Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports
 
All Net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,747
Default The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

What you think?

Pau had his injury and seems to of healed but he is still playing eurobasket and playing pretty well but is playing this euro tourney good or bad thing for the season ahead? more so If Spain go deep and win it..although that is unlikely considering how bad they are playing.

I know Pau is still young at 29 but still will this hurt him and L.A when it comes to june time?
All Net is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
SoCalMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 23,361
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

I wonder how much euroball helps contribute to improving his NBA game???




SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,934
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I wonder how much euroball helps contribute to improving his NBA game???





Probably 0 contributions. He's just patriotic and I suppose thats good for him, but he has a contract with the laker to honor.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
SoCalMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 23,361
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Probably 0 contributions. He's just patriotic and I suppose thats good for him, but he has a contract with the laker to honor.

I was thinking on the same lines, and I kinda wish he spent this time in the weight room to be honest.



SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,934
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I was thinking on the same lines, and I kinda wish he spent this time in the weight room to be honest.




I agree, it drives me crazy how people were saying he got bigger, he got stronger. I didn't see a change in body type or weight or anything. The difference was he played aggressive and was motivated to win.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,699
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I was thinking on the same lines, and I kinda wish he spent this time in the weight room to be honest.




ahh, one of my birthday wishes errr my daughter's wishes
If you look at the before and now pictures of Odom and Bynum, everybody would notice the added bulk in thier arms and back. I agree with GTS, somehow they should draw the line somewhere esp with regards to nagging injuries and risks. For me too, there should be a limit on the type or level of competition like it's ok if it's the olympics but not for other tournaments and how many times they have rendered their services for their country already.
Lastly, I really like the fans and owners to be fair about this. Like if you don't want Pau to compete, then you should feel the same with with Kobe for the US team.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
SCV42
Buck Foston
 
SCV42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: sixsixone
Posts: 319
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I was thinking on the same lines, and I kinda wish he spent this time in the weight room to be honest.




I completley agree. He needs to add a little bit of muscle. He came into last season not looking as anemic as he had in previous years when it looked like he couldn't curl a Q-Tip in the weight room. Hopefully he can avoid further injury to that finger. I always get nervous when players risk injuries playing with their country whilst under contract with an NBA team.
SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
gts
Sons of Antartica
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 29,200
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

i'm fine with him playing euro ball. most players spend the summer working out to stay in shape, playing a few games this time of year is a good warm up for him...

he played in 81 games last season. averaged 37 minutes a game (team high) and was a key player in the lakers title run... all that after a much busier summer last year with the olympics...

as for bulking up, these are the same things folks said about Kareem...

that's bynum's job to be the big man in the paint. at 29 pau is too old to be adding alot of weight or muscle mass to his frame. it could effect his game, he is and has always been a finesse player. power is not his game and i'm afraid that he'd be less effective if at this stage in his career if he tried to change the foundation of what got him where he is today..
adding the extra weight or muscle could actually be a detriment during the late parts of the season or to his long term health because he is not naturally a "big man" he's tall but he is not bulky by nature, just like kareem was.. like i said 37 minutes a game over 82 games, never missed a beat, anchored the center spot while bynum was out.. why fix something that isn't broken
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
SoCalMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 23,361
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
i'm fine with him playing euro ball. most players spend the summer working out to stay in shape, playing a few games this time of year is a good warm up for him...

he played in 81 games last season. averaged 37 minutes a game (team high) and was a key player in the lakers title run... all that after a much busier summer last year with the olympics...

as for bulking up, these are the same things folks said about Kareem...

that's bynum's job to be the big man in the paint. at 29 pau is too old to be adding alot of weight or muscle mass to his frame. it could effect his game, he is and has always been a finesse player. power is not his game and i'm afraid that he'd be less effective if at this stage in his career if he tried to change the foundation of what got him where he is today..
adding the extra weight or muscle could actually be a detriment during the late parts of the season or to his long term health because he is not naturally a "big man" he's tall but he is not bulky by nature, just like kareem was.. like i said 37 minutes a game over 82 games, never missed a beat, anchored the center spot while bynum was out.. why fix something that isn't broken

I agree with just about everything you say, however, Kareem was deceivingly strong and an expert at using his body for leverage. I don't think Pau has that kind of strength relative to his weight and build.

With my comment, I did not suggest that he "bulk" up per se as I agree that it would not be good for him... but I think he could do some strength conditioning to make his body stronger which would only help his back and help him in the paint. And at age 29, that could extend his career. There is a lot he could do in that area that playing euroball kinda prevents.

I agree that he does not need to be a bulky kinda guy as his build does not even lend itself to that.


SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,934
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I agree with just about everything you say, however, Kareem was deceivingly strong and an expert at using his body for leverage. I don't think Pau has that kind of strength relative to his weight and build.

With my comment, I did not suggest that he "bulk" up per se as I agree that it would not be good for him... but I think he could do some strength conditioning to make his body stronger which would only help his back and help him in the paint. And at age 29, that could extend his career. There is a lot he could do in that area that playing euroball kinda prevents.

I agree that he does not need to be a bulky kinda guy as his build does not even lend itself to that.



Kareem was aggressive. It isn't necessarily strength Pau needs, he's already pretty strong down low as we've seen him back guys in and come away successful.

When we lost in the finals, that whole intimidation factor prevented guys like Pau from being aggressive which explains his very low point average in that year's finals.

If all the players play aggressive on both ends of the court then repeating won't be as hard even with all the stacked teams this year. I would like to see Pau get in a good month rest or something before the season starts.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar
 
ihatetimthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 13,378
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
i'm fine with him playing euro ball. most players spend the summer working out to stay in shape, playing a few games this time of year is a good warm up for him...

he played in 81 games last season. averaged 37 minutes a game (team high) and was a key player in the lakers title run... all that after a much busier summer last year with the olympics...

as for bulking up, these are the same things folks said about Kareem...

that's bynum's job to be the big man in the paint. at 29 pau is too old to be adding alot of weight or muscle mass to his frame. it could effect his game, he is and has always been a finesse player. power is not his game and i'm afraid that he'd be less effective if at this stage in his career if he tried to change the foundation of what got him where he is today..
adding the extra weight or muscle could actually be a detriment during the late parts of the season or to his long term health because he is not naturally a "big man" he's tall but he is not bulky by nature, just like kareem was.. like i said 37 minutes a game over 82 games, never missed a beat, anchored the center spot while bynum was out.. why fix something that isn't broken

Good post and I agree.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #12
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star
 
picc84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wash. D.C.
Posts: 8,676
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

Its good that he's keeping in shape but bad b/c of injury potential. Ideally I would like him to play a few games, practice and train with the team, and avoid injury. I almost want him to get eliminated from the tournament sooner than later.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
gts
Sons of Antartica
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 29,200
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by picc84
Its good that he's keeping in shape but bad b/c of injury potential. Ideally I would like him to play a few games, practice and train with the team, and avoid injury. I almost want him to get eliminated from the tournament sooner than later.
i used to think that way but things like elton blowing out his achilles working ot on his own and other injuries to players just getting tuned up for the season changed that. as long as they are under watchful eyes of coaches and trainers i'm ok with it, it's even probably better then guys playing pick up games in the park or gym...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,934
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
i used to think that way but things like elton blowing out his achilles working ot on his own and other injuries to players just getting tuned up for the season changed that. as long as they are under watchful eyes of coaches and trainers i'm ok with it, it's even probably better then guys playing pick up games in the park or gym...

Are you sure about that? guys in pickup games barely even try. In the NBA though or other pro leagues they're running running their hardest without any regard to how they will land after getting a rebound or etc. Thats just my personal opinion.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #15
triangleoffense
Lakers 14-15 go
 
triangleoffense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,313
Default Re: The fact Pau Gasol is playing eurobasket...good or bad?

he'll be fine. He's only playing a couple of games. If anything he can sit on some preseason games. I doubt he'll miss a beat
triangleoffense is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy