Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-21-2009, 03:47 AM   #16
gyu
Good college starter

gyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Pops Mensah-Bonsu to Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden695
Max contract I assume?

All lame jokes aside, he is a great energy play like others have said and really good team/glue player. Definately a fan favourite. His nickname is Stub, because his favourite player is KG (the Big Ticket). If thats not enough reason to love him I don;t know what is.
Could you explain the nickname thing? I don't get it.
gyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #17
hayden695
NBA lottery pick

hayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyu
Could you explain the nickname thing? I don't get it.
You know how when you get a ticket to a concert or sporting event they give you a "stub" after they rip off the part that gets you in. Well in Pops eyes KG was "the big ticket"(his nickname) and Pops was the stub to his ticket. Hope i explained it well enough.
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #18
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

ukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Always seems like some of my favourite role players end up in Houston!

Gerald Green (that didn't work out), Von Wafer (that DID work out) and now Pops is here! I hope Houston can become more of a permanent fixture for him. I really thought Toronto would have wanted to at least keep him on their radar, but I'm really glad he is a Rocket!
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:54 AM   #19
gyu
Good college starter

gyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden695
You know how when you get a ticket to a concert or sporting event they give you a "stub" after they rip off the part that gets you in. Well in Pops eyes KG was "the big ticket"(his nickname) and Pops was the stub to his ticket. Hope i explained it well enough.
Oh, thanks. I didn't know what stub was
gyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:55 AM   #20
hayden695
NBA lottery pick

hayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyu
Oh, thanks. I didn't know what stub was
No problem
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #21
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think this guy has a lot of upside.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:22 AM   #22
lukekarts
Local High School Star

lukekarts has an OK reputation so far

He's the third best player in the NBA behind Dwayne Wade and Luol Deng.

(I might be slightly biased being English)

On a serious note, he's a good player, athletic, fun to watch, a hard worker. I've heard him interviewed and he comes across really well, says he doesn't take being in the NBA for granted and that he works his ass of just to be there. He'll undoubtedly just be happy to have a contract, but in the right system he could be a really useful asset to Houston.
lukekarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #23
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukekarts
He's the third best player in the NBA behind Dwayne Wade and Luol Deng.

(I might be slightly biased being English)

On a serious note, he's a good player, athletic, fun to watch, a hard worker. I've heard him interviewed and he comes across really well, says he doesn't take being in the NBA for granted and that he works his ass of just to be there. He'll undoubtedly just be happy to have a contract, but in the right system he could be a really useful asset to Houston.

Same here, I'm always amzed when he doesn't pick up a contract. He's not a go to guy however his energy and enthutiasm make up for it. He is also a freakish athlete who can throw down monsters dunks which is always good.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #24
Silverbullit
Good college starter

Silverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected poster

He is a foul-prone hustle guy, good enough to play 10-12 minutes every night.
Silverbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #25
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

Awww, well we weren't going to keep him now that we got Amir Johnson. Pops was fun stuff late last season, definitely a high energy player off the bench.

Probably only about 6'8 with shoes on, basically good for nothing but hustle plays and athletic dunks, low skill-level and basketball IQ. But damn is he fun. I remember he straight up dominated a few games, just posterizing people. He is not starting calibre, and he is really too short and skinny to play much center.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #26
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

HylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Wiki has him listed at 6'10
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #27
TheGame
Serious playground baller

TheGame has an OK reputation so far

He's a great enery and hustle guy and I will miss him on the Raps. He plays quality backup PF but he hasn't quite been able to transition into an SF/C.
TheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #28
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
Wiki has him listed at 6'10
He isn't, trust me. He's at least 3 inches shorter than Chris Bosh, who is 6'11. Pops is probably about 6'7 w/o shoes at best.

But you have to realize how exaggerated heights are throughout the NBA and basketball in general. I mean , Michael Beasley was listed at 6'10 coming out of college, and he measured in at 6'7 w/o shoes. Your own Joey Dorsey was listed at 6'9, when really he is about 6'6.5 w'o shoes.

Height isn't all that important anyways. I mean yes it is, but it's more important that you can ball. I mean just look at Jason Collins to see why being tall does not make you a basketball player.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #29
sipitri
Chuckwagoner

sipitri has decent reputationsipitri has decent reputation

Good hustle player, his game is nice to watch because he put his heart on the floor. He can be a good bench player but he's a 4, he hasn't the size to guard centers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukballer
Always seems like some of my favourite role players end up in Houston!

Gerald Green (that didn't work out), Von Wafer (that DID work out) and now Pops is here! I hope Houston can become more of a permanent fixture for him. I really thought Toronto would have wanted to at least keep him on their radar, but I'm really glad he is a Rocket!
Toronto gave him up because they already signed Evans for that role and signing Evans was the easiest way to give Krapono away.

Last edited by sipitri : 08-21-2009 at 04:43 PM.
sipitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #30
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

looks like houston found their Yao replacement
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: