Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 09-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Cggamer12
I brick open layups

Cggamer12 has decent reputation
Default 2009-2010 Season Preview

Everyone obviously knows that the 2009-2010 Season is coming up in not too long. While the players prepare very hard for the season, I figured I'd give my own opinions of where this team may be headed and how I think the individuals will do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRAVIS DIENER:

Owns some potential at the point guard position. While he has played nicely off the bench for us in previous years, it's hard for me to imagine he will be getting much play time for us barring some type of string of injuries. In my opinion, a player worthy of being trade bait at some point in a package. Could be traded for a second rounder, or to fill the need at another position. With the play time he has, he needs to improve on his defense, but provides a relatively consistent long ball when needed late in games.

MIKE DUNLEAVY:

One of the Pacers top scorers of the past few seasons is obviously plagued with injury. If he could become healthy, he can certainly step into this rotation as a starter and spread the floor nicely. I would expect him to try to get to the lane on a consistent basis, seeing as he goes up strong on nearly every shot that he takes. Is a great free throw shooter, and spreads the floor very nicely. He will compliment Granger extremely well, as he has done over the past few seasons with us. I feel once he is 100%, he will have the best season he has ever had with us, maybe best in his career.

T.J FORD:

Expected to start at the Point Guard position for the Pacers this upcoming season. He could be given a little bit of competition by new Point Guard Earl Watson, but I see it unlikely he will lose his starting job. One of the more creative point guards in the league, he should still have a good amount of assists with the Pacers and the many scoring threats we have on the team. I am a little bit concerned with some of the sloppy play he tends to have, but then again, who doesn't play bad occasionally? Free throw shooting needs to improve (In the Clutch), he shot it pretty well overall last season. If he stays healthy, gives us a speedy player who can run the floor to Jim O' Brien's liking.

JEFF FOSTER:

The longest tenured Pacer, Foster returns to the team as the veteran. I still see him playing Center this year backing up Roy Hibbert, even though I always felt like he would be better off playing the 4 because of his smaller size standing at only 6'10. However, despite his growing age, expect him to be scrappy on the boards still, while he provides energy coming off the bench, and maybe at times, starting. I expect to still see plenty of him, making the assumption that Hibbert will still have some trouble with the fouls. He's not gong to score a lot of points, and he isn't going to load the stat sheet. But the experience he brings is immeasurable, and he will continue to do much of the dirty work for the blue and gold.

DANNY GRANGER:

Where do I start on this one? I would expect nothing less of Danny to once again come out and prove to the rest of the NBA that he is indeed one of the elite players of the league. I expect somewhere around 25 ppg again, and for his defense to improve. He has always been criticized for his lack of defense, and I for one, have always felt it was respectable. He is athletic, and often times will come from behind for blocks, and picks up on screens very well. He will be the go-to-guy once again, and I would expect him to again hit some crucial shots for us over the course of the year. With the added defensive approach the Pacers have now adopted, I expect him to lead us into the Playoffs for the first time in years.

TYLER HANSBROUGH:

Still nursing an injury, it seems unlikely we will see much of Hansbrough in this preseason. I don't know the exact severity of his injury, so it could ultimately be a while until we see him. However, I remain optimistic that he will be able to play in the season opener for us. A straight up hustle player, he has never been a pretty player. He will be much like a smaller version of Jeff Foster, except with a better touch. He will get those loose balls, battle for rebounds, crash the offensive boards, and I expect he will be at the foul line quite a bit. However, many of the shots he got off in college will get swatted in this league, so hopefully he can adjust his shot once he initiates contact.

LUTHER HEAD:

Don't know a ton about Head, but I have watched him back in the day when he played at Illinois. A great shooter, I would expect him to spread the floor and be able to take those short little jumpers, as well as knock down the 3 ball. He has quite a bit of athletic skills, and can run the floor. With the injury to Mike Dunleavy, it appears possible that he will maybe get some time playing the 2 position behind Dahntay Jones and Brandon Rush. Larry didn't sign him for no reason, so I would expect he can contribute immediately.

ROY HIBBERT:

A good addition last season, I expect Roy to be more well prepared to play defense. He struggled heavily with foul trouble last year, and I would hope that he has learned how to defend more effectively without fouling out. A great mid range jumper and a smooth jump hook should play into his arsenal of weapons. I would hope to see him averaging double digits in points this season, and I can see his rebounding average improving as well. Should start this season, and can be an effective defender.

DAHNTAY JONES:

In my opinion, a very reliable signing this off season. Some people think that the Pacers overpaid him, but regardless, that doesn't really matter now. It is what it is, and he will be a great addition to the team. A relentless, in your face type of defender, he should give us a wing player who could play the 2 or the 3 positions when needed. He can also shoot the 3 ball for us, even though scoring is not his main priority. He will provide a lock down defender to play against guys like LeBron and Wade and company.

SOLOMON JONES:

A 6'10, seldom used young forward from Atlanta, I can see Jones working his way into the Pacers front court rotation, especially with the Hansbrough injury. I haven't watched much of his game besides Youtube clips, which doesn't really give me a good idea of how he plays. However, everything I have watched and read has indicated he has some very good shot blocking skills. He is one of the University of South Florida's all time shot blocking leaders, so expect him to be able to provide some difficulties down low for opponents. If he can develop an offensive game, he could really provide a strong threat with his 7'4 wingspan, and hops out the roof.

Last edited by Cggamer12 : 09-29-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Cggamer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Cggamer12
I brick open layups

Cggamer12 has decent reputation
Default Re: 2009-2010 Season Preview

Continuation....

JOSH MCROBERTS:

A local Indiana product, coming out of Carmel High School, I truly do like McRoberts and his game. He provides a lot of energy coming off the bench for this team, and at times has shown signs of strength. This is going to seem like the harshest thing that I write, but I truly can not see him making the 12 man active roster for very long this season. We added depth, and McRoberts appears to not really have a spot on this team. I sincerely hope he gets the opportunity to play this year, but in my opinion I can't see it happening. Hopefully, he proves me wrong.

TROY MURPHY:

One of our most consistent players, Murphy is a great deep threat big man. He is a good trailer on a fast break, and his favorite spot is probably the top of the key. I can see big things from Murphy again this season, and he gives Granger a good player to relieve some of the pressure off of. He has been a rebounding machine in the last season, and once again I see him averaging about a double double a night. I can't imagine a huge difference in his stats this year, but he is as consistent as they come.

A.J PRICE:

A player that I never really got a chance to watch play too much. From the little that I did see in his career, he was a great consistent scorer, who the Pacers could use in the future. I feel like there is a possibility that we may decide to send him to the D-League and let him develop there, even though the Pacers are notorious for not using the D-League. He showed some great stuff in the Summer League, and in future years could be a solid member of this team. However, I don't see much of an impact for him this year.

BRANDON RUSH:

A freakish athlete, this should be the breakout season for Rush. He really turned his game on towards the end of last year, and should be one of the pleasant surprises this season. With the Injury to Mike Dunleavy, expect Rush to see more than enough play time this year, with the possibility of starting. I am expecting double digits in points, and feel like with his athleticism, he could really help us on the defensive end of the floor.

EARL WATSON:

One of the Pacers free agent pickups this year out of Oklahoma City, Watson has been in this league for several years and looks to be one of the leaders in the locker room with his veteran experience. He plays very hard every game, and absolutely hates to lose. He is known mostly for his defense, which is the main theme obviously for the Pacers this season. I truly belive this could be the breakout season for Watson, as the Pacers style suit him very well. There is a chance he starts, but I like him better off the bench as a defensive stopper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this shows a little bit of my views on this upcoming season. I tried to keep it short and sweet to insure I didn't bore you (Which I may have haha). I think there are a lot of positive things going on in the organization that the Pacers and their fans should be optimistic about. If everything falls into place just right, this should be a playoff season.

Hopefully you enjoyed the read
Cggamer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

mateo31 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: 2009-2010 Season Preview

As a fellow Pacers fan I appreciate the effort you put into this thread. I am really interested in seeing how the shooting guard rotation turns out. I love the scoring threat Mike Dunleavy/Danny Granger provide from the perimeter. I also love how Brandon Rush played at the end of last season. He can score off the dribble, shoot the long ball, and he is a fine defensive player. Dahntay Jones like Rush is a fine defensive player. I am starting to repeat some of your main points Cggamer12. Anyway, like I said it will be interesting to see who gets the minutes between D. Jones/Rush/Dunleavy (a healthy Dunleavy hopefully). Then theres Earl Watson & Luther Head who could see some time as well at shooting guard.

It will also be interesting for me to see big Roy Hibbert. I know he had some foul problems last season, but I was still impressed with some of the things he could do out on the court. He's got a nice touch down low (nice hook shot), and he can be a presence in front of the basket on the defensive end. I have heard he works very hard and hopefully that work will pay off for him.

Let's go Pacers!
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: