Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #31
kshutts1
Great college starter

Default Re: Ricky Rubio to Barcelona done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Rubio can improve overseas but he still has to translate it to the NBA, some of the most skilled European players were not able to translate their game effectively in the NBA. Rubio being 18 would give him time to develop his game early, he would be given a longer tolerance for mistakes because of his youth. However at 22 or 23, that leash will be much shorter espescially considering he was the #5 Pick.

OK, but still Kahn will have made a bad pick there.

Rubio's value will not be any higher than it is right now, and no smart GM will move a good player to acquire an unproven PG like Rubio. When GM's trade a good player, its for a draft pick to select a specific player or its to dump salary.

Why should a GM trade a player like Kevin Martin to Minnesota to acquire Rubio who will still have to adjust to the American game when he arrives.

If Flynn turns out to be a good player, what smart GM would trade away their already proven PG to give an opportunity to an unproven PG they drafted years ago? That would make no sense, and set Minnesota back espescially if Flynn is a key component of their offense and would only be 23.
I think there are about 7 smart GMs in the league... so odds are that someone will bite.

We all remember trading a perennial 20/10 guy (Brand) for a HS kid, right? And Gasol for chump change? And the Lakers trading a proven C for a HS kid named Kobe, etc, etc..

The league is full of idiots, unfortunately, and while it's not the best strategy, I think Kahn may have been relying on some idiot to clean up the possible mess this whole time. I mean... he drafted Plan A and Plan B, yet probably already had Plan C (Rubio not coming over) planned and thought out...

I only give the guy the benefit of the doubt because it's what I would have done. A good example (on a much lesser scale) is I just traded for Westbrook in my fantasy football league. We start two RBs and three WRs.. I gave up my 2nd WR for Westbrook, who will be my THIRD RB (I'm stacked there). I'm banking on someone biting on Westbrook for a WR better than Colston (who I gave up to get him).

Kahn could very well be doing that.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #32
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
You're already considering this Draft to be Weak before the season has even started, Rubio's fate due to his Draft positioning wont be determined until maybe 5-10 years down the line.

In that case maybe you should wait 5-10 years before saying the Wolves completely ****ed up ? Or at least 3 years until we see if Rubio comes over when he can, and how he does.

I mean honestly, if you were him would you pay over $6 million of your own money to leave your home behind and go play in Minnesota ? I sure as hell wouldn't. People are hating on him for no good reason.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #33
sergiorodriguez

Rubio is so overrated and not that good. You guys will all be so disappointed when he comes over here. Just so y'alls know, he isn't even better than Jose Calderon.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #34
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Why are people comparing Rubio to Calderon as if that's a bad thing ? Calderon is an excellent PG in the NBA.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #35
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
Why are people comparing Rubio to Calderon as if that's a bad thing ? Calderon is an excellent PG in the NBA.
Just ignore him, he even claims Sergio Rodriguez's a better player too.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #36
Sicknote
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitter
YahooSportsNBA: There is no deal done with Regal Barcelona for Ricky Rubio, a source with dorect knowledge tells Y! Sports

And yes, Yahoo Sports spelled direct wrong.
Sicknote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #37
twolvesfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicknote
And yes, Yahoo Sports spelled direct wrong.
oh boy another false alarm
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #38
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned

Default Re: Ricky Rubio to Barcelona may be done deal

At the end of the Spain - Israel game they said that it is official. Joventut accepted the buyout and his rights have been given to Barcelona.
Lakas Fan Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #39
bagelred
Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
At the end of the Spain - Israel game they said that it is official. Joventut accepted the buyout and his rights have been given to Barcelona.

And then a soccer fight broke out.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #40
Jeffrey_Teague
Pistons, Raps, UCONN

Is this one actually forshure forshure or what
Jeffrey_Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #41
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey_Teague

At the end of the Israel and Spain game they interviewed Rubio.

It was in Spanish but in English it is something like:

Reporter: "So you will be playing with FC Barcelona next year?"

Rubio: "I don't anything as my advisers have not told me anything yet."

Reporter: "Well we have just gotten word and it is a completed deal. Joventut has accepted the buyout offer and you will play in Barcelona."

So it would seem pretty much done.
Lakas Fan Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #42
twolvesfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey_Teague
id wait until penya or barcelona actually have something to say about this. so far every source that is actually involved with rubio and his buy out deny anything has happened
Old 08-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #43
twolvesfan
Banned

now the favor is back in Minnesota's ball court.

http://dunkingwithwolves.com/2009/08...o-update-829/\

Quote:
Here is what was “announced” today:

ElPunt
DKV Joventut board met with club president Jordi Villacampa yesterday and will not make a desicion about the future of Ricky Rubio until Monday.

Today, Villacampa will meet with owner Glen Taylor, who is trying to break the deal between DKV and Regal Barcelona.

As.com
David Kahn thinks that with a 4-million offer, some exhibition games in Badalona y and that Joventut will get Rubio’s rights once he leaves the NBA, the Spanish club will send Ricky to the NBA this season.

If true, this would mean that DKV does in fact have an offer they are considering from Barcelona, since that is the only team Rubio has said he is interested in playing for in Europe. Also, this would most likely mean that DKV would rather Rubio went to the NBA than another team. The lure of having any team from the NBA playing against your team in Europe is still so great that this may be the deal breaker for DKV. One game against an NBA team would get them quite a large sum of much needed Euros and also bring more positive media attention to their squad in Europe.

this is getting favre-esque as to how many rumors are flying around
Old 08-29-2009, 11:48 PM   #44
BrilliantLegacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Sooooooooo... This means the T'Wolves are just as retarded as they've ever been.
BrilliantLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #45
twolvesfan
Banned

more positive rumors

http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=
Quote:
DKV-Timberwolves game
Spanish promoters, however, have begun to turn that is friendly and date: 10 October 2010. Inicialmente se quería programar para el mes de octubre de este mismo año, pero se ha tenido que cambiar la fecha, ya que es evidente que no hay tiempo material para organizar un encuentro de estas características con los requisitos y condiciones que exige la NBA. Initially they wanted to schedule for the month of October this year, but has had to change the date, since it is clear that there is time enough to organize a meeting of these features with the requirements and conditions required by the NBA. Potencialmente, ese partido supondría una ganancia de aproximadamente medio millón de euros, pero, eso, como otras cosas que presenta el dúo Fegan-Minnesota, es lógicamente una estimación y la Penya no tiene garantías reales de que se vaya a producir ese beneficio. Potentially, this party would gain about half a million euros, but that, like other things that presents the duo Fegan-Minnesota, is logically an estimate and Penya no Collateral to be producing that benefit.
for some reason it wont let me copy and paste in english. but anyway the rumor is that the timberwolves and DKV have already set a date for a friendly match between the 2 over in spain in october of next year. IF this is true Rubio is coming
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: