Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
guy
NBA All-star

Default Re: Is there an possibilty Lebron comes to the Clippers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiorodriguez
im pretty sure if the rape never happened Kobe would be getting as much exposure and endorsement as prime Jordan used to get by now, and would have his nuts sucked daily on ESPN like Bron Bron does now. Don't forget a bunch of organizations like McDonalds used to have Kobe signed, imagine how much they'd pay him after his latest championship to do commercials?

Kobe used to be marketed as the squaky clean good kid basketball prodigy. True fans knew he was an ass, but the public loved that guy. He was even voted an allstar starter his first season when he got like 15 minutes a game. Then...the rape ruined everything.

Ummm from what I remember, alot of people already hated him even before the rape trial. Alot of people were very sick and tired of him being shoved down everyone's throats cause of the comparisons to Jordan when he hadn't accomplished anything yet to even warrant the comparison. Then of course the whole Shaq-Kobe feud definitely brought him even more haters. In fact, I don't know if the amount of people that hated Kobe really increased that much after the rape thing since most people thought he was innocent anyway, and like someone else said, no one even thinks of the rape thing anymore. And Kobe already get his nuts sucked daily on ESPN just like Lebron. Kobe's already really popular, but he had alot of other reasons besides the rape thing that made people hate him. I don't think his popularity would've changed much if that never happened.
guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #17
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbacon23
yeah, thats true. so maybe the comparison is bad. but my point being is that do you really thing lebron could be more exposed than he is already?

i would argue no, or at the very least only slightly more exposed. he is on every damn commercial already and he is playing in cleveland.

Im agreeing with the SergioRodriguez troll brah.

The reason why LeBron is promoted, marketed, and is at the level he currently is at off the court is due to the fact that non sports related companies are unable to market Kobe due to the rape case. Although he wasnt convicted, Kobe did pay her off and admitted to adultery and the non-basketball fan public still has yet to forget that. Although not related to the Rape Case, but the fact that publicly Kobe's perception has changed from smiling likeable young star with Championships to 31 year old egotistical star focused on winning.

So you have the 2 biggest current stars in the NBA, but only 1 is able to crossover in terms of his promotions.

If LeBron goes to an even larger market like New York, he will become more well known and that will lead to him being able to market more products. NYC is the media capital of the World, there is no question that playing in NYC will make him an even bigger superstar.

Its the case with other superstars in different sports, guys like Bonds, Christiano Ronaldo, David Beckham,etc had to go from small market to big market to leave a permanent legacy on their sport. I dont see any different from LeBron doing so, but it would be shocking if it were the Clippers.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #18
EllEffEll
Local High School Star

He might use them as a fulcrum to leverage more cash from whomever he really wants to sign with and then toss them aside like a used tissue much the same as others have done, but I really don't see him becoming a Clipper.

Why share a town with Kobe/Lakers when he can have somewhere like NY all to himself? He'd likely do better staying in Cleveland IMHO. Not hatin' on the Clips, just sayin' I don't see enough things that would make him go for it when his other options look better suited to his interests. And if LeBron is anything, he is a man with many fine options available to him
EllEffEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #19
Durantula35
KoLebRose fans r funny

If LeBron even considers the Clips, that will tell us that he isn't serious about a ring.
Durantula35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #20
hoopaddict08
Decent college freshman

He should go to New Jersey

Harris
Lee
Lebron
Lopez

Who cares if they move to Brooklyn or not. That's a sick team.
hoopaddict08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #21
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

If LeBron was smart, he would. He could revive a franchise on his own, and be remembered for that. It's a large market, he can battle Kobe 4 times a year in the same city, and begin what would become a legend like story.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #22
EllEffEll
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez
If LeBron was smart, he would. He could revive a franchise on his own, and be remembered for that. It's a large market, he can battle Kobe 4 times a year in the same city, and begin what would become a legend like story.

Sterling's record shows he is more than adept at finding ways to eff up every NBA wet dream that he's ever encountered. That's a lot to overcome, even for LeBron.

I will admit that if he could turn that franchise around, THAT would impress me
EllEffEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #23
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Im agreeing with the SergioRodriguez troll brah.

The reason why LeBron is promoted, marketed, and is at the level he currently is at off the court is due to the fact that non sports related companies are unable to market Kobe due to the rape case. Although he wasnt convicted, Kobe did pay her off and admitted to adultery and the non-basketball fan public still has yet to forget that. Although not related to the Rape Case, but the fact that publicly Kobe's perception has changed from smiling likeable young star with Championships to 31 year old egotistical star focused on winning.

So you have the 2 biggest current stars in the NBA, but only 1 is able to crossover in terms of his promotions.

If LeBron goes to an even larger market like New York, he will become more well known and that will lead to him being able to market more products. NYC is the media capital of the World, there is no question that playing in NYC will make him an even bigger superstar.

Its the case with other superstars in different sports, guys like Bonds, Christiano Ronaldo, David Beckham,etc had to go from small market to big market to leave a permanent legacy on their sport. I dont see any different from LeBron doing so, but it would be shocking if it were the Clippers.
How many times do we have to go through this? SH*T. If you are good, people will know who you are. Motown didnt have to leave detroit for everyone to know them and their artists. Allen Iverson was the most popular player in the league for some time in Philadelphia. Wade is a popular player in Miami. Do you honestly think that people honestly do not know who Lebron is? He played in the Olympics twice for god's sake. The world has already seen him before and multiple times. Just because New York is bigger doesnt mean that it instantly makes him more popular because that is not humanly possible. Not at all.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #24
Durantula35
KoLebRose fans r funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez

He'd probably never win a title there which would also become a legend like story. Think Shakespearean tragedy.
Durantula35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #25
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopaddict08
He should go to New Jersey

Harris
Lee
Lebron
Lopez

Who cares if they move to Brooklyn or not. That's a sick team.

Gordon
LeBron
Griffin
Kaman | Jordan
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #26
hoopaddict08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Gordon
LeBron
Griffin
Kaman | Jordan

I still like the New Jersey team

Kaman is injury prone. Jordan hasn't proved anything.

Plus there is no fun letting LA have both Kobe and Lebron.
hoopaddict08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #27
Bodhi
Local High School Star

Just to throw this out there, Kobe has said before that he's turned down endorsement deals from sponsors who dropped him after the rape charges and then came back when his image improved. That probably also contributes to why his money from endorsements isn't that high.
Bodhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:49 AM   #28
rox fa sho
High school junior varsity star

no one is going to the worst injury prone team in the universe
rox fa sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #29
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Clippers gonna get the 8th playoff spot, then go an impressive six games against the Lakers...

And then LeBron will flirt with coming to L.A. because they have so much promise, only to pull a KB.. and re-sign with Clev.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #30
PockyStick
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Clippers gonna get the 8th playoff spot, then go an impressive six games against the Lakers...

And then LeBron will flirt with coming to L.A. because they have so much promise, only to pull a KB.. and re-sign with Clev.

I have bad dreams about this. Using the Clippers as leverage to get a better deal elsewhere.
PockyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: