Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 09-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Kobe=MVP07`
Local High School Star

Kobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation here
Default Is there an possibilty Lebron comes to the Clippers?

I have not looked at the financial situation in 2010, i heard they could get money not sure [if someone could look into that]

money availability aside, Lebron would be receiving less in his contract b/c he is not signing with the Cavs but will make up for it and probably more in endorsements.

Pros:
more $$
Great City

You have Very good players that he would immedietly boost to a top 3 favorite in the west with a mix of Vets [baron-camby-kaman] and young guns[ thornton gordon] and possibly superstar sidekick in griffin]

posibilty they are the black horse?
Kobe=MVP07` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
snipes12
Dirk Madness

snipes12 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Is there an possibilty Lebron comes to the Clippers?

nah... keep dreamin
snipes12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

None at all. The only reason people talk about it is Bill Simmons brought it up in a column. I'm sure Lebron's dream is to play on the laughed at team in a 2 team city when Kobe plays on the good team.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
Knicks101
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Knicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Not in a million years.
Knicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks101
Not in a million years.
Coming from a Knicks fan, this makes me chuckle.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
snipes12
Dirk Madness

snipes12 has not been impressing people

aint that right
snipes12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
sergiorodriguez

If Lebron plays in the western conference he will not see another finals. It is too deep. The only reason Bron Bron does so well is because he plays in a pussy soft basketball conference.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe=MVP07`
money availability aside, Lebron would be receiving less in his contract b/c he is not signing with the Cavs but will make up for it and probably more in endorsements.

this whole "endorsement money" in a greater market city was probably true in the 1980s but i don't know how true it is now.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...tunate50/2009/

for example:
lebron james earned $28 million and plays in cleveland
kobe bryant earned $10 million and plays in los angeles
comparable players, last 2 mvps, and bryant plays in the bigger market yet earns less in endorsements

peyton manning earned $13 million and plays in indianapolis
tom brady earned $10 million and plays in boston
comparable players, SB champs, brady plays in a bigger market yet earns less in endorsements

lebron james already makes nearly DOUBLE any other player in a TEAM sport makes in endorsements (shaq is second in endorsement earnings of anybody in a team sport with $15 million earnings). probably for borderline stars it affects their earning potential on what market they play in, but not superstars like lebron. its not like all of a sudden he will be in LA and advertisers/companies will suddenly be aware of his existence.

the cavs are on national tv (i excluded nba tv since i dont think everyone has it) 25 times this coming season. the knicks are on national tv 5 times. i realize if he were on the knicks they would probably put the knicks on national tv 25 times- but not because they are in new york (otherwise they would already have a bunch of games), but because they have lebron james. point being that the days of "big market = big endorsement money" is probably no longer true for superstar players due to the national coverage of sports expanding. for mid-level to border line star players, this probably is true though because they will take more local endorsements.

Last edited by gotbacon23 : 09-01-2009 at 04:07 PM.
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
sergiorodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbacon23
this whole "endorsement money" in a greater market city was probably true in the 1980s but i don't know how true it is now.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...tunate50/2009/

for example:
lebron james earned $28 million and plays in cleveland
kobe bryant earned $10 million and plays in los angeles
comparable players, last 2 mvps, and bryant plays in the bigger market yet earns less in endorsements

peyton manning earned $13 million and plays in indianapolis
tom brady earned $10 million and plays in boston
comparable players, SB champs, brady plays in a bigger market yet earns less in endorsements

lebron james already makes nearly DOUBLE any other player in a TEAM sport makes in endorsements (shaq is second in endorsement earnings of anybody in a team sport with $15 million earnings). probably for borderline stars it affects their earning potential on what market they play in, but not superstars like lebron. its not like all of a sudden he will be in LA and advertisers/companies will suddenly be aware of his existence.

the cavs are on national tv (i excluded nba tv since i dont think everyone has it) 25 times this coming season. the knicks are on national tv 5 times. i realize if he were on the knicks they would probably put the knicks on national tv 25 times- but not because they are in new york (otherwise they would already have a bunch of games), but because they have lebron james. point being that the days of "big market = big endorsement money" is probably no longer true for superstar players. mid-level to border line players this probably is true though because they will take more local endorsements.
That's only because of Kobe's sexual assault trial, if that never happened Kobe would be racking in as much cash as Lebron if not more by now.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
Darius
Good college starter

Darius is considered somewhat coolDarius is considered somewhat coolDarius is considered somewhat cool

Baron
Gordon
LBJ/Thorton
Griffin
Kaman/Camby

vs.

???/Nate Robinson
???
LBJ/Gallinari/Chandler
Harrington/Hill
Lee/Curry

hmmm... which would you choose?
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiorodriguez
That's only because of Kobe's sexual assault trial, if that never happened Kobe would be racking in as much cash as Lebron if not more by now.

kobe never earned as much $$$ as james in endorsements even before that. and keep in mind that was back in the day when people were getting crazzzy shoe deals and things- something that is not happening anymore. and yeah, i agree he would be earning more than he is had that whole colorado scene had not happened, but i doubt he would jump from $10 million to $28 million. people hardly even remember that whole rape thing anymore anyway.

and yes, there are other factors involved besides market to determine endorsement $$$. my point is basically that everyone already knows who lebron is anyway- playing in los angeles can only increase his exposure by a little bit anyway.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

OneMoreSucka has an OK reputation so far

Won't happen.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
sergiorodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbacon23
kobe never earned as much $$$ as james in endorsements even before that. and keep in mind that was back in the day when people were getting crazzzy shoe deals and things- something that is not happening anymore. and yeah, i agree he would be earning more than he is had that whole colorado scene had not happened, but i doubt he would jump from $10 million to $28 million. people hardly even remember that whole rape thing anymore anyway.

and yes, there are other factors involved besides market to determine endorsement $$$. my point is basically that everyone already knows who lebron is anyway- playing in los angeles can only increase his exposure by a little bit anyway.
im pretty sure if the rape never happened Kobe would be getting as much exposure and endorsement as prime Jordan used to get by now, and would have his nuts sucked daily on ESPN like Bron Bron does now. Don't forget a bunch of organizations like McDonalds used to have Kobe signed, imagine how much they'd pay him after his latest championship to do commercials?

Kobe used to be marketed as the squaky clean good kid basketball prodigy. True fans knew he was an ass, but the public loved that guy. He was even voted an allstar starter his first season when he got like 15 minutes a game. Then...the rape ruined everything.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiorodriguez
im pretty sure if the rape never happened Kobe would be getting as much exposure and endorsement as prime Jordan used to get by now, and would have his nuts sucked daily on ESPN like Bron Bron does now. Don't forget a bunch of organizations like McDonalds used to have Kobe signed, imagine how much they'd pay him after his latest championship to do commercials?

Kobe used to be marketed as the squaky clean good kid basketball prodigy. True fans knew he was an ass, but the public loved that guy. He was even voted an allstar starter his first season when he got like 15 minutes a game. Then...the rape ruined everything.

yeah, thats true. so maybe the comparison is bad. but my point being is that do you really thing lebron could be more exposed than he is already?

i would argue no, or at the very least only slightly more exposed. he is on every damn commercial already and he is playing in cleveland.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Of course there is a possibility, the same one the Nets and Heat have. Difference is, with Gordon, Griffin & Jordan, the Clippers arguably have the best youth to throw around LeBron (Nets have Harris & Lopez).
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: