Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 09-12-2009, 03:21 AM   #16
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: Official ISHall of Game

Game: Street Fighter 2
Console: Nintendo
Character: Mario
Series: Zelda

Controller: PS3
Cover: Metroid
Gaming Website: IGN I guess.
bdreason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:15 AM   #17
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

Game: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Console: Nintendo (64 if you have to be specific)

Controller: Xbox 360, I like the old Nintendo ones but the 360 controller is superior (duh it came out many years after the Nintendo ones, not counting wii)
Cover: Super Mario 64 (So nostalgic every time I see it)
Gaming Website: Gamefaqs
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:04 AM   #18
ukballer
NBA lottery pick

ISHall of Game Circle of Honor - Tier One

Game: Gran Turismo - Turned people not interested in cars or racing previously into petrolheads, purely because the game was a huge leap in technological advancement.
Console: Sony PlayStation - For me, took gaming to a whole new level.
Series: Pokemon (Red, Blue, Yellow)

ISHall of Game Circle of Honor - Tier Two

Controller: Original PlayStation controller
Cover: Grand Theft Auto IV - Though I'd apply this to ANY GTA cover
Gaming Website: IGN

Wow, I'm not even a big PS fan, but I guess my votes may make you think otherwise! I guess it's because the original Playstation was my first real games console and just changed my gaming life completely.

Maybe in a few years time I'll pick the Wii Remote for a spot in the controller HOG.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:55 AM   #19
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Game: The Guardian Legend
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Character: Bonk
Series: Final Fantasy

Controller: Sega Saturn (Japanese)
Cover:
Gaming Website: Digital Press

Rhyme and reason with my selections…

The Guardian Legend is a masterpiece - shooting action combined with Zelda adventure

NES - The console that revived a dead market and shot it into the stratosphere!

Bonk - He's cool and has attitude

Final Fantasy - a franchise that has done it all… Even though I feel FFVII is overrated, its still a great game and there is a reason it has its acclaim

Saturn Controller - the most perfect controller… well built, great layout, good size. I even have one for my PlayStation systems…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #20
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Game: Its hard to pick a certain game. I think it comes down to a game that you can literally play hours on end and enjoy. So thats Super Smash Bros. Melee for me. It doesnt come from a console I play much(Im a Sony guy all the way) but, I could literally play this for ages and not get bored. Of course, Brawl is a VERY close second. I just didnt pick Brawl because its TERRIBLE with the Wiimote. Wiimote is TERRIBLE compared to the Gamecube controller in this game.
Console: PS2
Character: Master Chief
Series: WWF/WWE games(NFS in a close second, then Gran Turismo series after that)

Controller: Original Playstation controller.
Cover: Halo 1
Gaming Website: IGN, I guess. I dont go on any gaming sites, though.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #21
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Game: Resident Evil. I just downloaded on PSN. Incredible how bad it looks and controls. But I still love it. (I was very close to saying Zelda 1, whose open map and overhead view really changed games for me, from something amusing to something I had to figure out. RE, especially the first one, with the way the house opened up, was sort of a more mature version of that. Vice City was also an option. Obviously not as clean or developed as either of it's later incarnations, and not as huge as the following installment. But it's sense of time and place was incredible, Miami in the 80s. Really major voice acting. More open ended play. And really funny with ton of Satire.)

Console: PSII. Incredibly long viability. Huge library that includes so many of my favorites.

Character: Lara Croft (Aha!) Another series that is close to my heart. All the puzzling elements and exploration stuff was right up my alley. It got a little too out there for a while though, with cloud city levels and stuff. The auto targetting on the move was so much fun. And all the crap she could do before most other characters, run, walk, run and shoot, shoot one handed or two, all the weapon switching, the climbing, jumping, crawling, shimmying, strafing, swimming. And the little details you could find, like the handstand and the swan dive. She could do so much stuff to get from point A to point B at a time when a lot of characters were trained military killers yet couldn't jump, or negotiate a three foot wall. And the animations were great. And she wore short shorts and great cans, I know.

Series: GTA. Everything from Vice City on has been completely absorbing for me. (RE is close for me too, as 4 is really close to the top of my list as well as one. But there's been too much iffy side story crap I've bought over the years, and even 2 felt too linear to me, and actually disappointed a bit. It was like a tree design. You can go one of two ways, one had a locked door, the other a key, which opened the door, and gave you another two options. I liked this most recent one, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. It's probably the most linear of the series, and mission based at that. But the story and combat worked well. I know I was destined to be disappointed, and I was a bit. I stopped playing Zelda after 2, otherwise it would probably be higher.)

Controller: NES Advantage (Those turbo buttons really were cheating). The dual shock 2 is close though. I'm surprised no one has brought up the Wii controller yet, the controller that sold a billion systems.

Cover: I can't remember too well. This was a great cover recently that I remember:

Gaming Website: I use four:
Gameinformer.com, in part because I get the magazine for free, so I can sign in.
Gamepro.com. I think because I accidently typed it in trying to get to Gameinformer once.
IGN.com, IGN is the most classic of them, easy to navigate, and has a wealth of info on games that you may be playing, so I'll say IGN is the best. The best at helping you through a tough spot without just telling you step by step.
Kotaku.com, which has the most breaking info. Kotaku is better than IGN for new release and development info. It's worth checking out.

Last edited by Thorpesaurous : 09-12-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #22
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

Game: Goldeneye
Console: Genesis
Character: Sonic

Controller: Xbox 360
Cover: Tourist Trophy

Last edited by phoenix18 : 09-12-2009 at 01:56 PM.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #23
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

Just read through all of them, some very good responses. Clearly a lot of people aren't into reading about video games on the internet.

I agree with Thorp for the series (at least I currently do, it might change when I place my vote). GTA has been huge for videogaming, bringing it attention it didn't get through controversy, selling millions of copies, and spawning many a wannabe. The detail on the cities is incredible, the storylines, characters and voice acting superb.

Also, their experimenting with DLC really gets me excited. You're not downloading new armour or a couple extra levels; you're downloading a whole new experience.
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #24
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Game: A Link to the Past
I would still always call adventure games my favorite type of games. Whether it is an Action game, an RPG, puzzle, whatever, it's the adventure that matters. The Zelda series is considered the golden adventure standard of adventure gaming, but I don't like most of the titles as much as some other people. But A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, that's where it's at. Link's Awakening was probably my first truly epic gaming experience, but I consider ALttP just a slight notch above it.

Console: Nintendo Gameboy
Okay, I know it's technically a handheld. But it was my first and I never quit playing it all the way up to the release of the GBA in the early 00's.
So this was the 3d breakthrough era. You had most notably the Playstation and PC cranking out the Tomb Raiders, Crash Bandicoots etcetera by the dozen. Looking back at those games, it was really mostly a bunch of trash.
And there I was with my little 8bit, playing Links Awakening, Pokémon, Tetris, Megaman and all those other great titles having more fun. Because can you go back and play those early 3d games and still have fun? No, you really can not. But these 8bit zero color GameBoy games have stood the test of time.

Character: Guybrush Threepwood
Now, greatest character? Classical anti-hero, but only one of so many obviously, within the genre. The main thing about Monkey Island though, is that it's just really well written, and that's why Guybrush needs some props. It would be better to just nominate the entire cast of the games, but I guess I can't do that. I can still remember pretty much all the schemes in the second and third games, wonderful stuff.

Series: Super Mario
Boy, this was an easy one. Super Mario Bros., SMB3, Super Mario World, Mario 64, Super Mario Kart. Nuff said.

Controller: The GameCube controller
As far as game controllers suited for 3d games go, it took them 6 years to get it right. The Playstation controller, the N64 controller, the DC controller. All had their charm, all had plenty of flaws.
Now, the GC controller has it's flaws, but the flaws are that it is a little cheap looking and it misses one shoulder button. But the dimensions and button placements they got right.
Microsoft followed suit, and I'm pretty sure Sony will swallow their pride eventually as well.

Cover: Jeez, I don't know.

Gaming Website: Gamefaqs.com
At least it's useful.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #25
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I feel like I missed out on some great experiences by losing Nintendo after the original NES. I went to Genesis second, then Playstation, then PSII, then PSIII.

The original Zelda and Metroid especially are on my very short list of favorite games ever. I remember not caring for the second Zelda, I didn't like the enemy cuts to the side scroller. It really bothered me, and that game alone probably helped send me to the Genesis.

But seeing all these people listing these sequels to games I loved and never played is tough for me.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #26
Kungfro
NBA lottery pick

I'm gonna change my controller vote to the 360 controller.

Game: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Console: Super Nintendo

Controller: Xbox 360
Cover:
Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #27
Kungfro
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I feel like I missed out on some great experiences by losing Nintendo after the original NES. I went to Genesis second, then Playstation, then PSII, then PSIII.

The original Zelda and Metroid especially are on my very short list of favorite games ever. I remember not caring for the second Zelda, I didn't like the enemy cuts to the side scroller. It really bothered me, and that game alone probably helped send me to the Genesis.

But seeing all these people listing these sequels to games I loved and never played is tough for me.

You should download an emulator like ZSNES and give those games a shot.
Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #28
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

I put this on the OP as well, so you can always find the tally there.

Updated Nomination List as of 27th post in thread for 2009 Inductions

Game: LoZ: Ocarina of Time (5), LoZ: A Link to the Past (2), Goldeneye (1), Gran Turismo (1), The Guardian Legend (1), Mortal Kombat 2 (1), Resident Evil (1), Streetfighter 2 (1), Super Smash Bros Melee (1), Tetris (1)

Console: NES (5), Super Nintendo (3), N64 (2), PS2 (2), Gameboy (1), Genesis (1), Playstation (1)

Character: Mario (9), Sonic (2), Bonk (1), Guybrush Threepwood (1), Lara Croft (1), Master Chief (1)

Series: Legend of Zelda (6), Final Fantasy (2), Super Mario (2), GTA (1), Half-Life (1), Mortal Kombat (1), Pokemon (1), WWF/WWE (1)

Controller: Gamecube (3), PS (3), XBox 360 (3), NES (1), NES Advantage (1), N64 (1), Saturn (1), SNES (1), PS3 (1)

Cover: Bioshock (1), Doom (1), Goldeneye (1), Grand Theft Auto IV (1), Halo (1), Sonic the Hedgehog (1), Super Mario Bros 1 (1), Super Mario 64 (1), Mega Man (1), Metroid (1), Tourist Trophy (1)

Gaming Website: IGN (7), GameFAQs (3), Gametrailers (2), Digital Press (1), Gamespot (1)
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #29
lazerface
everything must go

Game: super mario bros. 3
Console: super nintendo
Character: mario
Series: mario bros.

Controller: xbox 360
Cover: another world
lazerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #30
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Game: Resident Evil
Console: PS2
Character: Bonk
Series: Resident Evil - How could this be left out?

Controller: SNES
Cover: Doom
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: