Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #16
Darkess
High School Varsity 12th Man

Darkess has not been impressing people

The audience doesn't like it, therefore the station changes it to view what the consumers want and get better reviews/ratings.

How is that NOT American?
Darkess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #17
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
No one is saying she's right or wrong....but she has right to express herself artisticially as she pleases....

that's as American as it gets...

It's American to toy with what people hold in high esteem, no wonder the world at large isn't in love with America. In Europe people don't have the right to deny genocide, I don't see you getting nervous about that.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #18
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

If she really wanted to show how edgy she was, she'd dress up in a hijab and/or mock the prophet Mohammed, but we all know that'll never happen. Double standards and hypocrisy.

For the record, I feel that anyone should be free to say anything about anyone and any religion (I'm a Christian, btw). However, NBC, being a network transmitted on public airwaves, is under no obligation to further her "message" if they feel it will upset or alienate a large portion of their viewership or have repercussions for their advertisers. It goes both ways.

Free speech was never meant to be used to compel others to provide you with a venue for your speech, or else I'd be legally entitled to force the Dolans to allow me to use MSG as a podium from which to promulgate my views. Madonna has enough money to create her own TV channel; if she feels that her rights are being infinged upon in some way by NBC's legitimate decision (which is in their best interests), she is free to air her program uncensored on her own TV channel or PPV event. That's not censorship -- hell, it's not even de facto censorship.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #19
Jerm

Loki's post above confirms the view world over that Christians are wimps who can't and don't stand up for their religion. If Madona tries that with Muhammad, she'll probably never live to see tomorrow. Christians? they take it with a huge smile fo whatever reason.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #20
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
Loki's post above confirms the view world over that Christians are wimps who can't and don't stand up for their religion. If Madona tries that with Muhammad, she'll probably never live to see tomorrow. Christians? they take it with a huge smile fo whatever reason.
It's wimpy not to kill someone for thinking differently than you?
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #21
Loki
Banned

Quote:

Wimps? More like we're commanded to forgive and turn the other cheek. But whatever floats your boat. I see people like her (and like you if your post wasn't facetious) as misguided; the proper response is to educate and/or pity depending on the severity of the case, not riot and/or behead.

If you call rioting and violence "standing up for one's religion," well, I have a feeling that you'll be in for a rude awakening one day down the road when the rest of the world no longer tolerates acts of violence precipitated by what are ultimately innocuous remarks. Free speech is indeed under attack, but not from the corners you suppose.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:58 PM   #22
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
what the hell are you talking about? do you realize how stupid as **** you are? you're not allowed to depict the prophet Muhammad if you're Muslim. but Christians have crosses around their necks and paintings of Jesus in their churches and on their walls and as their computer monitors. isn't a crucifix with Jesus draped over it the symbol for the Catholic church? the image of Jesus is a very common thing in the Christian religion as well as secular America. the image of the prophet Muhammad is FORBIDDEN. it is not at all a similar situation.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #23
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

And you think this is a BAD Christian quality? yikes....

so people should kill other people because they offend your religion. it's a sad world we live in...
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:10 PM   #24
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkess
The audience doesn't like it, therefore the station changes it to view what the consumers want and get better reviews/ratings.

How is that NOT American?

^^^What he said. It's not censorship. She can say or do whatever she wants, but NBC has no obligation to show it.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #25
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPower
^^^What he said. It's not censorship. She can say or do whatever she wants, but NBC has no obligation to show it.

I never said NBC doesn't have right NOT to show it.

What I'm saying is people's answers to the question...do they believe in letting her express herself or whether they want it suppressed...

most people didn't vote for freedom of expression, which is scary....
Old 10-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #26
Jerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
It's wimpy not to kill someone for thinking differently than you?

No, it's wimpy letting others ridicule what you believe in. Big difference between standing up for what you believe and killing others for thinking differently.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #27
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Does this make you nervous?

not really. no

I figure, if I was a madonna fan, I find a way to see whatever it was she was doing and cencorship wouldnt stop me
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #28
Loki
Banned

Quote:
No, it's wimpy letting others ridicule what you believe in. Big difference between standing up for what you believe and killing others for thinking differently.

Then define "standing up" for us, Jerm. Because to my mind, standing up would include things like letter-writing campaigns, peaceful protests etc. -- you know, the sort of things that Christians do all the time. Standing up for one's religion should not include things like rioting or any sort of violence, or even the threat of violence.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #29
Jerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
what the hell are you talking about? do you realize how stupid as **** you are? you're not allowed to depict the prophet Muhammad if you're Muslim. but Christians have crosses around their necks and paintings of Jesus in their churches and on their walls and as their computer monitors. isn't a crucifix with Jesus draped over it the symbol for the Catholic church? the image of Jesus is a very common thing in the Christian religion as well as secular America. the image of the prophet Muhammad is FORBIDDEN. it is not at all a similar situation.

What the hell are you talking about?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #30
bagelred
Weird

Quote:

Well maybe the Christian thing to do would be to allow her to express herself, you know...do unto others....

Isn't that what religion is all about? Peace and harmony....otherwise, what's the point of religion....
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: