Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 10-20-2006, 12:00 AM   #1
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Question Who are your favorite knick players of all time?

No current players please.
oldknickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

Default .

Chris Dudley! he was my favorite knick in '99 and us spurs fans owe him alot!
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:26 PM   #3
KnickVanExel
I Hit Open Layups

Ewing was the man, hes my favourite Knick of all time. I also like Starks, Oakley and Allan Houston and Frazier.
KnickVanExel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:55 AM   #4
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
Chris Dudley! he was my favorite knick in '99 and us spurs fans owe him alot!
Old 10-23-2006, 02:56 AM   #5
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnickVanExel
Ewing was the man, hes my favourite Knick of all time. I also like Starks, Oakley and Allan Houston and Frazier.

All good choices!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
KingofKings718
Great young streetballer

Patrick Ewing, John Starks, Allan Houston, Latrell Sprewell, Charlie Ward, Larry Johnson.
KingofKings718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:51 PM   #7
KnickFan4Life
Banned

Latrell Spreewell and Anthony Mason were some of my favorites.
KnickFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

what about Charles Oakley, Bernard King, Walt Clyde Frazier, Earl the Pearl Monroe, Willis Reed?
Old 10-30-2006, 03:13 AM   #9
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Bernard King is my favorite since he carried the Knicks all by himself one year until he blew out his knees.

Michal Jordan said that King would not score 50 points in a game against his Bulls. King replied by scoring 50 in two back-to-back games against the Bulls!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:24 AM   #10
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

A little bit of Bernard King history:

1983/84: Bernard King who was acquired in the Michael Ray Richardson deal a year earlier had the year of a lifetime, averaging 26.3 ppg finishing 5th in the league in a season highlighted by back to back 50 point games on January 31st and February 1st. Led by King's scoring touch the Knicks would finish in 3rd place with a record of 47-35. In the playoff King would average 42-6 ppg as the Knicks beat the Detroit Pistons in a grueling 5-game series that saw a classic Game 5 overtime duel between Knicks star Bernard Kings and Isaiah Thomas of the Pistons as both players topped 40 points in a tight overtime battle. In the 2nd round the Knicks would give the eventual Champion Boston Celtics all they could handle before falling in 7 games.

1984/85
: Bernard King continued to be the Knicks biggest star as he set a franchise record for 60 points in a Christmas Day game against the New Jersey Nets, and led the league in scoring. However, despite King's 32.9 ppg the Knicks struggled all season. Those struggles would worsen n March 23rd when Bernard King suffered a devastating knee injury. The Knicks would go on to lose their final 12 games without King finishing in last place with a 24-58 record. However, the team's end of the year struggles would have a silver lining as they won the first every draft lottery enabling them to draft Georgetown star Patrick Ewing.

It is noteworthy that without Bernard King due to injury, the Knicks were mediocre and drafted Patrick Ewing.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:10 PM   #11
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Default re:favorite knicks

Bernard King,Walt "Clyde" Frazier,Patrick Ewing,Rod Strickland (even tho his claim to fame wasn't with the Knicks he was m favorite player for a while and he started with the knicks so...), Mark Jackson,Stephon Marbury,Anthony Mason,John Starks
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #12
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Default re:fav knick

i know ima take on alot of heat but my LEAST favorite knick of all time is by far Charles Oakley.He was one of the most overrated players of all time IMO. My father regards him as the worst player to ever make an all star team.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:20 AM   #13
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
i know ima take on alot of heat but my LEAST favorite knick of all time is by far Charles Oakley.He was one of the most overrated players of all time IMO. My father regards him as the worst player to ever make an all star team.

I disagree!

The Oakman quietly did a lot night in and night out. Mainly rebounding and playing tough defence. Nobody pushed the Knicks around with the Oak as the enforcer. And in one playoff game, he faked out the other team by being the go-to-man and leading scorer to enable the Knicks to advance. No one expected that. But he was a real winner!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:29 AM   #14
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Default Fyi:

May 22, 2006- Oakley got a shout-out a while back on The Sports Guy ESPN.com column about All-Star weekend:

The John Shaft Award

This goes to Oakley. One of the networks needs to have a "Coolest guy on the planet" contest because Oakley would absolutely win. You know those "Road House" scenes in which Swayze just stands in the bar, surveying the scene with a thin smile on his face, barely moving a fingernail and meanwhile, 10 drunk guys are brawling a few feet away from him? That's what Oakley is like. You could hire some extras to play gang members at one of these parties, then have them fire blanks at each other 10 feet from Oakley and I'm not even sure he would flinch. The great thing about him: He served as MJ's enforcer in Chicago, and now they're both retired ... and from what I could tell, he's still Jordan's enforcer. Could there be a greater tribute in life to someone's kickassability than Michael Jordan himself deciding, "You know what? I need to make sure he's still on my side. I don't care if we're in our 40s."

Personally, I think Oak could do more. Why couldn't he become the next great action hero? He's got the looks, the size, the swagger ... at the very least, he could mumble through his lines and become the black Steven Seagal. For God's sake, everyone in the league is still afraid of him, personified by the one-sided Tyrone Hill/Oakley and Jeff McInnis/Oakley feuds, as well as the famous story of Oak slapping Barkley hard across the face during a '99 lockout players-only meeting, which became his signature "Here's why you don't mess with Oakley" moment.

Anyway, on Thursday night, I asked one relatively famous current player who knows him, "What makes Oakley more intimidating than everyone else?"

His answer: "There's a lotta tough guys in the league, but Oak don't give a f---."
Well, then. Should there be reality TV cameras following Oak around at all times? Sure, I think so. But what do I know? By the way, we're not done with him yet, either.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:29 PM   #15
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Default re:

Oakley was a winner because he played years with Pat and Mike. He was nothing more than a glorified Mark Madsen. He defined the word "role player" and its because of moronic commentators like Bill Walton that he got more than his due praise. It's the waltonesque mentality that the role players and the guys that do "the little things" are the ones who win championships. BS. Like it or not the basketball world is predicated on talent. Hustle players are servicable but that isnt what wins you games.I hate it when a team's superstar gets criticized and the guy diving on the floor gets praised and they make it seem like that guy is the reason why that team is winning. Put 10 role players on a team and gimme 10 superstars and i'll take my chances cuz i see a blowout.I see the Dream Team against the Bobcats. Fact of the matter is,Oakley will go down as one of the best Knicks of all time but I'de MUCH rather have Mason,Camby....I'de rather have Eddy Curry. N by the way, Oakley could only defend when the guy he was guarding wanted to bang down low. He was slow and he benefittedfrom help defense from Pat. He was an offensive liability so that one game ur talkin about gets outweighed by about 13 seasons of the Knicks playing 4 on 5 on offense.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: