apart" on a long-term contract.

Agent Kevin Bradbury was hopeful Tuesday’s meeting might get the two sides to an agreement. While Felton’s first choice is still to remain a Bobcat, Bradbury will explore other options. Those could include Felton drawing an offer sheet from another team or signing a $5.5 million qualifying offer that would make him an unrestricted free agent next summer.

"Nothing drastic," Bradbury said, when asked how he’d react. "But in the meantime, we’ll be reviewing our options. That’s not something I thought we’d have to do, up until this meeting. What we’re working toward is securing Raymond’s future for up to the next six years."

Higgins could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday afternoon. Bradbury said Higgins is in Las Vegas through Friday but there are so far no plans for another meeting this week.

Last edited by insidehoops : 08-14-2009 at 09:36 PM.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Default Re: Following Raymond Felton's negotiations

I hope Felton's agent doesn't pull what Okafor's agent did and end up turning us all against him too. Bradbury needs to realize we may not have the money right now to pay for a long term deal, especially if they're asking for 8-9 million for six years. That's talking 50 million. Don't we have Wallace and Okafor locked up for that?
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

I'm not sure that I want to see us locked in to a 6-year contract with Felton or anyone. He's not the be-all-and-end-all of PGs. As long as we have him signed for this upcoming season, that's what I really care about. We have young and younger guys who need to develop and we will have expiring contracts at the end of next season. Let's keep some financial flexibility. Of course on the flip side, if we do sign Felts to six years and he plays well then we can use him as trade-bait if someone better appears on the horizon in time.

thoughts, guys................
Old 07-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

I'd rather see Felton make a check mark on his qualifying offer.
There is absolutely no other team willing or have the cap space to offer Felton anything above $6 million (approx. mid-level).
Keep Felton for another year and see if Augustin can explode next year, replacing Felton.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Obviously we dont know how much per year Felton wants but there is no reason not to give him 6 years. It's not like he's 30-32 and will start to decline in 2 or 3 years. A good PG will always have value so we can always trade him if DJ explodes but I don't see keeping both of them being too expensive (no more than keeping 1 superstar PG).

Fact of the matter is that we will be super screwed if we don't sign Raymond; unless we go after AI.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbasesalt
Keep Felton for another year and see if Augustin can explode next year, replacing Felton.

I don't see that happening.

How many decent point guards can you name that make less than 8 million? Even guys like Fisher, Udrih, Watson & Tinsley get paid in the 5-7 million range, so what do you expect?
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Our FO seems stupid enough to give it to him. We gave comparable money to Wallace and Okafor and a lot of people said they really didn't deserve it (although we can make a better argument for Wallace deserving it than Okafor).
Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #8
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Last year was the summer of Mek, this year Raymond.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Last year was the summer of Mek, this year Raymond.

Funny I was just thinking the same thing. It also seems that each year we all get really frustrated because we don't seem to be in on any big deals, none of the big names want to come here, we don't hear anything substantial, etc., etc. I never know from year-to-year whether to
: or boo-hoo.

Post-season for us is maybe best used as a time to practice our deep-breathing.

:
Old 07-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

I don't like the 6 year thing but it seems both sides are leaning that way. Maybe they meet in the middle; management with a little more money than they're initially offering (which is probably pretty low) with a 3 year contract instead with the 3rd year being a player option sort of like what we did with Crash.

Letting him play on his QO would be disastrous IMO. We don't have the cap next year to get a decent replacement and if Felton gets better with another year under LB then his price will get even higher.

I still think a deal gets done. There's plenty of time.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Felton's agent: Game's not over with Bobcats

Quote:
We can clear up something that maybe was misconstrued last week. In a conference call about the Tyson Chandler-Emeka Okafor trade, Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins said that talks between the team and restricted free-agent point guard Raymond Felton were "stalemated." But he also noted that the process wasn't over and that the two sides would continue to negotiate.

"It's not really a stalemate, and I think in every story I've seen, writers have been calling it a stalemate," Felton's agent, Kevin Bradbury, told Sporting News. "That's not really what Rod was saying. I am not a chess champion here, but I know a stalemate ends the game. The game's not over. We don't have concrete plans to meet with the Bobcats right now, but there's time. We're not giving up. Neither are they. If it winds up that Raymond has to play out his last year and become unrestricted next year, that's OK. But that's the last option and we're still far from that.

Don't accuse the Bobcats, by the way, of staying silent on the free-agent front. They pursued Warrick pretty hard. Ultimately, Warrick wanted the best chance to get playing time, and that was in Milwaukee.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Well, at least we tried to get Warrick. That would've been pretty cool.

I fear that these negotiations are going to go like Okafor's did last year. It's apparent that Felton and his agent don't really want the QO, and if that happens, the negotiations next year are going to be hell.

Okafor's FA negotiations last year were the reasons I didn't like him anymore. I don't want it to be that way with Felton, but it looks like it may become that way.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

According to Hoops World his asking price is 6.5 million.

I think a deal gets done...and most likely at a good price for the Bobcats.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
According to Hoops World his asking price is 6.5 million.

I think a deal gets done...and most likely at a good price for the Bobcats.

I certainly hope so. I think after another year under LB Felton/DJ will be one of the best tandem PGs in the league.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
obonpaxis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I certainly hope so. I think after another year under LB Felton/DJ will be one of the best tandem PGs in the league.

Only in rare cases (Steve Nash) do point guards blossom more than 2-3 years into their careers. Look at Felton's contemporaries from that draft (CP3, Deron). Those guys have arrived and neither has much "upside". Felton is probably as good as he'll ever be.

Even taking AI out of the equation, Felton spent a whole season under the best point guard's coach in the league, and he still isn't much of a pure point guard OR a shooter.

I like his attitude and he's a determined guy, but I guess I just don't see why we should pay too much for his services when DJ is waiting in the wings.

Honestly, I'd rather sign Iverson to a short-term deal if possible.
obonpaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: