Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #16
mhg88
Local High School Star

mhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Was an innocent man executed?

I think in this guy's case, he would rather be dead anyway. Seems better than life in prison when you're wrongly convicted of killing your own kids.
mhg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #17
Zak

Zak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
life in prison costs too much. If anything why should taxpayers have to pay for the most violent offenders that are undoubtedly guilty, and will never become a normal member of society? We really need to review the worst of cases and execute accordingly as long as its beyond a shadow of a doubt, and create a harsher deterrence to those type of crimes. Then decriminalize marijuana offenses into just fines for doing it in public. Then maybe our prison system wouldn't be so overburdened.
you do know putting someone on death row and executing them costs much more in lawyers and everything than putting someone in jail for life?
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #18
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak
you do know putting someone on death row and executing them costs much more in lawyers and everything than putting someone in jail for life?

I've heard that but i don't really believe it. I just don't get how it can cost so much money for an execution even if there is a lot of paperwork involved, than 3 meals a day indefinitely, and a prison cell to themself, along with whatever other maintenance costs associated with a prisoner and cell. I mean does it make sense that serving 10-20+ years of that at the expense of taxpayers costs more than a 1 time execution? I'd really like to see the figures backing that up...
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #19
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Cap punishment should be used far more often as far as I'm concerned, but only in cases beyond doubt. It's clear this case wasn't such a case. But for people who actually did murder people and are sitting on death row because their state doesn't want to finish the deal, I'm all for bringing back firing squad or hangings.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #20
goldenryan
I'm Back

goldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this board

cap punishment should only be used for vicious crimes which you have hard
evidence against the person. too much injustice in this world ..shm..
~singing what's going on~
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #21
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

SourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
Cap punishment should be used far more often as far as I'm concerned, but only in cases beyond doubt. It's clear this case wasn't such a case. But for people who actually did murder people and are sitting on death row because their state doesn't want to finish the deal, I'm all for bringing back firing squad or hangings.

the point is most cases are beyond doubt until they aren't
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #22
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrapes
the point is most cases are beyond doubt until they aren't
Not with today's technology. DNA evidence is clearing guys wrongly convicted of rape, where before all the courts decided on was the testimony and an overzealous DA with an incompetent PD. I'm not saying all cases are correct, but there is a greater advantage in the technology available that wasn't there in decades past.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #23
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
I've heard that but i don't really believe it. I just don't get how it can cost so much money for an execution even if there is a lot of paperwork involved, than 3 meals a day indefinitely, and a prison cell to themself, along with whatever other maintenance costs associated with a prisoner and cell. I mean does it make sense that serving 10-20+ years of that at the expense of taxpayers costs more than a 1 time execution? I'd really like to see the figures backing that up...

The number of appeals and the man hours used by public defenders, clerks, courts etc can significantly add up. Life without parole sounds good. I'm definitely not in favor of lowering the amount of appeals a deathrow inmate gets considering the number who have been released only after exhausting almost every chance to appeal before death.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #24
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
The number of appeals and the man hours used by public defenders, clerks, courts etc can significantly add up. Life without parole sounds good. I'm definitely not in favor of lowering the amount of appeals a deathrow inmate gets considering the number who have been released only after exhausting almost every chance to appeal before death.

I often hear this, and while I'm sure every death row inmate exhausts every appeal opportunity, it just doesn't make sense that a guy who receives life w/o parole wouldn't also do the same.

It's not that I don't think capital punishment is justifiable in some cases, I just don't have much faith in the judicial system to administer it properly, as this case potentially shows. I would absolutely fully support it under the right circumstances if proof of guilt could be 100% ascertained a defendant is guilty, which is insanely difficult. I suppose you could say I support it in theory (but it still gives me a bit of a sick feeling), but not in practice.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #25
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I often hear this, and while I'm sure every death row inmate exhausts every appeal opportunity, it just doesn't make sense that a guy who receives life w/o parole wouldn't also do the same.

It's not that I don't think capital punishment is justifiable in some cases, I just don't have much faith in the judicial system to administer it properly, as this case potentially shows. I would absolutely fully support it under the right circumstances if proof of guilt could be 100% ascertained a defendant is guilty, which is insanely difficult. I suppose you could say I support it in theory (but it still gives me a bit of a sick feeling), but not in practice.

I'm against the death penalty given how flawed it is. I think life without parole should suffice. That way the victims family or families know the person will never have freedom again, while also taking the government out of the revenge business and it also gives those convicted a chance if they are innocent to fight the charges without being on a fcked up death clock. Just getting people to listen to you to take up your cause can take years if not a decade plus.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #26
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

SourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
Not with today's technology. DNA evidence is clearing guys wrongly convicted of rape, where before all the courts decided on was the testimony and an overzealous DA with an incompetent PD. I'm not saying all cases are correct, but there is a greater advantage in the technology available that wasn't there in decades past.

the problem isn't with technology. it's with our application of it. there is plenty of room for error

edit: and what is scary is that a likely innocent man died and went through an absolutely terrifying process just so that in other cases you can feel some modicum of revenge. it's disgusting

Last edited by SourGrapes : 09-09-2009 at 12:55 AM.
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:36 AM   #27
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg88
I think in this guy's case, he would rather be dead anyway. Seems better than life in prison when you're wrongly convicted of killing your own kids.
Here is the problem with that, though. The death penalty cannot be reversed. Obviously, once it is enforced, that is it.

When you are wrongly imprisoned, there is always the chance that you will eventually be vindicated and released.

I haven't really heard a good, coherent argument as to why the death penalty should continue to be applied. It has been proven that it is absolutely not a deterrent of crime. The murder rate in states with the death penalty is, on average, higher than those states without it.

So, why is it still being done? State sanctioned retribution is all it is... And at the end of the day, does a family of someone who has been murdered really have that void filled by another person dying? I can't imagine that it would help the victims cope with their loss. When you factor in that there will always be a percentage (regardless of how small) of innocent people who are put to death, it makes absolutely no sense.

Our civilization should have advanced past this archaic criminal justice system that is currently in place.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #28
elevensevenelev
Banned

elevensevenelev has an OK reputation so far

Wow Why
elevensevenelev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:13 AM   #29
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrapes
the problem isn't with technology. it's with our application of it. there is plenty of room for error

Yes, there is room for error, but there is also increased ability to determine the facts.

Quote:
edit: and what is scary is that a likely innocent man died and went through an absolutely terrifying process just so that in other cases you can feel some modicum of revenge. it's disgusting
It has nothing to do with revenge, and his case has no bearing on other cases. My support of cap punishment isn't in cases like his.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:24 AM   #30
elevensevenelev
Banned

elevensevenelev has an OK reputation so far

boo death penalty. rep me plz if you don't support it, i rep back leave name plz
elevensevenelev is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: