Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man

Juvenile has no real reputation yet.
Default Reading...

I was redecorating my room the other day, and got hold for the first time of how many books I had in the shelfes and hidden in closets, mostly adolescent adventure books. I then noticed that the amount of books I read nowadays is far less than in my adolescence.

So my question...

How many books do you read per month/year?
What kinds of books do you read?
Do you wish you'd read more?
Assuming you read less now than a few years ago, what do you do instead?
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
eboloid
Flash Gordo

eboloid has an OK reputation so far

I have to ask this, since you're German.. (I'm German-Swiss, mostly)

Are any of the books you found TKKG? I loved that stuff.

You seem like you've got a good grasp of English, do you read German translations of books originally written in English? Last time I did that I didn't even realize Kathy Reichs wasn't German, what can I say, the name fooled me. I kept trying to translate all the dialogue into English because, well, I'm OCD like that.

I'm not going to read Blechtrommel in English. Screw that.

I've been reading less because I don't have access to a bookstore that sells books in English right now, but I'm re-reading books again, maybe half a dozen a year, mostly Fantasy/Fantasy with bolts on and Sci-Fi. Some Stephen Leather, too.
eboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man

Juvenile has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboloid
I have to ask this, since you're German.. (I'm German-Swiss, mostly)

Are any of the books you found TKKG? I loved that stuff.

You seem like you've got a good grasp of English, do you read German translations of books originally written in English? Last time I did that I didn't even realize Kathy Reichs wasn't German, what can I say, the name fooled me. I kept trying to translate all the dialogue into English because, well, I'm OCD like that.

I'm not going to read Blechtrommel in English. Screw that.

I've been reading less because I don't have access to a bookstore that sells books in English right now, but I'm re-reading books again, maybe half a dozen a year, mostly Fantasy/Fantasy with bolts on and Sci-Fi. Some Stephen Leather, too.

yeah, I do have 3 or 4 TKKG books, but I mostly read classic german literature (Momo, Karl May books etc) or AStrid Lindgren and the likes.

If I can, I'll read any book in its original language. That basically excludes anything but Englisch and German literature, though I tried reading Le Petit Prince in french, but didn't work out as I hoped
English is no problem, though I did have some problems with Lord of the Rings.
Reading books in their original language is sooo much better, it isn't even funny, same goes with movies of course.
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I read more then most of my friends. Probably six books a year. I like history stuff, and I read a lot of True Crime. Not a whole lot of fiction.

I actually read more now then I did when I was younger. I'd like to read more, but it's tough to find the time.

I'm currently working on a book called "Manhunt", about the twelve day search for John Wilkes Booth following the assassination of Abe Lincoln. It's pretty interesting, but the language is a bit dense. There's a decent amount of names and places to keep track of, so it kind of goes in spurts. I'm about 2/3rds done.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: