Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-09-2009, 01:35 AM   #16
rosonviyavong
Raps, Jazz, and UCONN

rosonviyavong has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Is it safe to say Bird "owned" Jordan?

At that times yes you can say that but we'll never know a prime Bird against prime Jordan
rosonviyavong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 AM   #17
ThatBigBlackGuy
Banned

ThatBigBlackGuy is considered somewhat coolThatBigBlackGuy is considered somewhat coolThatBigBlackGuy is considered somewhat cool

It's safe to say, you are a persistent Jordan hater. Sure, Bird "owned" Jordan, but Jordan is still greater.
ThatBigBlackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:40 AM   #18
Gifted Mind
Objectivity

Gifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this board

Another derogatory thread towards Jordan from this poster? Bird was better than Jordan in '87, but by '88 Jordan had surpassed Bird. And since you chose to emphasize on '88 by denominating Jordan's 88 MVP award as a joke, here are their head to head stats in 1988.

Cummulative Stats in 1988

Bird:
59%
33.5ppg
9.0rpg/6.3apg/1.0spg/0.3bpg

Jordan:
55%
39.3ppg
4.0rpg/7.5apg/2.8spg/1.0bpg

Jordan has the scoring edge and even dished more assists than Bird. Bird did a better job rebounding. Jordan also had more steals and blocks. However, they only partially do the job in justifying Jordan's significant advantage over Bird on the defensive end. Head to head in 1988, Jordan has a good case for doing a better job on offense, and obviously was the much more effective defender.

Factor in Bird had better defensive teammates making it even more difficult and staggering on Jordan, Jordan is the clear winner here head to head.

Thus, the 1988 MVP was no 'joke', especially considering your head to head evidence presented.
Gifted Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:41 AM   #19
CB4GOATPF
Local High School Star

CB4GOATPF has decent reputationCB4GOATPF has decent reputation

Bird is a SF-PF while Jordan was a SG...its not like he owned him but lets say that Bird always played well against Jordan`s Bulls even when he couldn`t play the same after teh 88-89 season he still held his own and gave Jordan-Pippen-Grant`s Bulls nightmares...
CB4GOATPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:51 AM   #20
Fatal9
owwwww

Fatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
Let's just ignore the fact that the entire Celtic defense was concerned only with Jordan, while the Bulls defense had to be concerned with numerous weapons for the Celts (Parish, McHale, Ainge, DJ etc.).
Usually the player on the worse team posts better numbers from game to game (have the ball in their hands more, though on lesser FG%). Better team helps Bird in w/l column but not so much in pts/reb/ast.

I just find it funny that people have this idea that Jordan owned every great player he played against, especially Bird (because they saw highlights of the 63 point game on come fly with me).

Last edited by Fatal9 : 09-09-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #21
CB4GOATPF
Local High School Star

CB4GOATPF has decent reputationCB4GOATPF has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9
Usually the player on the worse team posts better numbers from game to game (have the ball in their hands more, though on lesser FG%). Better team helps Bird in w/l column but not so much in pts/reb/ast.

I just find it funny that people have this idea that Jordan owned every great player he played against, especially Bird (because they saw highlights of the 63 point game on come fly with me).

CB4GOATPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:35 AM   #22
Jacks3
Very good NBA starter

Jacks3 is considered somewhat coolJacks3 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Jacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:13 AM   #23
madmax
Decent college freshman

madmax is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Jordan groupies will be very unhappy with this I presume Their supposed basketball god was owned by a white slow unathletic guy, drilling J's in his face...But of course, he scored 63 pts and so on, yada yada
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:20 AM   #24
godofgods
Banned

godofgods has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
And I would also agree Bird outplayed MJ from '86-'88.

This. And people still underrate Bird. Bunch of stupid racists.
godofgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:24 AM   #25
godofgods
Banned

godofgods has not been impressing people

Quote:

You are officially the best Kobe fan in this forum.
godofgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:32 AM   #26
yeaaaman
Local High School Star

yeaaaman has decent reputationyeaaaman has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax
Jordan groupies will be very unhappy with this I presume Their supposed basketball god was owned by a white slow unathletic guy, drilling J's in his face...But of course, he scored 63 pts and so on, yada yada

I'm trying to figure out if Jordan fans will be more unhappy than Kobe fans will be happy?? I think it's the latter.
yeaaaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:41 AM   #27
Soundwave
NBA lottery pick

Soundwave is considered somewhat coolSoundwave is considered somewhat cool

I don't agree with the original premise to begin with.

Looking at those stats is a wash, Jordan outscored Bird several times.

He had more assists and boards because he was a SF and had a better team.

Lets put Bird on the 86-88 Bulls and Jordan on the 86-88 Celtics.

My guess is it would get really ugly, real fast for Bird being double/triple teamed every possession.

The Celtics made it a point to not let Jordan get 50-60 points on them again after the '86 playoffs when he absolutely made swiss cheese out of their defense. So they were able to "hold" him to 30-40 points instead.

Jordan was a decent defender his first couple of years, but it wasn't really until about 1988 where he made a real commitment to be a great defensive player and won DPOY.

I'd be curious to see what their stats head to head were from 1988 to 1990.

Last edited by Soundwave : 09-09-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 AM   #28
madmax
Decent college freshman

madmax is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeaaaman
I'm trying to figure out if Jordan fans will be more unhappy than Kobe fans will be happy?? I think it's the latter.
just for a record I'm not Kobe fan, I don't even like his game, but the ridiculous overhyping of Jordan on these boards needs to stop - he couldn't win a jack in the 80's, only putting up empty stat sheets and constant loses in the playoffs, I watched him playing late in his carrer in a stacked Bulls team with a GOAT coach and still needing ref help to beat poor Jazz ( Game 6 of 1998 Finals was a disgrace of highest order). He was a very good player, but he wasn't GOD, as some posters here try to convince us.
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #29
zabuza666
Local High School Star

zabuza666 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Mind
Another derogatory thread towards Jordan from this poster? Bird was better than Jordan in '87, but by '88 Jordan had surpassed Bird. And since you chose to emphasize on '88 by denominating Jordan's 88 MVP award as a joke, here are their head to head stats in 1988.

Cummulative Stats in 1988

Bird:
59%
33.5ppg
9.0rpg/6.3apg/1.0spg/0.3bpg

Jordan:
55%
39.3ppg
4.0rpg/7.5apg/2.8spg/1.0bpg

Jordan has the scoring edge and even dished more assists than Bird. Bird did a better job rebounding. Jordan also had more steals and blocks. However, they only partially do the job in justifying Jordan's significant advantage over Bird on the defensive end. Head to head in 1988, Jordan has a good case for doing a better job on offense, and obviously was the much more effective defender.

Factor in Bird had better defensive teammates making it even more difficult and staggering on Jordan, Jordan is the clear winner here head to head.

Thus, the 1988 MVP was no 'joke', especially considering your head to head evidence presented.

Can you respond to this post please fatal?
zabuza666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #30
amfirst
Great college starter

amfirst has an OK reputation so far

I agree, some people makes it sound like MJ is miles ahead of everyone. IF that was the case the bulls wouldn't have any 7 series games and should sweep everyone.
amfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: