Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Default David Lee???

David Lee???
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Default Re: David Lee???

Likely forced into a qualifying 1yr offer...
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
bagelred
My team always wins

For some strange reason, Knicks are going to give Lee a one year offer ABOVE the QO. Why? No idea. Basically, gives Lee a "Get Out of MSG Jail Free" card. I don't get it.

bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Seriously? He has an offer? Because I haven't heard anything, it's like the NBA forgot about the guy. I know he was asking for way too much, but you'd think somebody would have signed him by now. He really is the kind of guy who could really help a good team as the first big off the bench.

And what's the deal with Nate Robinson too? Like Lee, not worth a big contract or a starting role, but could provide nice scoring as a "PG" off the bench.

I don't quite understand why the Knicks would let two assets, basically the best players on their talent-deficient, over-payed roster, just slip away for nothing. Lebron or whoever else isn't going to want to sign if there is NOTHING on the Knicks team.

And I also don't understand why no other teams want either of these players, assuming they aren't still demanding ridiculous $10,000,000+per contracts.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
For some strange reason, Knicks are going to give Lee a one year offer ABOVE the QO. Why? No idea. Basically, gives Lee a "Get Out of MSG Jail Free" card. I don't get it.

If they give him an offer above the QO, they are allowed to trade him. IF not, he has to agree to the trade before hand.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
bagelred
My team always wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
If they give him an offer above the QO, they are allowed to trade him. IF not, he has to agree to the trade before hand.

Wait....if a guy is playing on a QO, he can't be traded the whole season? Unless Lee says ok? That doesn't sound right.....

Actually, just read that it seems it's ANY one year contract where player has Bird rights after year is over. Lee has to give permission either way.

Last edited by bagelred : 08-21-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
Likely forced into a qualifying 1yr offer...

Kind of this year's Ben Gordon. He got good offers, but he asked for too much, so he is getting no other offers.

But it worked out for Gordon. Last year he got 50 million for 5 years, turned it down and he will end up getting 6 years for about 61 million.

May or may not work for Lee.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Quote:
Wait....if a guy is playing on a QO, he can't be traded the whole season? Unless Lee says ok? That doesn't sound right.....

Actually, just read that it seems it's ANY one year contract where player has Bird rights after year is over. Lee has to give permission either way.

Here's where I got it from:

Quote:
In Nate's case, that is not going to happen. Instead, it's almost assured he will at least walk into training camp with his qualifyer. And, as a result, the Knicks can't trade him this season unless Robinson agrees to the trade.

It would be different in David Lee's case. If the Knicks opt to offer him a one-year at a number higher than his QO, Lee would agree to walk away from his QO to take that number. And that would also allow the Knicks to trade Lee during the season if a deal came up.

Link: http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...nick-1.1382819
Old 08-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Man it must suck to be on the KNicks. They got give a rats ass about their current players bc of the Lebron sweepstakes. Lee deserved a multi year contract, he has played well throughout all the BS on that team. Nate also played great this year, but they are both stuck in the doghouse aka new york
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
bagelred
My team always wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Lee deserved a multi year contract, he has played well throughout all the BS on that team. Nate also played great this year, but they are both stuck in the doghouse aka new york

"Deserved", "Disrespected"...they only "deserve" what the market is willing to pay them. I guess Lee was "disrespected" by all those teams with cap space not willing to pay him $10 million a year. Robinson is also being disrespected because no one wants to give him anything.

Someone needs to pop a cap in Walsh's @ss for disrespecting those boys........
Old 08-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

David Lee is worth what Marvin Williams got - 5 years, $37.5 million, plus incentives to knock it up higher.

The problem the Knicks have is that they want to get some A level free agents, but if they don't, they don't want to let a talented young player in Lee just walk away for nothing (which would be the typical Knick thing to do).
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #12
bagelred
My team always wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
David Lee is worth what Marvin Williams got - 5 years, $37.5 million, plus incentives to knock it up higher.

The problem the Knicks have is that they want to get some A level free agents, but if they don't, they don't want to let a talented young player in Lee just walk away for nothing (which would be the typical Knick thing to do).

When have they ever done that?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #13
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
"Deserved", "Disrespected"...they only "deserve" what the market is willing to pay them. I guess Lee was "disrespected" by all those teams with cap space not willing to pay him $10 million a year. Robinson is also being disrespected because no one wants to give him anything.

Someone needs to pop a cap in Walsh's @ss for disrespecting those boys........

I just think the KNicks are overlooking the talent that they do have in the hopes and prayers that an elite player comes in 2010. I just think they are putting all their apples in one basket, and if it doesnt come through, they will be stuck with nothing. But I guess thats the risk they are willing to take
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: