Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-07-2009, 02:37 AM   #16
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan

G.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Is Hakeem outplaying Shaq in the '95 Finals a myth?

Sure felt that way, pertaining to Anderson's perfromance.

What was so crazy about all that was how much it affected him long term. He never shot the ball nearly as well after that and had a few bizarre like 45% FT seasons.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:56 AM   #17
Silverbullit
Good college starter

Silverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Mind
A timeless example where we see stats don't always tell the full story. Here is a quote from O'Neal about the 1995 Finals.

"If I can't beat you, I'll be a man and say I can't beat you. I'm not going to [cry about it] ... I'm the first guy to say that somebody is better than me. I was the first guy to say Hakeem Olajuwon beat me in the [1995] NBA finals. He killed me. He dominated me. I didn't go, 'Oh, he's traveling. They had experience. Wah-wah-wah.' I'm a man. Hakeem Olajuwon dusted my butt."

Nothing more needs to be said

repped.
Silverbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #18
chitownsfinest
Local High School Star

chitownsfinest has decent reputation

Neither actually did guard each other for the entire series as sometime Grant guarded Hakeem and Charles Jones guarded Shaq but I can say that when they did guard each other, Hakeem scored on Shaq just as much as Shaq scored on Hakeem. In game 1, Hakeem had foul troubles for most the game and was not put on Shaq for a large portion to limit him from fouling out but he did make key passes in the end of the third quarter to Houston's shooters for open looks to bring Houston back at what was once a 20 point deficit in the game. In the 4th, he scored like 12-14 points and had the game winning tip. Shaq didn't really show up in crunch time or ot in that game. Hakeem also caused like 3-4 of Shaq's 7 ot's in that game, including like 2 travel charges. Hakeem had the advantage in that game.

In game 2, Hakeem started of by scoring big on Shaq. Cassell, Horry, and Drexler then proceeded to make big plays to finish off the half and the Rockets were blowing out the Magic partly due to Hakeem acting like the sparkplug. Shaq went off in the second half and almost brought it back to single digits but Cassell as too hot and it was too late. Penny and Shaq were the only Magic players that stepped up. I would once again give the advantage to Hakeem due to him and Cassell putting Orlando in a deep hole.

I haven't seen game 3 yet (though I would assume Hakeem was clutch in that game as well) and game 4 went the same as game 2 did, so the general conclusion is that Hakeem outplayed Shaq despite the numbers. Shaq did hold his own in the series though and did not back down from the Dream, unlike the Admiral. Overall the edge goes to Hakeem due to better leadership and clutch play (though no leader in the world could have helped out Nick Anderson in that series). Hakeem also forced a lot of to's out of Shaq in that series as well.
chitownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:13 AM   #19
AirJordan23
Local High School Star

AirJordan23 is considered somewhat coolAirJordan23 is considered somewhat coolAirJordan23 is considered somewhat cool

Hakeem outplayed him. I don't think anyone can deny that. It's a myth that Shaq got dominated and killed. That quote by Shaq is purely out of class and respect he has for the dream. Olajuwon/Shaq match up wasn't the deciding factor. The result of the games was decided by clutch shots by role players. It was about who was the better unit. Orlando might've been more talented but the Rockets played better as a unit. Magic didn't really hit any clutch shots save for that Dennis Scott 3 in OT of game 1. Anderson flatout choked in game 1 and was never the same again. Scott had some poor shooting nights. Shaw wasn't that spectacular either.

Games were mostly close except for game 2 where the Rockets had that huge lead at half time. Think Orlando came back led by Shaq and Penny and then Cassell and Dream closed it out. Game 1 was key in this series Jet came up big with his 3s but Orlando could've closed it out with the FTs. Game 3 was also pretty close. Ended up with the Horry 3. Game 4 was also close at the start of the 4th. Think it was tied but the Rockets' role players hit some big shots. Olajuwon even hit a 3 in Shaq's face in the last minute or so.

Statistically speaking, Shaq didn't get outplayed but when you watch the games he did. Hakeem was CLUTCH and made some big shots. Also you forgot TOs. Olajuwon averaged 2.75 TOs compared to Shaq's 5.25. That's a pretty big difference. If you're just comparing them when they were matched up, it's probably a tied. Shaq served up a couple of facials and didn't have any problem scoring on him. He'd power Hakeem out and score with a jumphook. Olajuwon brought O'Neal away from the basket and nailed the J in his face. They didn't really have problems scoring on each other. Shaq was more efficient, though.
AirJordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #20
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I had this conversation with somebody in the past and I think the stats are off in the OP.

Game 1
Shaq - 26 pts (10/16) 16 rebs 3 blks 9 asts
Hakeem - 31 pts (13/26) 6 rebs 4 blks 7 asts

Game 2
Shaq - 34 pts (14/30) 11 rebs 4 blks 2 asts
Hakeem - 33 pts (12/22) 12 rebs 0 blks 7 asts

Game 3
Shaq - 28 pts (11/17) 10 rebs 3 blks 6 asts
Hakeem - 31 pts (14/30) 14 rebs 0 blks 7 asts

Game 4
Shaq - 25 pts (11/19) 12 rebs 4 blks 3 asts
Hakeem - 35 pts (15/30) 15 rebs 0 blks 6 asts

averages
Shaq - 28.25 pts (46/82 [56%]) 12.25 rebs 3.5 blks 5 asts
Hakeem - 32.5 pts (54/108 [50%]) 11.75 rebs 1 blk 6.75 asts
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #21
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
I had this conversation with somebody in the past and I think the stats are off in the OP.

averages
Shaq - 28.25 pts (46/82 [56%]) 12.25 rebs 3.5 blks 5 asts
Hakeem - 32.5 pts (54/108 [50%]) 11.75 rebs 1 blk 6.75 asts

Wrong.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...95_finals.html
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: