Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default What's The Dumbest Thing You've Ever Done?

I'm sure everyone has a few mental farts to their credit, but what's THE event that you look back on and say 'wow, I was a fu*king idiot for doing that sh*t'. The post a picture of where you live thread made me remember mine.

I used to work at the theater adjacent to the World's fair pavilion and towers, the one's popularized in 'Men in Black':

Over the years, the pavilion and tours have been allowed to rot and become dilapidated. The only use for the pavilion now is as a home for a family of racoons, a really cool studio/practice stage one of the theater's managers uses, and a perfectly isolated spot to smoke up w/o worrying about the cops rolling by

One day, one of my coworkers suggested a small group of us go up the towers since he and his cousin (another coworker) had before. I was like yeah, sure, why not?

So we got to a tear in the gate used to keep the public out, slid through and made our way towards the first tower. Found the opening, stepped inside. Now, you could instantly tell that the structure had no TLC in about 3 decades or so, there was once an elevator that led to the top of the towers, but it was sitting on the ground, smashed, w/ the wires detached from the shaft. The only way up was via a spiraling staircase that was clearly not the most sturdy thing ever.

The prospect of getting to the top of the famous landmark outweighed any reservations I had since my co-worker said he'd gotten to the top before. So I grabbed the railings, creaking already, and started making my way up, along w/ the 3 other people that were there. Every step lead to the stairway rocking a bit, always creaking. Halfway up, there were steps missing here and there and it took a mini leap to get any further.

This continued until we got to the top, and I gotta say, it was worth it

The view was spectacular, 360 eyeline of Queens and the Manhattan skyline. One of the guys suggested we try to climb up the other 2 towers, but the steps were completely missing from those and I wasn't about to shimy across railings multiple stories in the fu*cking air with no safety net, so we settled for the first tower.

Oh, before any ********* trying to be cool does it...

Alright, now that that's been dealt with. Your story?
DonDadda59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
halffttime
shorty doowop

halffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation herehalffttime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What's The Dumbest Thing You've Ever Done?

halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
BrentISballin
Local High School Star

BrentISballin has decent reputationBrentISballin has decent reputation

When I was younger a few of my friends and I thought it would be funny to shoot cars with a paintball gun. Needless to say my friend shot a rednecks pick up truck and we had a car chase all around the beltline and city. At traffic lights he got out his car and started jumping on ours and screaming like a mad man. We got away from him about 30 min later and a few 100+ mph pulls but got a call from the police the next day . Luckily nothing ever came out of it
BrentISballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentISballin
When I was younger a few of my friends and I thought it would be funny to shoot cars with a paintball gun. Needless to say my friend shot a rednecks pick up truck and we had a car chase all around the beltline and city. At traffic lights he got out his car and started jumping on ours and screaming like a mad man. We got away from him about 30 min later and a few 100+ mph pulls but got a call from the police the next day . Luckily nothing ever came out of it

I can imagine this music in the background during that chase. Good ol' fashioned ho down, hoot nanny

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 09-09-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I've done tons of dumb sh*t. Part of who I am, lol.

My greatest 'dumb' moment took place 3 years ago.

I was hiking here:

A close friend and I were messing around in a creek bed ^ as illustrated above. We had both ingested an 1/8 of mushrooms and we're going to spend the day smoking, hiking, exploring, being young, etc. We used to play this game where we would run on big rocks in this said creek bed. We'd jump from rock to rock and so on and so forth (pretty stupid in itself).

We're 2 hours or so into our trip at this point. I am about 30 yards ahead of said friend. I'm doing my thing running on wet rocks and I feel my leg give out and I'm airborne. I'm plummeting quickly towards a really sharp jagged edge face first. Everything slowed down at this point and I felt my elite survival skills kick in. I contorted my body in midair and basically hugged my knees.

I remember opening my eyes and glancing at my leg as I sat in the water. Immediately I saw my bone exposed and I had to look away. My friend was 10 or so yards behind me at this point and was laughing because he simply thought I fell. I remember calling his name and then he realized it was serious. The amount of horror that came that came over him when he got close enough to see what had happened. My skin from my shin was hanging all the way down to my foot, my bone was completely exposed, it appeared that my leg was shattered, I was losing blood quickly. Mind you we were between 2 and 3 miles (uphill) from the car and without cell phone service.

He took my shirt off and tied a tourniquet around my leg. He was grimacing the entire time. I remained very calm and was breathing really well. We calmly discussed what to do. Lots of people have mountain climbing accidents and they are typically helicoptered out from the scene. For some reason I did not want to stick around and wait. I stood up much to his chagrin and told him let's go to the hospital. I remember breathing really well and having an incredible adrenaline surge. I put my arm around him and we hiked back to the car.

The adrenalin tempered my hallucinations but he was peaking at this point. I had to give him numerous pep talks and tell him to remain calm, lol. He handled it quite well. We drove to the hospital and I told him to drop me off out front and grab my ID from the trunk.

I remember nurses running at me with with wheelchairs. I was shirtless, covered in blood/mud, and not in good shape. The nurses were even taken aback by how grotesque my cut was. They immediately starting hacking away. As the adrenalin wore off I began tripping again while in the hospital. I ended spending 8 hours in the ER and watched my leg get operated on.

Consequently I lost close to 30% of my blood. The doctors also told me had I stayed down there and waited for help I would have had my leg amputated. I ended up with staph infection which was a huge pain in the ass but at least I saved my leg. I am glad I trusted my instincts and my days of running on big wet rocks are over.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

When I turned 16, I got way too drunk with my friends and decided to go hedge diving.

If you're not familiar with hedge diving, you basically need these 3 things....

1 - lots of alcohol

2 - a hedge of reasonable height, not too high, not too low

3 - your body

...preferrably with skin.

Anyway, being drunk, young and dumb, I thought it would be cool to try and front flip over the hedge. That didn't work out too well. I managed to flip, but only half way and on top of that, I missed the hedge, so I landed on my neck on the concrete, almost breaking my neck. When I landed, I just passed out. The next thing I remember, I was waking up at my friends house with a sore neck and back, apart from that I was fine, but it was f*cking stupid to do.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield

Ouch
Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
goldenryan
I'm Back

goldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
I'm sure everyone has a few mental farts to their credit, but what's THE event that you look back on and say 'wow, I was a fu*king idiot for doing that sh*t'. The post a picture of where you live thread made me remember mine.

I used to work at the theater adjacent to the World's fair pavilion and towers, the one's popularized in 'Men in Black':

Over the years, the pavilion and tours have been allowed to rot and become dilapidated. The only use for the pavilion now is as a home for a family of racoons, a really cool studio/practice stage one of the theater's managers uses, and a perfectly isolated spot to smoke up w/o worrying about the cops rolling by

One day, one of my coworkers suggested a small group of us go up the towers since he and his cousin (another coworker) had before. I was like yeah, sure, why not?

So we got to a tear in the gate used to keep the public out, slid through and made our way towards the first tower. Found the opening, stepped inside. Now, you could instantly tell that the structure had no TLC in about 3 decades or so, there was once an elevator that led to the top of the towers, but it was sitting on the ground, smashed, w/ the wires detached from the shaft. The only way up was via a spiraling staircase that was clearly not the most sturdy thing ever.

The prospect of getting to the top of the famous landmark outweighed any reservations I had since my co-worker said he'd gotten to the top before. So I grabbed the railings, creaking already, and started making my way up, along w/ the 3 other people that were there. Every step lead to the stairway rocking a bit, always creaking. Halfway up, there were steps missing here and there and it took a mini leap to get any further.

This continued until we got to the top, and I gotta say, it was worth it

The view was spectacular, 360 eyeline of Queens and the Manhattan skyline. One of the guys suggested we try to climb up the other 2 towers, but the steps were completely missing from those and I wasn't about to shimy across railings multiple stories in the fu*cking air with no safety net, so we settled for the first tower.

Oh, before any ********* trying to be cool does it...

Alright, now that that's been dealt with. Your story?
how is that dumb?
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Senior year of high school. I was doing work for the science department. I was wheeling a cart with lab equipment and had to take the elevator from the basement back to the third floor. When I went to close the door, I accidently hit the fire alarm. For about 10 minutes, I was dodging security.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenryan
how is that dumb?

Could've fallen to my death rather easily. Everyone is more or less just waiting for the towers to collapse, the whole structure is unsturdy and rusted out. The stairwell rocked and sway and felt like it could tear off the walls with a little pressure, not to mention that steps were missing like 5 stories up.

The city pays a mountain climber a ridiculous amount of money to climb up the highest tower to replace the light at the top that airplane pilots use as a landing guide.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
goldenryan
I'm Back

goldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this board

Quote:
Could've fallen to my death rather easily. Everyone is more or less just waiting for the towers to collapse, the whole structure is unsturdy and rusted out. The stairwell rocked and sway and felt like it could tear off the walls with a little pressure, not to mention that steps were missing like 5 stories up.

The city pays a mountain climber a ridiculous amount of money to climb up the highest tower to replace the light at the top that airplane pilots use as a landing guide.
i would of done it too.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
i would of done it too.

Yeah, definitely worth the risk. Just wish I had a camera w/ me. Great views, much higher than it looks from the ground.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #13
goldenryan
I'm Back

Quote:
Yeah, definitely worth the risk. Just wish I had a camera w/ me. Great views, much higher than it looks from the ground.
that picture looks like it's from the early 70's. now it probably looks like a the real p.o.s. you descriped it as.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
that picture looks like it's from the early 70's. now it probably looks like a the real p.o.s. you descriped it as.

That's just the pavilion, which is in ok shape compared to the towers. What a waste of great real estate that is. It could be used as a concert space, museum, and a host of other things but for some reason the city is content to let it rot.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #15
goldenryan
I'm Back

Quote:

That's just the pavilion, which is in ok shape compared to the towers. What a waste of great real estate that is. It could be used as a concert space, museum, and a host of other things but for some reason the city is content to let it rot.
in ny, i'm sure that's $$$$ real estate .
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: