Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 09-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default John Lucas Joins Clippers Coaching Staff

Quote:
The Clippers are set to hire John Lucas, the former NBA player and coach, as an assistant on Mike Dunleavy's staff.

Lucas was over at the Clippers' headquarters in Playa Vista this morning and the deal was expected to be completed later today.

It will be a one-year contract.

Lucas, whose head coaching record was 174-258 in stops at San Antonio, Philadelphia and Cleveland, has been running highly regarded camps and clinics in Houston, training the likes of Kobe Bryant and LeBron James and many of the current Clipper players.

Lisa Dillman @ the LATimes

Wow, this would be a great pickup for us.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: John Lucas Joins Clippers Coaching Staff

Its official. John Lucas is the Clippers newest assistant coach.

Quote:

Coach Mike Dunleavy lures the respected former NBA player and coach to the team in a one-year agreement.

The idea of hiring John Lucas had been percolating in Mike Dunleavy's mind for quite a while, and finally it came time to put it out there.

"It was one of those ideas," said Dunleavy, the Clippers' general manager and coach. "Hey, unless I ask him, I won't know."

Dunleavy said Thursday morning that Lucas, a respected former NBA player and coach, was at the team's offices in Playa Vista and would be joining the Clippers' coaching staff.

Lucas has a long-standing relationship with Dunleavy, and many of the current Clippers have worked out with Lucas at his Houston base.

"We talk all the time and we've always stayed in touch," Dunleavy said. "It was just one of those situations where I started thinking about guys who were available. Guys that were really good who have a lot of energy.

"So I called him. He said, 'I wouldn't do this for a lot of guys. Yeah, I will. For you, I'll come.' "

Dunleavy said that the agreement would be for one year.

Lucas' head coaching record in the NBA was 174-258 at stops in San Antonio, Philadelphia and Cleveland.

Lisa Dillman, LATimes

AMAZING. Could be the best move Dunleavy has pulled since he fleeced the Wolves and got Sammy AND a first for Marko/Chalmers
Old 09-18-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Im very happy to read this.. he should be a great addition..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

His track record as a coach is not impressing but I like that he has good relationships with most of the players.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab0yech0
His track record as a coach is not impressing but I like that he has good relationships with most of the players.

Im hoping he helps with team unity.. even if its wishful thinking..
Old 09-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab0yech0

Which is we brought him in for. Grgurich would've been great, but he elected to stay with Denver, and Lucas is great for team chemistry and is respected by a ton of players in the league, along with retired players and coaches. Could really help us. Him and Hughes make a great assistant duo as well.

Plus, check this article (ESPN Link is dead). LeBron said he wouldn't play for Cleveland after they fired Lucas (we all know how that ended up though):

Quote:
Lebron Will Never Play for the Cavs
Jan 23, 2003 12:54 PM EST

According to ESPN, the Cleveland Cavaliers might have opened up a bigger can of worms after the firing of head coach John Lucas.

Monday's move might have damaged relations with high school phenom LeBron James, the 6-8 senior from St. Vincent-St. Mary who is the projected No. 1 pick in the NBA draft.

Citing a source close to the SVSM team, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Thursday that the firing did not go over well with James.

"I tell you what, LeBron will never play for the Cavs after this," the source told the newspaper. "LeBron really likes coach Lucas. He was mad when he heard about it."

James and Lucas' connection goes back to last summer, when James attended a private workout with some of the Cavaliers. The NBA suspended Lucas for two games at this season's start and fined the team $150,000 for a violation of league rules.

Lucas apparently also heard about James' reported feelings about his dismissal.

"I appreciate what LeBron said, but now I want my money back," Lucas told the newspaper, laughing.

James has no control over which team drafts him in June, but if he did not want to play for that team, he has some choices.

A team that drafts a player in the first round owns that player's rights until next year's draft if the team makes the player an offer by July 15. If the player does not sign, he can re-enter the draft and can be selected by any team. James could sit out a year, or according to the report, use the "threat" of not playing as trade leverage.

"Kobe [Bryant] and a lot of other guys have had a say about which franchises they wanted to play for, and this might make LeBron cross the Cavs off his list," the source told the Plain Dealer.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar..._for_the_cavs/

Could Dunleavy be trying to get leverage in the LeBron sweepstakes?

Last edited by qrich : 09-18-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich

oh sh!t.. that is funny..
Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Which is we brought him in for. Grgurich would've been great, but he elected to stay with Denver, and Lucas is great for team chemistry and is respected by a ton of players in the league, along with retired players and coaches. Could really help us. Him and Hughes make a great assistant duo as well.

Plus, check this article (ESPN Link is dead). LeBron said he wouldn't play for Cleveland after they fired Lucas (we all know how that ended up though):

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar..._for_the_cavs/

Dunleavy is smarter than we thought. He should sign Dru Joyce or one of Lebron's buddies to 1 yr minimums or to our dleague team
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
PockyStick
Can barely lace up my sneakers

PockyStick has an OK reputation so far

I think Lucas wants a NBA job and Dunleavy is just helping out.

Quote:

I really would not put much stock into this hire. This simply looks like Lucas wants to get back in the NBA coaching ranks - working as an assistant being part of the procedure. Lucas won't be here for more than a season, unless Dunleavy has plans to step down and to give Lucas the reins. Despite whatever intentions Lucas has, our young players(Griffin, EJ, Jordan) will likely benefit from his tutoring. I really doubt the benefits will ever be noticeable. Maybe Lucas will improve their work ethics or citizenship, we don't know.

Simply put, Mr. Foster is suffering what I call the ABCD - Always Bad Clippers Disorder. A lot of Clippers fans just get overly excited whenever a roster transaction or front office move is made. Remember Derek Anderson, and how he was supposed to be our version of Kobe? What about hiring Mike the best coach in the league, Mike Dunleavy. Kandi man...oh wait. Most recently, the acquisition of Bdiddy.

http://www.clipperscurse.com/transac...bcd-johnlucas/

PockyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyStick
I think Lucas wants a NBA job and Dunleavy is just helping out.

Even if that is the case, I'll take it and run because if the team starts out bad, I'm pretty sure Dunleavy will be canned and either Lucas or Hughes will be named the coach, which is a plus in most peoples opinions.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:31 AM   #11
nbastatus
Doodle

nbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternbastatus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Is he good?
nbastatus is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: