Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #31
la bomba
Local High School Star
 
la bomba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,050
la bomba has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman
Yep, I don't see them being very competitive for a little while. But once the roster gets more experienced I think they'll be able to make things a little more interesting in the upcoming years.
Partizan are a basketball school they will always be as competitive as they can regardless of roster. They beat unicaja in Malaga can't be that bad.Can't see any of the useless german teams that we get every year do that.The french too,though ASVEL so far have proved competitive and are a tough team to beat. Barca,madrid and panathinaikos are a step ahead of everyone else
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #32
Huey Freeman
PAO
 
Huey Freeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,455
Huey Freeman has decent reputationHuey Freeman has decent reputation
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Every single Barcelona game I've seen so far they just basically destroy the other team. They're a great team all around.

Also, Juan Carlos Navarro got screwed in his rating in NBA Live 10 this year. He's much better than 65 overall rating.
Huey Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #33
Huey Freeman
PAO
 
Huey Freeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,455
Huey Freeman has decent reputationHuey Freeman has decent reputation
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
Partizan are a basketball school they will always be as competitive as they can regardless of roster. They beat unicaja in Malaga can't be that bad.Can't see any of the useless german teams that we get every year do that.The french too,though ASVEL so far have proved competitive and are a tough team to beat. Barca,madrid and panathinaikos are a step ahead of everyone else
Yep, also they beat Olympiacos a few weeks ago too! I have to say it looks like Partizan are playing well together as a team.

Very close game today for Partizan against Efes Pilsen. The score right now is 46-42 Efes with the first half almost over.
Huey Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #34
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,708
Lakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
Partizan are a basketball school they will always be as competitive as they can regardless of roster. They beat unicaja in Malaga can't be that bad.Can't see any of the useless german teams that we get every year do that.The french too,though ASVEL so far have proved competitive and are a tough team to beat. Barca,madrid and panathinaikos are a step ahead of everyone else

Olympiacos is better than Real is. You might be able to say that Barca and PAO are above other teams, but not Real. They are below Olympiacos and are actually certainly no better than Siena. Actually no better than CSKA either. The main advantage they have is that they have a much better coach than those other teams. But even then - the coach difference would not get them past a team like Olympiacos. It can probably lead them past teams like Siena and CSKA though.

As for Partizan, they have the best home court on the planet. That has always been 50% of their success. Also, this year their main contribution comes from Maric. Maric never went through their program and was developed in Australia and the US. I agree that Partizan will always be competitive because they are so well organized and they have the best home court. However, I still don't think they will advance past the first round. On the road they are a very easy opponent for most clubs.

And even if they do barely make the top 16 (which I still don't think they will) then they will have no shot at going further than that. They will still be really tough at home (especially if they play any games at the big arena), but they will struggle badly on the road. The truth is that despite their legendary basketball school, if they did not have the super home court advantage they would just be another crap team every year like the French clubs, the German clubs, or like the other Adriatic clubs.

Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo : 12-11-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Lakas Fan Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #35
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,708
Lakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman
Every single Barcelona game I've seen so far they just basically destroy the other team. They're a great team all around.

Also, Juan Carlos Navarro got screwed in his rating in NBA Live 10 this year. He's much better than 65 overall rating.


Navarro is a great player and would easily be an excellent player in the NBA. Incredibly underrated by NBA fans. However, he tends to be overrated by European fans. The main reason being games like you are talking about. This is what he does. He has a great game and shoots lights out and wins the game and then he has a horrible game, misses those same shots and brings his team a loss. The norm for him is that no Barca team with him as the best player can win the Euroleague and he always chokes at the critical moment.

That's why it's strange to me that everyone is so enamored with Barca. They are led by a guy that while being a great player, has not been able to lead a team to the Euroleague title when he is the best player on the team. And make no mistake about it, with all due respect to guys like Lorbek - Navarro is definitely the best player Barca has.

Of course Barca always has the big advantage of being the favorite team of the people that founded ULEB, but they still don't seem like championship material to me. The best players they have are Navarro and Lorbek and to me there has not been a Euroleague champion in awhile that had the two best players in that level. Usually, the teams that win the title have better stars than that. But we will see if they keep up their performance so far as a team and if Navarro can take that next step as a player and win a Euroleague title while being the main player.

Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo : 12-11-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Lakas Fan Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #36
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Maga_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,505
Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
Olympiacos is better than Real is. You might be able to say that Barca and PAO are above other teams, but not Real. They are below Olympiacos and are actually certainly no better than Siena. Actually no better than CSKA either. The main advantage they have is that they have a much better coach than those other teams. But even then - the coach difference would not get them past a team like Olympiacos. It can probably lead them past teams like Siena and CSKA though.

As for Partizan, they have the best home court on the planet. That has always been 50% of their success. Also, this year their main contribution comes from Maric. Maric never went through their program and was developed in Australia and the US. I agree that Partizan will always be competitive because they are so well organized and they have the best home court. However, I still don't think they will advance past the first round. On the road they are a very easy opponent for most clubs.

And even if they do barely make the top 16 (which I still don't think they will) then they will have no shot at going further than that. They will still be really tough at home (especially if they play any games at the big arena), but they will struggle badly on the road. The truth is that despite their legendary basketball school, if they did not have the super home court advantage they would just be another crap team every year like the French clubs, the German clubs, or like the other Adriatic clubs.

This post was your best post ever, congrats.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #37
Huey Freeman
PAO
 
Huey Freeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,455
Huey Freeman has decent reputationHuey Freeman has decent reputation
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Lietuvos Rytas vs. Olympiacos is a close game so far. Lietuvos is up by one and it's near half time.
Huey Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #38
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,708
Lakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Maroussi got a huge win in Rome against Roma. They needed to win by 13 to break the tie breaker and they did. I bet Maroussi is really angry now that they let Khryapa and CSKA hit that miracle 3 pointer at the buzzer to beat them because if not for that they could pretty much already punch their ticket to the Top 16 already.

But because of that shot now they are going to have to beat either Baskonia or Maccabi to qualify which is unlikely. Amazing how that shot at the first game could end up costing them the whole season.
Lakas Fan Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #39
Huey Freeman
PAO
 
Huey Freeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,455
Huey Freeman has decent reputationHuey Freeman has decent reputation
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

What the hell happened to Panathinaikos?

With work, I was only able to catch the last 4 minutes of the Panathinaikos vs. Real Madrid game.

Edit: Only a 9 point game now. Go Panathinaikos!

Edit 2: Oh well, decent try for a comeback. Real Madrid wins. :\

.

Last edited by Huey Freeman : 12-17-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Huey Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #40
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,708
Lakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman
What the hell happened to Panathinaikos?

With work, I was only able to catch the last 4 minutes of the Panathinaikos vs. Real Madrid game.

Edit: Only a 9 point game now. Go Panathinaikos!

Edit 2: Oh well, decent try for a comeback. Real Madrid wins. :\

.

It's the first phase. I know you are new to Euroleague. So I will explain it simply. The first phase means absolutely nothing to the top Euroleague teams like CSKA, PAO, Siena, Barca, Olympiacos, Real. But in this case maybe it means a little more to Real than it normally would because they are a new team with a bunch of new players and a new coach.

But really the first phase means nothing at all to such teams. It's only mid and lower level teams that are competing as hard as they can along with some of the second tier clubs like Baskonia, Maccabi, Khimki - those types of teams that need as good a draw as possible in the Top 16 to help their playoff situation.

This phase is basically the same as the early part of an NBA regular season. It's basically practice games for some of the best clubs. Now when the top 16 starts then you can use games to judge and gauge where teams are it. Of course even then I think even in the top 16 some of the best clubs hold back a little.
Lakas Fan Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #41
b.jerk
High School JV MVP
 
b.jerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 656
b.jerk has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Caja Laboral belongs in the discussion. I'm going to be watching more euroleague, the nba mentality of justifying and ignoring anything if the guy can play or make money is worst than I thought.
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #42
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,708
Lakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.jerk
Caja Laboral belongs in the discussion. I'm going to be watching more euroleague, the nba mentality of justifying and ignoring anything if the guy can play or make money is worst than I thought.

Baskonia is a competitor for top 8, but I doubt they make the final four.
Lakas Fan Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #43
la bomba
Local High School Star
 
la bomba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,050
la bomba has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
Navarro is a great player and would easily be an excellent player in the NBA. Incredibly underrated by NBA fans. However, he tends to be overrated by European fans. The main reason being games like you are talking about. This is what he does. He has a great game and shoots lights out and wins the game and then he has a horrible game, misses those same shots and brings his team a loss. The norm for him is that no Barca team with him as the best player can win the Euroleague and he always chokes at the critical moment.

That's why it's strange to me that everyone is so enamored with Barca. They are led by a guy that while being a great player, has not been able to lead a team to the Euroleague title when he is the best player on the team. And make no mistake about it, with all due respect to guys like Lorbek - Navarro is definitely the best player Barca has.

Of course Barca always has the big advantage of being the favorite team of the people that founded ULEB, but they still don't seem like championship material to me. The best players they have are Navarro and Lorbek and to me there has not been a Euroleague champion in awhile that had the two best players in that level. Usually, the teams that win the title have better stars than that. But we will see if they keep up their performance so far as a team and if Navarro can take that next step as a player and win a Euroleague title while being the main player.
someone said about your post about madrid not being better than olympiakos that that was your best post ever,it was a good post but then you spoilt it with this one!! barca not looking like championship material? I am not saying they will win it,but they certainly look like championship material,you better start watching them.Navarro is a great player,but barca have a great team led by a great coach(yes Pascual is a great coach) Rubio is being impressive of late,Mikael is one of the toughest players to guard in the league,Morris can shot the 3 as well as anyone,Lorbek is class,Vazquez on his day can be lethal and together with Ndong is very intimidating in defence,Grimau and Sada can annoy the **** out of any player,and then Basile is Basile,With lakovic who can also kill a team from 3point range,I really don't think you have seen barca play much,look at their stats they are destroying everyone even Siena!
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #44
la bomba
Local High School Star
 
la bomba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,050
la bomba has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Euroleague Starts Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
Baskonia is a competitor for top 8, but I doubt they make the final four.
agree with bjerk you cant talk of a team who has been in most of the last final fours as second tier,behind siena who has made 1!
Especially when they are second in the best league in Europe! you know what I mean Lakas,lol
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy