Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Knicks Defense

Although I will say DUmbtoni isnt a defensive minded coach why is it that people assume he or the staff doesnt want players to play defense?

Nate and Harrington sat not only because of there selfish ways but not making an effort to play defense. Lee in all his shortcomings does make an effort to play some semblance of defense also he rebounds on both ends of the floor.

Why is it such an assumption that the staff doesnt require defense? Whether the players on the team can play defense at a high level is another thing all together!
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
earlofupstate
Good High School Starter

earlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this board
Default Re: Knicks Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
Although I will say DUmbtoni isnt a defensive minded coach why is it that people assume he or the staff doesnt want players to play defense?

Nate and Harrington sat not only because of there selfish ways but not making an effort to play defense. Lee in all his shortcomings does make an effort to play some semblance of defense also he rebounds on both ends of the floor.

Why is it such an assumption that the staff doesnt require defense? Whether the players on the team can play defense at a high level is another thing all together!

Lee, played defense? I guess I missed that game. lol
But seriously, I think they get defense has to be attempted by EVERYONE wearing a Knick jersey now. The fans know AND expect this from ANYONE wearing the uniform. (I do).
earlofupstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

I think the Knicks took a step in the defensive direction by getting Hill and Douglas and acquiring Darko. So it does look like they are trying to improve.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

it's been well documented by ppl who've been around the guy including players and staff that he doesnt ever focus on Defense in practice.Its even been said that he's gone whole practices on multiple occassions not even addressing it.Of course he's not going to SAY he doesn't care about defense but it's obvious the guys theory is to win by outscoring ppl via shooting in 7 seconds or less.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
earlofupstate
Good High School Starter

earlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this board

Hopefully he remembers that last year, it didn't work out so well.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

it NEVER worked out well.It only worked when he was overseas coaching because NOBODY plays D in Europe.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
it NEVER worked out well.It only worked when he was overseas coaching because NOBODY plays D in Europe.

You know what. That justifies us so much more in not taking Brandon Jennings with the 8th pick like people wanted if the other pg's were gone.

We obviously needed defense and were looking defense in this draft. I think we would've taken Flynn or Curry if we had the chance but since they were gone we needed to take the next best defensive player. Which was Jordan Hill.

We wanted a defensive guard so why take a kid whos been playing in Europe where they dont play it.

Instead we got a defensive guard later in the round

For the way the situation panned out I think we handled the draft pretty well.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:09 AM   #8
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
You know what. That justifies us so much more in not taking Brandon Jennings with the 8th pick like people wanted if the other pg's were gone.

We obviously needed defense and were looking defense in this draft. I think we would've taken Flynn or Curry if we had the chance but since they were gone we needed to take the next best defensive player. Which was Jordan Hill.

We wanted a defensive guard so why take a kid whos been playing in Europe where they dont play it.

Instead we got a defensive guard later in the round

For the way the situation panned out I think we handled the draft pretty well.
Only problem with that is Douglas is a project as well as Hill. Neither are starting material for a WHILE... I might have been wrong about Jennings though...
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Douglas is ok but he has a ceiling to me.He's only going to be but so good in my opinion.Im not at all high on Brandon Jennings and I dont think D'Antoni will ever win the big one with this style but thats who we got so we need to get players that best suit his style of play since we've made it clear that D'antoni is "our guy".It's like when you elect a president.You may not be down with who wins an election but when he's in office,it would behoove you to support in whatever ways you can.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

The promblem with D'Antoni's approach isn't that there is no effort. It is that the effort is counter-productive to the offense.

If you want to play an uptempo get out and run offense it makes no sense to play a contain style defense. Yet that is what D'Antoni does.

The Knicks style of play will always lead to high point totals on both sides. Defensively their effectiveness has to be measured by turnover differential/percentaqge, defensive points per possession, and rebounding percentage.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
earlofupstate
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
The promblem with D'Antoni's approach isn't that there is no effort. It is that the effort is counter-productive to the offense.

If you want to play an uptempo get out and run offense it makes no sense to play a contain style defense. Yet that is what D'Antoni does.

The Knicks style of play will always lead to high point totals on both sides. Defensively their effectiveness has to be measured by turnover differential/percentaqge, defensive points per possession, and rebounding percentage.

Sounds like talking about Phoenix, a few years ago. Definitely didn't get them a ring, just alot of awards. MVP's, etc.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
The Joker
Agent of Chaos

The Joker has an OK reputation so far

I have nothing against D'Antoni but I just wished for a team like we had back in the 90's, tough defense and physical.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlofupstate
Sounds like talking about Phoenix, a few years ago. Definitely didn't get them a ring, just alot of awards. MVP's, etc.

honestly the team would be better if the defensive emphasis was on creating tempo. more trapping on ballscreens and denying wing passes
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
honestly the team would be better if the defensive emphasis was on creating tempo. more trapping on ballscreens and denying wing passes

the team would be better if we could get good at any form of defense.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Our defense would be better if our coach paid attn to it.I mean he's not the first offensively biased coach.Look @ Don Nelson but this guy doesnt even lie to us and act like he's focusing on it.Have you ever watched the Knicks training camp on NBA TV?I remember watching it for a week str8 and he only addressed the D once and he did it with the 3rd team.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: