Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 09-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default The Craig Hodges factor

If there is anyone who has has insider knowledge on what specific role he plays for the Lakers. I read he is a special assistant primarily works on specific players's offensive skills which is shooting. Did he worked on players like Shannon Brown and Trevor Ariza etc. What is the direct effect,
1.Is it more luck,
2system(being placed in great sweet open spots,
3.or the defense focussing too much on Kobe and Pau
4. Or Craig Hodges really helping out these players improve on their shooting form.
I think it has to be a combination of these factors but at what extent and how much credit exactly should Craig get for working on certain players?
Look at Shannon Brown, had a career FG % of 41% and 32 % from the 3pt line(that included his stint with the Lakers, if you exclude it, it's much lower!)
With the Lakers, his FG% is 52% and 66.7% from the 3pt line.
Trevor Ariza has 29% 3pt FG, with the Lakers, 33% and 32 % respectively.
Ariza's first 4 years his FG% was really down.
I know this data is way too limited, but what do you guys think?
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The Craig Hodges factor

I would suggest PMing DKLaker to make sure he sees this. He might have some insight.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

he is the shooting coach.. he was interviewed last spring on the mason and ireland show (pod cast may still be avaliable)... he just works with the players on shooting skills and being consistent. i don't think he even travels with the team
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

gts's post made me undo the lazy thing i did earlier in punting to DKLaker , and i hopped onto the google highway.... there are some interesting articles on his role on the lakers but also on his more interesting past, and here are a couple for you:
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:15 AM   #5
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Ok, you guys got the info on this already....good.

Funny thing......I actually worked with Craig's brother, gosh......25 years ago....man i'm old I did get some sweet free tickets out of him but lost touch.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
he is the shooting coach.. he was interviewed last spring on the mason and ireland show (pod cast may still be avaliable)... he just works with the players on shooting skills and being consistent. i don't think he even travels with the team

Thank you guys for responding to this thread, I really appreciate it.
I really think he has something to do with the improvement of the the shooting of Brown and Ariza(both increased their shooting percentages esp Shannon) but my question is to what extent? Did he really worked on these guys or not? How much credit should he really recieve? Is it more of Kobe and Pau attracting too much attention or the system allowing them to get to their sweet shooting spots? I am also aware that Sasha also struggled last year, but Im not sure if he worked with Hodges tho.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
Thank you guys for responding to this thread, I really appreciate it.
I really think he has something to do with the improvement of the the shooting of Brown and Ariza(both increased their shooting percentages esp Shannon) but my question is to what extent? Did he really worked on these guys or not? How much credit should he really recieve? Is it more of Kobe and Pau attracting too much attention or the system allowing them to get to their sweet shooting spots? I am also aware that Sasha also struggled last year, but Im not sure if he worked with Hodges tho.
wish we could find that interview.. in a nutshell he said he works with all the players, he doen't teach them how to shoot or try and change their shot/mechanics what he does is teach them how to make the same shot over and over, that's his approach to being a shooting coach
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: