Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #16
magnax1
Not a mormon

Default Re: James Worthy vs Dominique Wilkins

'Nique no contest. Worthy is only remembered because he was surrounded by two of the greatest of all time. 'Nique was one of the greatest of all time.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #17
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Comparing Worthy to Wilkins is like comparing Rip Hamilton to Brandon Roy.... thats all i gotta say
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #18
CB4GOATPF
Local High School Star

Pretty even.

If you need an Unstoppable 1 on 1 Scorer, Great Rebounder, a Player that Draws Double Teaming to Cause Havoc from Most All Over the Court and Make it Easier for Others, Solid Team Defender and Great Finisher...then go with Nique (but you kneed the others)

James is more of a Team and All Around Game Oriented Option:

If you need a Player that can Guard almost All PFs and SFs, is a Missmatch for most All SFs or PFs, thas the Greatest 1st Step Base Lines Moves of All Time, a Post Game, One of the Top Fast Break Finishers of All Time, Good Passer, Solid Rebounder and a Good Defender in the Post then go with Big Games

I think i might go with Big Game James. His Scoring opportunities where somewhat overshadowed by Kareem, Magic, McAdoo and sometimes Scott. Same with his Rebounding with Kareem, Rambis, Thompson, Magic and even McAdoo off the bench.

If you go for Big SFs...i think he is the IDEAL Running, Post Skilled, 1 on 1 Skilled, Athletic, Quick, Fast and Finess SF of All Time

Last edited by CB4GOATPF : 09-09-2009 at 01:48 AM.
CB4GOATPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:24 AM   #19
momo
Value Ape.

James in a landslide, and yes he was a star. It is just that he was on an allstar team. But he was a star.
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:28 AM   #20
Big#50
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
So why are you sitting here trying to debate something you never saw and you weren't even born for?
Because on ISH every ****er is an expert on **** they know nothing about.
Big#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:36 AM   #21
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

I don't see how someone can hold Worthy's team success against 'Nique. He was not nearly as fortunate. Worthy played with the greatest center and point guard ever. Although Kareem was a bit past his prime, he remained a dominant force offensively.

Dominique's individual accomplishments are miles ahead of Worthy's. Why would we assume that 'Nique couldn't fit inand win titles with that same cast? I'd imagine that he'd love running the floor with Magic Johnson. 'Nique was on another level. In 1986 he was 2nd in MVP voting finishing behind only Larry Bird. He'd also finish 5th in 1987 and 1993 and 6th in 1988. He was a legit MVP candidate in a great era.

In 1986 'Nique averaged 30 and 8 on a 50 win team, 'Nique was better at just about every aspect of the game. He had to carry teams. Supporting casts have to come into play. I remember seeing Danny Ainge talking about 'Nique's duel with Bird and he said that if 'Nique had McHale and Parish he'd probably have 3 rings himself.

If 'Nique ever had a comparable supporting cast and failed then I'd see your point, but that's not the case.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #22
momo
Value Ape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
I don't see how someone can hold Worthy's team success against 'Nique. He was not nearly as fortunate. Worthy played with the greatest center and point guard ever. Although Kareem was a bit past his prime, he remained a dominant force offensively.

Dominique's individual accomplishments are miles ahead of Worthy's. Why would we assume that 'Nique couldn't fit inand win titles with that same cast? I'd imagine that he'd love running the floor with Magic Johnson. 'Nique was on another level. In 1986 he was 2nd in MVP voting finishing behind only Larry Bird. He'd also finish 5th in 1987 and 1993 and 6th in 1988. He was a legit MVP candidate in a great era.

In 1986 'Nique averaged 30 and 8 on a 50 win team, 'Nique was better at just about every aspect of the game. He had to carry teams. Supporting casts have to come into play. I remember seeing Danny Ainge talking about 'Nique's duel with Bird and he said that if 'Nique had McHale and Parish he'd probably have 3 rings himself.

If 'Nique ever had a comparable supporting cast and failed then I'd see your point, but that's not the case.

That's all good and logical but fails to take into account that James is simply a better player. Things that are unmistakable when watching both play.

Unique was a right hand only player. Went right. Dunked like mad, but he had one hand. He was a fair shooter. Not bad, but not money if the lane was clogged up. Was a mediocre defender. Do not believe otherwise. Was a black hole. Do not believe otherwise.

King James was a beast in the post with a money turnaround. Better defender team, one on, pressure, help and so on. Better rebounded. A very good passer to the point that the lakers could run the O through him via the post... (this is on a team with freeking magic if you want some one to run your club) and they often relied on James at times crucial times to do this. He ran the floor as well as anyone and finished on the break as well as anyone. He won at every level and it is no coincidence that he did.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #23
momo
Value Ape.

James routinely face guarded opposing teams rebounders to keep them off the glass letting Magic and KAJ get the ball. His numbers were low due to that but the effect it had on teams was devastating. I think Unique was a fine rebounder but I do think James was better.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #24
HighFlyer23
National High School Star

From what I've seen, its Nique ... Worthy wasn't a first option player ...
HighFlyer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #25
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyer23

Worthy was also far more reliable. Dominique didn't exactly go above and beyond when his team needed him. Worthy did.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #26
vert48
Can You?

I would take Worthy. He was all about the team, and did not care about stats. Just win, baby.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 AM   #27
RedZiggyZag
1 week avy bet.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
James in a landslide, and yes he was a star. It is just that he was on an allstar team. But he was a star.
Quote:
James routinely face guarded opposing teams rebounders to keep them off the glass letting Magic and KAJ get the ball. His numbers were low due to that but the effect it had on teams was devastating. I think Unique was a fine rebounder but I do think James was better.
Quote:
That's all good and logical but fails to take into account that James is simply a better player. Things that are unmistakable when watching both play.

Unique was a right hand only player. Went right. Dunked like mad, but he had one hand. He was a fair shooter. Not bad, but not money if the lane was clogged up. Was a mediocre defender. Do not believe otherwise. Was a black hole. Do not believe otherwise.

King James was a beast in the post with a money turnaround. Better defender team, one on, pressure, help and so on. Better rebounded. A very good passer to the point that the lakers could run the O through him via the post... (this is on a team with freeking magic if you want some one to run your club) and they often relied on James at times crucial times to do this. He ran the floor as well as anyone and finished on the break as well as anyone. He won at every level and it is no coincidence that he did.
Repped and I agree a 100%, Big Game James was just the superior player, and the stats may indicate otherwise, but if you watch tapes of him and if you saw how he contributed to help the Showtime Lakers win, you would know he's the superior player than Dominique. People get caught up on Dominique's flash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
I would take Worthy. He was all about the team, and did not care about stats. Just win, baby.
Unfortuntely today we penalize players for winning.
RedZiggyZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #28
momo
Value Ape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyer23

OK. What exactly HAVE you seen? Be specific.

And what are the lakers doing passing the ball to james in the post during the clutch in huge games? He may not have been the first option for touches or volume, but on a stacked team like showtime, that is a semantic argument. He was plenty clutch and plenty trusted with the rock.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #29
JohnnySic
green is good

This is like comparing Carmelo Anthony to Josh Smith.

Wilkins and its not close. Worthy may well be the most overrated player in NBA history; more so than even Penny Hardaway. As another noted, he was lucky he was in the spot he was in.

Worthy wasn't even as good as contemporaries who played the same position like Adrian Dantley and Mark Aguire, never mind 'Nique. If he played for a middle-of-the-road team Worthy would be largely forgotten.
JohnnySic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #30
JohnnySic
green is good

Quote:
Repped and I agree a 100%, Big Game James was just the superior player, and the stats may indicate otherwise, but if you watch tapes of him and if you saw how he contributed to help the Showtime Lakers win, you would know he's the superior player than Dominique. People get caught up on Dominique's flash.
Could "Big Game" James have taken over games like 'Nique, Bird, Dr J, and Bernard King did, had he been the top guy on a team and the focal point of an opposing defense? Its all speculation, but I say: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/negative
JohnnySic is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: